The Student Room Group

Is reading aloud or in head more effective for revision?

Just wondering what your opinion is on this?
Is it better to read aloud or in your head when revising?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say reading aloud, you're actively saying the words as well as hearing them, so you're more likely to remember them.
I prefer to scream my revision notes. Especially when reading poems.

In all seriousness, I prefer reading in my head
It can help but so can drawing pictures of your revision notes. It's just personal preference really.
If u can memorise the lyrics of a song just listening to it once or twice, go for the reading aloud bit.
Im currerntly looking for app which reads out word documents in Android and my PC.
when I read out loud I find I don't pay any attention to the meaning of the words, it's just a distraction.
Reply 6
I'd say reading aloud but it depends on the person.
Reply 7
I find reading out loud more effective (combined with focused concentration as well). Whenever I read stuff in my head, none of it really registers. I'll read a page, then not really have a clue what I just read (except from when I know the content inside out already and am just reviewing, in which case, reading in my head seems to work better). :smile:
Reply 8
Everyones different. I personally find reading out loud, or discussing with someone else works for me.
I always found reading aloud more useful when revising. Chanting things aloud over and over usually helped makes things stick in my mind.
Reply 10
It really depends. And it's important what you're studying for. I learned to read a little bit earlier and I like reading "in my head". It's faster and when I read out loud it's monotonous (okay that's deffinately wrong but i'm too lazy to check it) when I read in my mind it's different. It's better to cover up more information, but if you have only one-two lessons it's better out loud.
Original post by ummm
I find reading out loud more effective (combined with focused concentration as well). Whenever I read stuff in my head, none of it really registers. I'll read a page, then not really have a clue what I just read (except from when I know the content inside out already and am just reviewing, in which case, reading in my head seems to work better). :smile:

This is similar to how I study. I prefer to read out loud as reciting to myself over and over again help me remember better.

I read the notes my teacher gave me so I am quite lucky. Make sure you are completely focused if not you will only hear your voice but you dunno what you are reading.
read aloudddd:biggrin::biggrin:
I prefer to read in my head rather than alloud because I find that reading alloud in itself can distract me.

I definately think both methods are valid as different methods will probably work for different types of learning style :smile:
What you're talking about is a theory called spreading activation. Saying information out loud is supposed to improve recall.

I recently experimented with speaking the answers to flashcards and checking how many I remembered compared to normal. It actually made me worse, because it took far longer to say the answers than it did just to read them.

Flashcards are already an active form of revision though - it may work better compared to just reading.

Explaining concepts to other people is a great way to revise. Something about having to put information in context and forcing myself to understand it so I could communicate it to others helped me a lot. It also made me aware of things that I only thought I understood.
Original post by rgray
Just wondering what your opinion is on this?
Is it better to read aloud or in your head when revising?

aloud but not too loud
I read aloud, which is why I can never revise in the library. Fairly sure my flatmates think I'm insane though.
Reply 17
Reading Out uses both the central executive loop and visual spatial sketchPad. Lol. I learnt this from A level psychology
Everyone's different but for me reading aloud. If I just read in my head then I won't focus..and then I'll daydream..and then fall asleep...fail.
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
Everyone's different but for me reading aloud. If I just read in my head then I won't focus..and then I'll daydream..and then fall asleep...fail.

This. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending