The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Can I do this?

To cut it short, I am due to start a module in Feb next year. I'm not too sure if I want to study it or not anymore.

There is another module I wish to study (however in a completely different subject and is linked to a qualification) which also starts in Feb.

I have been allowed funding for the first module, therefore could I "transfer" it to the other module? They're both about the same price (level one courses).

I've emailed the OU and awaiting an answer but the cut-off for funding for the new module is in a few weeks so want to get the ball rolling.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Taken from the OU FAQ section...

"Can I change my course or module?
You can change your course or module to another, at any time before the start date of your original course or module, as long as there are enough places on your new choice of course or module. If there is a difference between your original fee and the new fee you will be required to pay this before we can register the change. If your new course or module is cheaper than the original, you will receive a full refund of the difference.

If you want to change after your course or module start date you may be entitled to a discount on the fee of another course or module, as long as it will start within 18 months of your original start date and the fee has been paid in full at the date of the transfer. You will not be entitled to a discount on any course or module if the date of your withdrawal is on or after the first day of any residential school that you must go to. Short courses or modules do not qualify for any such discount.

If you are thinking about changing or withdrawing from study, please telephone us as soon as possible on 0845 300 60 90 to talk through your options."
Reply 3
Thanks everyone for your advice - will call the OU later today as don't want to wait for an email! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lau_88
Thanks everyone for your advice - will call the OU later today as don't want to wait for an email! :smile:

You definitely can - if they're the same price, you'll get the same funding, if not, they'll reassess it for you. But you can definitely switch the funding to another course, I did it myself a few months ago :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alawhisp
You definitely can - if they're the same price, you'll get the same funding, if not, they'll reassess it for you. But you can definitely switch the funding to another course, I did it myself a few months ago :smile:

Hi thanks, yes I think they're the same price!

I rang the OU and they cancelled the module I didn't want to study & reserved a place on the new one. They said that they've contacted the finance office and they'll be in touch to go over everything and then register me. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lau_88
Hi thanks, yes I think they're the same price!

I rang the OU and they cancelled the module I didn't want to study & reserved a place on the new one. They said that they've contacted the finance office and they'll be in touch to go over everything and then register me. :smile:

Aha, I just rang the financial office right from the start to ask whether or not I could do it, and ended up switching modules on the phone there and then :tongue: It can take a little while for StudentHome to update, and the financial application might not show up with the new module name - but if they say they've sorted it out for you, then there's no need to worry :h:
Reply 7
Original post by alawhisp
Aha, I just rang the financial office right from the start to ask whether or not I could do it, and ended up switching modules on the phone there and then :tongue: It can take a little while for StudentHome to update, and the financial application might not show up with the new module name - but if they say they've sorted it out for you, then there's no need to worry :h:

I didn't know who to call specifically so just rang the main helpdesk and they sorted it out for me.

The new module is already on my studenthome page so that's good & hopefully finance should be sorted within the next couple of days (or so the man on the phone said lol).

Let's hope it's done quickly and then I can start my prep reading! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest