The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Student - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hello, I was wondering if it is likely that I would get accepted into your Accountancy and Finance course in 2014. This year I have done 5 intermediate 2's and achieved 5 A's. They were in English, Maths, Physics, Information Systems and Business Management. I also have all of these subjects with an A at intermediate 1 level from S4.

Next year I will be in S6 and will be taking all 5 subjects I sat in S5 and got 5 A's in at Higher level. What grades would I need in these Highers to maybe gain a conditional offer roughly?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I'm in year 12 and I'm looking at what university to go to. But I'm not quite sure what is happening with the fees for people with dual nationalities to go to Scottish universities. I'm half German and have a German passport, but I was born in England and have always lived here. Will I be able to qualify for reduced fees or not? Thanks.
Hey there,

Thanks for the question - and well done on this year's results!

Here is an extract from the Accountancy and Finance entry requirements for 2014...

Highers: AAAAB (including Maths and English or a humanities subject) in first sitting = unconditional offer. Applicants who achieved AAAA or AAABB (including Maths and English or a humanities subject) at their first sitting WILL receive an offer from the University. This offer may be conditional (on second sitting results) or unconditional, depending on how many applications are received from students who have attained these grades.

Additional offers, either conditional or unconditional, MAY be made to applicants who achieved AAAB, AABB or ABBB at their first sitting. A decision re these applications will be made in March 2014 once all applications have been reviewed. Applicants who receive an offer conditional on second sitting results will be required to study Advanced Highers in relevant subjects as an integral part of their conditional offer.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/accountancy/#tabs=2

So, four A's and one B will get you an unconditional!

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Student Recruitment

Original post by Nsk
Hello, I was wondering if it is likely that I would get accepted into your Accountancy and Finance course in 2014. This year I have done 5 intermediate 2's and achieved 5 A's. They were in English, Maths, Physics, Information Systems and Business Management. I also have all of these subjects with an A at intermediate 1 level from S4.

Next year I will be in S6 and will be taking all 5 subjects I sat in S5 and got 5 A's in at Higher level. What grades would I need in these Highers to maybe gain a conditional offer roughly?
Hey Brocklehurst95,

Thanks for the email. The area of fee status is a little complicated - but explained more fully on our website. Basically you need: An EU passport dated prior to 1 August (the effective date) in the year in which they you applying to attend the University ; AND
Evidence that you have been living, working or studying in the EU country for a period of at least 3 months.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/scholarships/feestatus/

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Student Recruitment

Original post by brocklehurst95
I'm in year 12 and I'm looking at what university to go to. But I'm not quite sure what is happening with the fees for people with dual nationalities to go to Scottish universities. I'm half German and have a German passport, but I was born in England and have always lived here. Will I be able to qualify for reduced fees or not? Thanks.
Original post by Rio-Glasgow
Hey Brocklehurst95,

Thanks for the email. The area of fee status is a little complicated - but explained more fully on our website. Basically you need: An EU passport dated prior to 1 August (the effective date) in the year in which they you applying to attend the University ; AND
Evidence that you have been living, working or studying in the EU country for a period of at least 3 months.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/scholarships/feestatus/

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Student Recruitment

Thanks a lot. I'll check over the details on the website and see if I'm eligible. Thanks again.
Reply 185
Hey there,

Thanks for the question - and well done on this year's results!

Here is an extract from the Accountancy and Finance entry requirements for 2014...

Highers: AAAAB (including Maths and English or a humanities subject) in first sitting = unconditional offer. Applicants who achieved AAAA or AAABB (including Maths and English or a humanities subject) at their first sitting WILL receive an offer from the University. This offer may be conditional (on second sitting results) or unconditional, depending on how many applications are received from students who have attained these grades.

Additional offers, either conditional or unconditional, MAY be made to applicants who achieved AAAB, AABB or ABBB at their first sitting. A decision re these applications will be made in March 2014 once all applications have been reviewed. Applicants who receive an offer conditional on second sitting results will be required to study Advanced Highers in relevant subjects as an integral part of their conditional offer.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/accountancy/#tabs=2

So, four A's and one B will get you an unconditional!

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Student Recruitment

The only problem is that I will be sitting my Higher final exams in 2014, and when I apply I will not have sat my exams yet. So do I just need to get four A's and one B prediction to gain a conditional? As I wouldn't have had my results until after.
Original post by Nsk
The only problem is that I will be sitting my Higher final exams in 2014, and when I apply I will not have sat my exams yet. So do I just need to get four A's and one B prediction to gain a conditional? As I wouldn't have had my results until after.

You apply with the grades you've got in S4/5 and then if you need them your predicted grades for that year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My story is a bit of a complicated one! I'm looking to apply in 2014 for Anatomy or Zoology. I was previously at a different university doing MA Geography and I completed 1 1/2 years there before leaving because I was not suitable for a transfer. The grades I currently have aren't enough to apply straight away so I'm going to study HNC in Applied Sciences first. My question is, does Glasgow treat students who have previously dropped out any differently during the application process? And when applying with a HNC, are Higher grades taken into equal consideration or is the HNC grade more important?

Thanks!
Reply 188
Original post by munchen102
Hi, I will be starting an engineering course this September and was wondering if there would be an opportunity to learn a language along side it? The independent courses are pretty dear so I was wondering if there would be an option to study a language alongside my engineering studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the website they have credit bearing language courses for Engineers in French and German don't know about any other languages so I'm just going to self study:tongue:
Original post by Direct15
On the website they have credit bearing language courses for Engineers in French and German don't know about any other languages so I'm just going to self study:tongue:

Yeah I seen that so does that mean you can chose to study one of those languages and it counts towards your course? I want to learn German!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
My story is a bit of a complicated one! I'm looking to apply in 2014 for Anatomy or Zoology. I was previously at a different university doing MA Geography and I completed 1 1/2 years there before leaving because I was not suitable for a transfer. The grades I currently have aren't enough to apply straight away so I'm going to study HNC in Applied Sciences first. My question is, does Glasgow treat students who have previously dropped out any differently during the application process? And when applying with a HNC, are Higher grades taken into equal consideration or is the HNC grade more important?

Thanks!

My story isn't too different really. I've done two years psychology in the university of edinburgh and decided to apply for the university of glasgow in january there. I haaaaate edinburgh. Glasgow don't do transfers directly into 3rd year for psychology so im having to start in 1st year again (it sucks but I cant imagine another two/three years at edinburgh)

Glasgow offered me a place and only asked for my HNC results though (not highers or anything) and the whole dropping out of Edinburgh thing didnt seem to be taken into consideration. So ill be starting in Glasgow in september :smile:

Sorry for rambling, long story short...im pretty sure that theyll only consider your HNC results, and not highers or the fact that you dropped out :smile: Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 191
Yeah I seen that so does that mean you can chose to study one of those languages and it counts towards your course? I want to learn German!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if it counts towards but how did I guess it was German :tongue: Personally I want to learn Mandarin since I would be able to pick up Japanese pretty quickly and well it is a emerging economy but I would rather self study :colondollar:
Original post by StarlightBliss
My story isn't too different really. I've done two years psychology in the university of edinburgh and decided to apply for the university of glasgow in january there. I haaaaate edinburgh. Glasgow don't do transfers directly into 3rd year for psychology so im having to start in 1st year again (it sucks but I cant imagine another two/three years at edinburgh)

Glasgow offered me a place and only asked for my HNC results though (not highers or anything) and the whole dropping out of Edinburgh thing didnt seem to be taken into consideration. So ill be starting in Glasgow in september :smile:

Sorry for rambling, long story short...im pretty sure that theyll only consider your HNC results, and not highers or the fact that you dropped out :smile: Good luck with everything :smile:

Oh thanks so much that's really helpful and has put my mind at ease! :smile: I hope you get on well at Glasgow!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
You can't get an unconditional with predictions can you? Even if I get 5 A's in higher PREDICTION? It would have to be an conditional for me since I will only have predictions when I apply I think?
Original post by Nsk
You can't get an unconditional with predictions can you? Even if I get 5 A's in higher PREDICTION? It would have to be an conditional for me since I will only have predictions when I apply I think?

Yeah you need to actually have the grades to get an unconditional.
Original post by Direct15
I don't know if it counts towards but how did I guess it was German :tongue: Personally I want to learn Mandarin since I would be able to pick up Japanese pretty quickly and well it is a emerging economy but I would rather self study :colondollar:

Haha, no possible clue!! Yea I tried self learning but it's hard when it's on the Internet! A good website to check out is www.memrise.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
Haha, no possible clue!! Yea I tried self learning but it's hard when it's on the Internet! A good website to check out is www.memrise.com

Posted from TSR Mobile

I use it already, only problem is that you don't really learn the characters but the sounds so I get a trusty notepad out and re-write and re-write. German will probably be easier since it shares the same grammar patterns i.e.:

English: Ben loves Jenny
German: Ben loves Jenny
whereas
Japanese/Korean/Mandarin: Ben Jenny loves

But hey I love a challenge, only thing I'm worried about is if I'll ever get a job in one of these countries or if my work is for nothing:frown:
Original post by Vitamin D

Thanks!

Hey there Vitamin D,

You got a good answer already on this one - so I won't add too much other than to confirm what StarlightBliss wrote (who has excellent taste in universities btw!). The fact that you dropped out of a previous degree would NOT be taken into account in your application. Your HNC would be suitable for entry - as long as you achieve an A in your graded unit - to first year Anatomy or Zoology. The thing you might have to think about - and seek advice from SAAS - is the situation with your financial support (fees, bursary, loans, etc) because you will have done 2.5 years of FE?HE by the time you'd be coming here.

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Recruitment
Reply 198
For Accounting and Finance it says that a GCSE Grade B is needed in English, on my first sitting of Intermediate 2 English I got an C because my questions didn't come up in the critical essay part, and on my second attempt I got an B, would I still have a chance to get in as I am doing Higher English this year anyway?

Also, would I need to write on my UCAS application that I did a second sitting? I heard you only need to if its for higher as that's what's mainly required?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey there Vitamin D,

You got a good answer already on this one - so I won't add too much other than to confirm what StarlightBliss wrote (who has excellent taste in universities btw!). The fact that you dropped out of a previous degree would NOT be taken into account in your application. Your HNC would be suitable for entry - as long as you achieve an A in your graded unit - to first year Anatomy or Zoology. The thing you might have to think about - and seek advice from SAAS - is the situation with your financial support (fees, bursary, loans, etc) because you will have done 2.5 years of FE?HE by the time you'd be coming here.

Hope this helps?

Best,
UK Recruitment

Ah yes good old SAAS :rolleyes: I've done a bit of researching about fees/funding etc already so I have a good idea of what I'll be up against in regards to that. Thank you for the response though! Really put my mind at ease. I hope I can join you guys in a years time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending