Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

what is the
falklands doing for people in the UK?
I PERSONALLY, DON'T care who owns it.
Reply 581
Original post by Serano
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16939043

Another desparate political ploy by Argentina?

Original post by ajtiesto
Good move by Argentina, I totally back them 100% in their fight for the Falklands. I hope the UN will take this matter seriously and not just ignore the rights of Argentina.

As do I. It is vital we negotiate with Argentina, it should go something like this:

Britain keeps the islands, Argentina ****s off. Everybody wins.
Reply 582
Original post by Student2806
What an idiot this woman is. She goes on as if the Falklands are Argentina's at the moment and that Britain is getting ready to invade them for natural resources. I hope she gets humiliatingly slapped down at the UN as a complete ****ing idiot.

Thing is the oil find is nowhere near as promising as we originally thought it was. I doubt they will go to war over it.
Good move by Argentina, I totally back them 100% in their fight for the Falklands. I hope the UN will take this matter seriously and not just ignore the rights of Argentina.

Are you an Argie, by any chance?
They have no right to the Falklands.
The UN will not take it seriously. Even if they did, what do you expect? An agreement on sanctions towards the UK? 'Cause I know at least one country that will veto that one :wink:

Its damn shameful that the silly bint is doing this for nothing more than a few extra votes.
'Give peace a chance'... It wasn't the Uk that started the war. How can she sit there and act as if its wrong for Britain to protect the people of the Falklands against Argentina - The historical aggressor?

The Falklands will remain British (for lack of a better world) until the day the islanders get bored of it.
Original post by Aj12
As do I. It is vital we negotiate with Argentina, it should go something like this:

Britain keeps the islands, Argentina ****s off. Everybody wins.

Well at least I'd say Falkland dependency rather than we outright own them. I guess technically we can easily take their sovereignty away but we don't. What exactly is Argentina's plans for their sovereignty over these islands? Will it become a dependency of Argentina or will it become a militarised base to somehow own the bottom of the Atlantic? Also what is Argentina's plans for South Georgia? Or have they never heard of it because of the rampant need to possess sovereignty over the islands?
Original post by Horsedobbin
what is the
falklands doing for people in the UK?
I PERSONALLY, DON'T care who owns it.

Currently they own themselves. We maintain a base there to protect their sovereignty, as we do with Cyprus.
Eh, let her posture, anyone who in the UN who would support her would simply be another enemy of the people given the Falklanders have been quite emphatically clear about which court they want to be sat in.
If they want sovereignty over the Falkland Islands, they can pay for the army themselves.
Original post by lonelykatana
The UN will not take it seriously. Even if they did, what do you expect? An agreement on sanctions towards the UK? 'Cause I know at least one country that will veto that one :wink:

Its damn shameful that the silly bint is doing this for nothing more than a few extra votes.
'Give peace a chance'... It wasn't the Uk that started the war. How can she sit there and act as if its wrong for Britain to protect the people of the Falklands against Argentina - The historical aggressor?

The Falklands will remain British (for lack of a better world) until the day the islanders get bored of it.

Ignore ajtiesto. He's one of these keyboard warriors who claims to hate the UK and sympathise with terrorist masterminds who mean it harm; look at his posts on the Abu Qatada thread to see what I mean. Best ignored.
The population there would probably really resent being called "artificially constructed" seeing as how many of them have been there for 5+ generations
Wouldn't be surprised if Obama took the Argentine side.

He's been screwing us over since day 1.
Original post by Chucklefiend
I'm sorry but I don't argree with you're conclusion. I never claimed that there are laws currently in place that directly and overtly forbid any kind of Argentine settlement on the islands. But merely that the strict rules in place on emigration, with regards to speaking fluent English and having a guarantee of a job, effectively make emigration to the islands, practically speaking, very difficult for an Argentinian. Yes the same rules apply to people of all nationalities, but they aren't all going to face the same level of discrimination from potential employers.

In any case, this is really not relevant. My original point was that the only reason the population of the Falklands are staunchly pro-British is because there are barely any ethnic Argentinians left there. The statistics back this up. Only 6% of Falklands Islanders are of South American descent, and nearly all of those who are, are Chilean not Argentinian. This belittles Britain's self determination argument because the population is an artificially constructed, politically motivated one.

Only about 1.6% of Argentina's population is of truly South American descent, if you want to be pedantic. The assumption that European settlers are in some way 'wrong' is not ammunition that can be used by fellow colonists.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 592
Original post by lonelykatana

No I'm not an "Argie"

The UK think they have the right to go around the world, claiming land that's not there's. It's a joke that countries like the UK and US can get away with it without any intervention from the UN. Yet other countries get done for nothing.

Original post by hughcapet
Ignore ajtiesto. He's one of these keyboard warriors who claims to hate the UK and sympathise with terrorist masterminds who mean it harm; look at his posts on the Abu Qatada thread to see what I mean. Best ignored.

Yeah I hate the UK, that's my opinion..what are you going to do about it? Oh I forgot "extremists" aren't allowed to have opinions or counter against an argument. Pathetic!

What about the rights of the Falklanders? The vast majority do not want to be ruled by Argentina, and at the end of the day they are the ones who should have the final say in what happens to their home.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
The population there would probably really resent being called "artificially constructed" seeing as how many of them have been there for 5+ generations

If you refer to my previous post and link you'll find that in fact 40% of the population of the Falklands has emigrated there in the last 30 years. Five generations would consist of approximately 150 years. 150 years ago the population was approximately 1100, today it is 3140. So in fact a maximum of about one third of the current residents 'have been there for 5+ generations', and that's assuming that none of the original settlers have left and been replaced by later immigrants.
Reply 595
Argentina renamed their top flight football league 'Belgrano', and have the gall to accuse Britain of 'militarisation'. Argentina really are the most ****ing pathetic, hypocritical, whiniest country on Earth.
If you refer to my previous post and link you'll find that in fact 40% of the population of the Falklands has emigrated there in the last 30 years. Five generations would consist of approximately 150 years. 150 years ago the population was approximately 1100, today it is 3140. So in fact a maximum of about one third of the current residents 'have been there for 5+ generations', and that's assuming that none of the original settlers have left and been replaced by later immigrants.

Think about what you've just said for a moment.

Seriously think about it.

Surely noone is that dumb.
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Think about what you've just said for a moment.

Seriously think about it.

Surely noone is that dumb.

Before you try playing that card, please consider that the average birth rate on the Falklands is 1.1.
Before you try playing that card, please consider that the average birth rate on the Falklands is 1.1.

And has been since 1860 I'm sure :rolleyes:

Even if it wasn't, that wouldnt support your arguement as provided ONE of your great-great-great grandparents was an islander you are a 5th generation islander, even if all the others were immigrants.

Nice attempt though
Original post by Tnetinbum
Argentina renamed their top flight football league 'Belgrano', and have the gall to accuse Britain of 'militarisation'. Argentina really are the most ****ing pathetic, hypocritical, whiniest country on Earth.

lolwut?

We should rename ours "Victory" :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending