The Student Room Group

Secret Santa...do I go with alcohol?

Right the situation is I'm in a secret santa thing and the guy I've been given..I know NOTHING about. Budget is £10 or so, I usually go a bit over.

Pretty much all I know is..he does go out a decent amount, ergo he drinks.

So part of me is thinking to just spend say £15 on something like

70cl bottle of JD (it's £16 down from £22 at Sainsburys, why you'd spend £15.92 on the 50cl I don't know..)

70cl bottle of Southern Comfort (it's not a girls drink it tastes fab..)

Flavoured Absolut vodka is like £13 a bottle at the moment too, maybe play it safe and go with vanilla or original though.

oooh..Finlandia vodka is down from £16 to £13, though I wanted to try that myself..

Basically..would this be a decent idea? If not...what the hell do I get this person?! I have NO IDEA.
(edited 12 years ago)
when in doubt, alcohol is always the solution
Reply 2
70cl JD is £15 at asda at the moment btw , but when I'm stuck for ideas for secret santa i check out hawkins bazaar, you can get cool and fun presents from there that people generally really like but if I'd still be pretty happy if someone got me alcohol for secret santa :smile:
What's the relevance of SoCo not being a girls' drink? And who says it isn't anyway?

Can't you go for something a bit more imaginative than alcohol? It's pretty disheartening when you see a give-away bottle bag or bottle-shaped present. Ask people who know him better about what he's into, have a look on his facebook, or just buy something funny that would suit anyone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rascacielos
What's the relevance of SoCo not being a girls' drink? And who says it isn't anyway?

Dunno I've just heard/read it a few times. Silly people...

Yeah his Facebook hasn't given anything anyway. I mean I could just get some random stuff from hawkins Bazaar.

Anyway hey I'd be plenty happy with a free 70cl bottle of Soco for the Christmas hols and I'm not much of a drinker.

My girlfriend thinks I should get him some chocolate too because he does seem to pig out on bars of galaxy and such in between lectures, how he's still thin I don't know. But obviously I can't get £10 of chocolate..well I COULD with hotel chocolat I suppose.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Sounds good bro, do it.
Reply 6
Penis shaped straws or mini condoms are ALWAYS awesome secret santa presents haha, but alcohol works too..
Reply 7
Alcohol could be a shout, try find out what his poison is though.
I'm not a fussy drinker but I avoid anything sweet/ fruity. Some people are the direct opposite.
In our group we know everyone quite well so can get people specific presents, or ones based on in jokes or just a completely innapropriate object from ann summers.

If you don't know the person that well then alcohol is a good shout. However you don't want to go £5 over the limit, as it makes people look bad, and everyone knows how much a bottle of spirits is.

Does this person like wine? For a tenner you could get a pretty decent bottle
Hawkins Bazaar/some other oddity shop. Get him something that'll keep him entertained :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by metalthrashin'mad

Original post by metalthrashin'mad
In our group we know everyone quite well so can get people specific presents, or ones based on in jokes or just a completely innapropriate object from ann summers.

If you don't know the person that well then alcohol is a good shout. However you don't want to go £5 over the limit, as it makes people look bad, and everyone knows how much a bottle of spirits is.

Does this person like wine? For a tenner you could get a pretty decent bottle

This is true, you should stick to the price limit. Maybe get him a 35cl of alcohol, seeing as though that's under a tenner in most cases, and then get him something generic/fun. I agree with other members who say something innappropriate from Ann Summers(chocolate willies perhaps? :P)
Reply 11
I would say go with a gag gift, Hawkin's Bazaar, that kind of thing. If you get alcohol it could be the wrong thing, but you'll likely find something that will at least make him laugh. Maybe beer glasses, a giant novelty pint glass, a shots game, something along those lines.
You're guarenteed to find something in Hawkins Bazaar. I'm used to buying people specific presents which is what i've done with my flat, but with one of the secret santas i'm in i a drew a girl who i've never met before. Her Facebook didn't give much away, so it'll be some sort of gag gift :tongue:
Original post by F.Bear
Penis shaped straws or mini condoms are ALWAYS awesome secret santa presents haha, but alcohol works too..

Hee hee funny!!
Original post by joey11223
Right the situation is I'm in a secret santa thing and the guy I've been given..I know NOTHING about. Budget is £10 or so, I usually go a bit over.

Pretty much all I know is..he does go out a decent amount, ergo he drinks.

So part of me is thinking to just spend say £15 on something like

70cl bottle of JD (it's £16 down from £22 at Sainsburys, why you'd spend £15.92 on the 50cl I don't know..)

70cl bottle of Southern Comfort (it's not a girls drink it tastes fab..)

Flavoured Absolut vodka is like £13 a bottle at the moment too, maybe play it safe and go with vanilla or original though.

oooh..Finlandia vodka is down from £16 to £13, though I wanted to try that myself..

Basically..would this be a decent idea? If not...what the hell do I get this person?! I have NO IDEA.

If you know for sure he likes to drink then maybe, but why go over the price limit for it. Also be careful what you get cos most people don't like all drinks, my bf is very picky about alcohol, he never drinks vodka or whisky, he only drinks brandy at chistmas, he likes rum but only the expensive stuff, has to be Appleton estate or bacardi 8. He hates lager but likes beer and real ales. Personally I wouldn't go for alcohol cos you can't tell how picky he is and don't want to buy something he hates. I have only done secret Santa once but I bought chocolate and I received an eye-shadow set (obviously someone took advantage of the 3 for 2 at boots). Maybe do that you could get him a Lynx set or some other nice mens set, I think Soap and Glory has just brought out a mens range and get some other peoples pressies too..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest