The Student Room Group

Where to download Eclipse C Compiler?

I would like to start learning the C programming language.

If I wanted to download the Eclipse compiler, which I have briefly used on someone else's PC, would anyone be kind enough to show me the link to where I download this?

As I'm starting from scratch, I know nothing about compilers. When I go to their site, I'm faced with lots of downloads, so I'm not sure which is the compiler for compiling in C

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

Is Eclipse Classic 3.7.1 possibly it? Thanks
Reply 1
They've cunningly given it the hard-to-recognise name of "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developers". Since it's hidden all the way down at 5th link from the top, I've bravely fought through to this page for you.

There's a direct download link too.

Edit: Wow, an upvote. I was expecting a downvote with the comment "sarcastic aren't you" :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by roblee
They've cunningly given it the hard-to-recognise name of "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ developers".

I know, they're so sneaky.
Eclipse isn't actually a compiler, it's an integrated development environment (fancy name for a text editor).

The Eclipse C/C++ packages for Windows, although they are the right choice if you want to develop C programs, don't include a compiler; you need to get one from elsewhere. I believe both MinGW and Cygwin are compatible.

So, yes - they have been quite sneaky :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by maturestudy
Eclipse isn't actually a compiler, it's an integrated development environment (fancy name for a text editor).

The Eclipse C/C++ packages for Windows, although they are the right choice if you want to develop C programs, don't include a compiler; you need to get one from elsewhere. I believe both MinGW and Cygwin are compatible.

So, yes - they have been quite sneaky :tongue:

I didn't know that. Thank you, and also for the links.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending