The Student Room Group

We should ALL be striking/protesting about the government wasting our money!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HARRY PUTAH
LABOUR GOVERNMENT 11 YEARS

Read up, learn, digest then shush.

LABOUR ARE NO LONGER IN CHARGE
The Conservatives can blame the previous government all they like but that doesn't change the fact they're in power now and it's their problem now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by welshyelmo
Go to his office and punch him in the face.

Not for political reasons. Just because it would be a great story to tell the grand-kids one day.

Gotta admit, I Lol'd :biggrin:
Original post by Taggart

so you having a couple of extra pounds a week in your pension is more important than stopping people from starving to death?

To be frank, yes. Starvation is a perpetual problem in many parts of Africa. Throwing money at them doesn't fix the problem. It only postpones it.

On the other hand, we do need to keep other countries on favorable terms with us.
Reply 43
Original post by BigWilfo
If EVERYONE striked, that means there is a day in the calander where very little people are working, which is very bad for the economy. It would be wasting money to strike, as it puts a hold on loads of buisnesses in the UK, meaning there not going to make as much money, which they could then put back into the economy. You talk of wasting money, and give one example with the NHS which is valid. The reason for the cuts haven't been for THIS governments poor money control, it was due to Labour giving money out like it was going out of fashion, leading to the dependency culture we live in today, with benefit frauds and whatnot wherever you turn. The cuts are there to try and pay back our debts, and return our economy on to the straight and narrow. Yes, a little bit of money was wasted on the NHS, but compared with the amount that Labour wasted in its term of government, it is very little, and it is due to this that our government now has to make sacrifices.

I seem to recall everyone given the day off for a certain couple's wedding and it didnt cause economic doomsday... >_>
Reply 44
Original post by Math-Illiterate
..."It's not our job". Christ humanity is a ****ing mess.

What do we pay them for then?
Reply 45
Original post by Disastor
I seem to recall everyone given the day off for a certain couple's wedding and it didnt cause economic doomsday... >_>

Obviously not when we had thousands of tourists coming in and spending lots of money on our businesses and pumping money into our economy.....
Reply 46
Original post by Beebumble
LABOUR ARE NO LONGER IN CHARGE
The Conservatives can blame the previous government all they like but that doesn't change the fact they're in power now and it's their problem now.

A wee analogy for you. You own a house and go on holiday. Squatters move in and they trash the place. You eventually get them booted out and move back in to your house. Who do you blame for mess you have to sort out?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by viffer
A wee analogy for you. You own a house and go on holiday. Squatters move in and they trash the place. You eventually get them booted out and move back in to your house. Who do you blame for mess you have to sort out?

Another analogy you buy a derelict house. With the aim of doing it up. Who's job is it to sort it?
Reply 48
Original post by Beebumble
Another analogy you buy a derelict house. With the aim of doing it up. Who's job is it to sort it?

Fair question but I guess it'd come to whether the house being derelict/trashed was due to the neglect and incompetence by previous tenants. As that pretty much sums up the last administration then your analogy is probably better. If it was deliberately trashed then mine would apply. :smile:
Original post by viffer

This analogy forgets that the Tories never complained about Labour's economic policies, so you'd have to change it to say, "You and your friend are in charge of a house. You both take turns to be leader. The house gets messed up and looted over a 30-year-long house party and by the time you both realise what's happened it's too late. Luckily for you, your friend was in charge when the truth came out, so you can happily blame him for anything while selling off what's left of the furniture".
Reply 50
Original post by grass mud horse
This analogy forgets that the Tories never complained about Labour's economic policies, so you'd have to change it to say, "You and your friend are in charge of a house. You both take turns to be leader. The house gets messed up and looted over a 30-year-long house party and by the time you both realise what's happened it's too late. Luckily for you, your friend was in charge when the truth came out, so you can happily blame him for anything while selling off what's left of the furniture".

:biggrin:
Reply 51
Why is it in the public sectors interest to spend money wisely? It isn't their money to begin with, they didn't earn it, they were granted it. There is no real ownership of the money since it wasn't earned. How can you expect people to be responsible with money they don't earn?
Original post by viffer
Fair question but I guess it'd come to whether the house being derelict/trashed was due to the neglect and incompetence by previous tenants. As that pretty much sums up the last administration then your analogy is probably better. If it was deliberately trashed then mine would apply. :smile:

Yes it was the fault of the previous tenants but they're long gone now. You can either sit complaining that they ruined it or you can move on and get on with the job you took on.
Reply 53
Original post by Math-Illiterate
Instead of protesting the problems, why not help with providing solutions?

Ok, so we have to provide a solution... for the people we pay, to handle our money for the country? What sense does that make.. they might as well not even be paid. It's their silly attitutde, and their I don't give a crap factor, that makes them do a sloppy job, they pretty much don't care if they get sacked, because at the end of the day they are rich, from all the money they've been taking from us..
Original post by Keckers
Why is it in the financial sectors interest to spend money wisely? It isn't their money to begin with, they didn't earn it, they were granted it. There is no real ownership of the money since it wasn't earned. How can you expect people to be responsible with money they don't earn?

fixed :tongue:
Original post by Lol_Fish
Ok, so we have to provide a solution... for the people we pay, to handle our money for the country? What sense does that make.. they might as well not even be paid. It's their silly attitutde, and their I don't give a crap factor, that makes them do a sloppy job, they pretty much don't care if they get sacked, because at the end of the day they are rich, from all the money they've been taking from us..

"help".
Reply 56
Original post by grass mud horse
fixed :tongue:

That's an issue caused by government privatising profit and collectivising losses.
Reply 57
That would work :rolleyes: Everyone loses a days wages, the government loses a days worth of taxes, and increases rates to recoup the loss (however unlikely). We'd be no better off with a days strike...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by BigWilfo
Obviously not when we had thousands of tourists coming in and spending lots of money on our businesses and pumping money into our economy.....

Not really... there wasn't much of a crowd when I watched the wedding and I have yet to talk to anyone who actually gave a **** about the wedding

How can money come in when nobody was working and there wasn't many tourists
Reply 59
Original post by ash1011
That would work :rolleyes: Everyone loses a days wages, the government loses a days worth of taxes, and increases rates to recoup the loss (however unlikely). We'd be no better off with a days strike...

The government needs a complete overhaul, an upstanding Prime Minister and a decent leading party who will listen to the people.

That said, I still maintain my national pride, though it's getting harder everyday.

Alas, 20 years time, we won't have to worry, the country will not longer belong to the brits, Immigration will force brits to be the minorities.

*nevermind*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending