The Student Room Group

hardly going to get any money :(

I have several questions.

I will probably accept my offer at Huddersfield, which is £7,500 a year.
Question 1: Do I only get £7,500 from the government or can I still apply for £9,000?

The accomodation at Huddersfield costs £3,956 a year (Storthes Park)
I will only receive about £4,200 for maintenance loan! (Think I get the lowest or second-lowest loan) Don't get no grants, me.
Question 2: How the hell do I manage this?!

I have a part-time job that I am able to transfer with, but is anyone else in the same position as me?! What do I do?
1. You don't 'get' £7500 from the government at all, it goes directly to the university, and you'll only pay back £7500 because that's what it costs each year.

2. A lot of students in this position, you're expected to A) Ask your parents for money. B) Get a part-time job.
You'll only get the correct amount for your tuition; no more.
Most people have a short fall between their loan/grant and the amount things cost. Your options are:

1) Use savings if you have any.
2) Get a job now and start saving.
3) Borrow (or ask for) money from parents or other family if you're lucky enough to know people who have some "spare".
4) Get a job while you're at uni.

5) This is an absolute MUST, but you HAVE to have a budget. There are plenty of value foods that you can buy if you need to budget, you'd be surprised with just how little some people manage to survive at uni.
Reply 3
Sorry BritishBloke didn't realise the use of 'get' deserved sarcasm marks, there was really no relevance in pointing that out.

And yeah I will be earning around £70 a week with my part-time job..but is it enough?
Reply 4
And I currently have £325 saved up tehehehe
Reply 5
You can live easily off £70 a week. Some weeks I haven't spent anything because I haven't gone out that week and didn't have the need to go food shopping (I alternate weekends because I have stocks of food anyway like pasta, beans etc).

Although Fresher's Week will annihilate your savings if you aren't careful, and then you have no back up. Considering you are getting such a low amount to live off you need to budget straight away, factoring costs such as Fresher's and your textbooks into account in the first month.
Reply 6
I guess it's too late to talk about it, but halls is the most expensive place to live...
Well, if you have a part-time job and are going to work at least 8 hours a week, believe me, you will survive.
I get £150 quid a month and on my second year now it seems like a hell of a lot of money. If you learn how to manage your earnings an spendings, everything will be fine. Tesco value food and frosty jack's ftw..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending