The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Kalis
How fast do you go for it to scrape? or is it whenever?

I dont bother slowing down for speed humps, 30mph fine! :biggrin: Only problem is I dread the day my suspension breaks down - it is from 1989 anyway! - Isuzu Trooper LHD (from Texas!)

I tend not to either. The things that really annoy me are those stupid chicanes down really thin roads. No slows down properly, the just drive straight down the middle so the other car has to stop and wait. Then you get stupid cars that park right up next to them where they are clearly not supposed to - so, when its dark you cant see them coming because the car is blocking the reflector things! :mad:
Reply 21
Cortez
I tend not to either. The things that really annoy me are those stupid chicanes down really thin roads. No slows down properly, the just drive straight down the middle so the other car has to stop and wait. Then you get stupid cars that park right up next to them where they are clearly not supposed to - so, when its dark you cant see them coming because the car is blocking the reflector things! :mad:

Surely on the chicane thing one side has right of way? Sometimes where I live people ignore that, but as I put an airhorn and bullbar on my truck, I just plow on! Make them stop and reverse. Stupid morons.

and your right stupid parking is annoying! I pretty sure there is a limit to how close you can part then its illegal.
Reply 22
Kalis
Surely on the chicane thing one side has right of way? Sometimes where I live people ignore that, but as I put an airhorn and bullbar on my truck, I just plow on! Make them stop and reverse. Stupid morons.

and your right stupid parking is annoying! I pretty sure there is a limit to how close you can part then its illegal.

Nah no one has right of way (or both drivers do). Theres just a wiggly line going down the centre and your supposed to drive at like 5mph and stay with in the lines, its never gonna happen :rolleyes:

There are painted lines where you arent supposed to park but people still do.
Reply 23
G4ry
Dare i say what were you doing buy a car from someone like that? The owner most probably ragged it from cold and drove like an idiot - i'd still well clear of a car like that. Anyway, as people have said the suspension's probably too low, knowing the guy he probably didn't even put lower springs on and tried to lower it himself.

Yep, seen people lower cars by chopping out one of the coils in the standard springs. As a general rule, diy adjustments done by a chav with an angle grinder don't tend to be that precise (different ride height at each wheel)

Another personal favourite is the 12V caravan hairdryer in the intake. Worth 10psi boost when that badboy spools up :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Also thought I should mention my car scrapes on some speed bumps and it isn't lowered.
Reply 25

Most people with lowering suspension do it to improve the handling of the car.

But most of the time, it dosen't. Its boy racer bull****
Reply 26
Lowering is always going to reduce the cars centre of gravity, thus in turn improving handling and road feel and the ability to corner as body roll is less. It is physics not bull crap.

Lowering too much however makes the ride too harsh.
Reply 27
Lowering is always going to reduce the cars centre of gravity, thus in turn improving handling and road feel and the ability to corner as body roll is less. It is physics not bull crap.

Yes, because when a Max Power reading tunt says "yeh m8, gunna get a 30mm drop, will look phat with me new chrome 19inces" he really means "Through a large amount of my research, various testing and my extensive knowlegde of car physics including that of my own I have come to the conlusion that lowering the ride height of my vehicle by 30mm and replacing the stock wheels with new extremely good quality and properly balanced Fox alloys will lower the cars center of gravity and therefore turn the handling of my hatchback into the handling of a saloon car.."
LOL increasing wheel size is always a dumb idea. Not only does it make slow cars even slower, it makes the ride even more bumpy when going through potholes.

Lower and stiffer suspension does make the car more comfortable to drive though, you cannot argue with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending