The Student Room Group

If you have never broken a bone does it mean that you have never been daring?

This might sound a daft question but do you tend to assume a little that if someone has never broken a bone in their life that they have lived in quite a sheltered way?

Ive never broken a bone. Not sure why as I was a tomboy as a child forever climbing up trees, roofs of houses, riding up ramps on a bicycle with the lads and did a few daft things like balancing along the railings of bridges. I remember a few kids sustaining fractures from doing the stuff I did this is why I wouldn’t say I lived in a sheltered way.

The main reason I ask isthat a sport coach recently calling me for not being daring enough in my sport. I know him well we go for a drink now and again but he said ‘you do need more guts to do this sport, I bet you’ve never broken a bone have you’. Then I realised I hadn’t. Is it because I’m not daring enough? But then I did do a lot of climbing etc as a kid
(edited 1 year ago)
I've never broken a bone either.
Maybe it just means you're well coordinated!

Some people have brittle bones, and they break them just by bumping into things of slipping off the sofa.

Other people seem to be more sturdy, or just fall less often.

Either way, why does it matter? I'm rather glad I've never broken a bone personally, it must hurt! I certainly don't see it as a negative thing.
Original post by Awaitingquavers
This might sound a daft question but do you tend to assume a little that if someone has never broken a bone in their life that they have lived in quite a sheltered way?

Ive never broken a bone. Not sure why as I was a tomboy as a child forever climbing up trees, roofs of houses, riding up ramps on a bicycle with the lads and did a few daft things like balancing along the railings of bridges. I remember a few kids sustaining fractures from doing the stuff I did this is why I wouldn’t say I lived in a sheltered way.

The main reason I ask isthat a sport coach recently calling me for not being daring enough in my sport. I know him well we go for a drink now and again but he said ‘you do need more guts to do this sport, I bet you’ve never broken a bone have you’. Then I realised I hadn’t. Is it because I’m not daring enough? But then I did do a lot of climbing etc as a kid

that's kind of a **** move from him. What sport do u play?
I was also a really active kid, but the only time I ever broke a bone was while on my friend's trampoline and falling onto concrete. Nothing to do with climbing or sport...
Sprains and strains are much more common than actual breaks in young adults, and not rly something you want to go looking for
The people I know who've broken a lot of bones are all skiers, but I wouldn't say they're not actually the most athletic
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Awaitingquavers

breaking bones is a sign of carelessness and bad luck. my brother broke his foot playing football with my other brother 5tears younger than him at home. i’ve broken none. he wasn’t daring, just stupid and unlucky enough to suffer the consequences. not to mention that breaking bones leaves yo more susceptible to further or recurring injuries down the line which isnt ideal for someone in sports when many people have had to stop sports due to these broken bones and other injuries so that’s a weird point for your coach to make. i think i’ve taken a lot of risks in life but these don’t correlate to being dangerous so there’s no need for bones to be broken when you can be spontaneous and careful. why should risking your future through injury equate to being daring? you definitely aren’t sheltered for simply having not broken a bone before and that is a really weird idea from your coach.
(edited 1 year ago)
your coach is using a metaphor. do you know what a metaphor is? let me know if metaphor is unclear
So, I recently got into a car crash whilst on the motorway. I ride a motorbike and the other driver pulled over and immediately did a U-turn. I didn't have enough time to slow down and I was going at speed so I tried to get round the front. Unfortunately, the other driver sped up so I swan necked into the front of the car and bounced over to the other side. I crush my leg between both vehicles and totalled both vehicles in the process. I had some cuts on my leg and ended up with a hematoma plus 2 dislocated fingers. Police made me go to the hospital and I popped my fingers back into place in front the nurse and it really tickled me. I've recently noticed, I've been in so many stupid accidents and I've never broken a bone. Fighting, car accident's, falling from heights and so much more. It's really confusing me that I literally don't break. I cut but most of my scar's fade away in a few weeks. I've dropped boiling water over myself so many times and I have no burn scar's. I'm really confused by it all lately and I really need help trying to figure it out. Even when I drink alcohol, it takes a lot to get a buzz. Not drunk, a buzz. If I don't keep drinking it goes pretty quickly. Am I
Original post by makesyoulaugh
So, I recently got into a car crash whilst on the motorway. I ride a motorbike and the other driver pulled over and immediately did a U-turn. I didn't have enough time to slow down and I was going at speed so I tried to get round the front. Unfortunately, the other driver sped up so I swan necked into the front of the car and bounced over to the other side. I crush my leg between both vehicles and totalled both vehicles in the process. I had some cuts on my leg and ended up with a hematoma plus 2 dislocated fingers. Police made me go to the hospital and I popped my fingers back into place in front the nurse and it really tickled me. I've recently noticed, I've been in so many stupid accidents and I've never broken a bone. Fighting, car accident's, falling from heights and so much more. It's really confusing me that I literally don't break. I cut but most of my scar's fade away in a few weeks. I've dropped boiling water over myself so many times and I have no burn scar's. I'm really confused by it all lately and I really need help trying to figure it out. Even when I drink alcohol, it takes a lot to get a buzz. Not drunk, a buzz. If I don't keep drinking it goes pretty quickly. Am I

You are Terminator 4

You also belong in this forum

https://www.reddit.com/r/Neverbrokeabone/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by makesyoulaugh

all right wolverine
It's been going around in my head for several weeks. So I got told by the doctors after a whole bunch of x-rays that that I won't be able too walk on the leg for 6-8 weeks after the injury. Severe muscle damage to the calf. They kept doing x-ray's because they kept thinking they were getting the wrong x-ray's back. I was back on my feet 3 days later. Then it turned into a fist sized hematoma, they said 6-8 week's with treatment for it to break down. That was last week and I might be able to get back to work in a few days. Also, the only reason I've been off work is because it do security and I'm standing for most of a 14½ hour shift. I'm still more annoyed that I completely totalled my bike. But I will be getting some pretty good compensation because the other driver took full responsibility. But why didn't it break, why is everything healing and breaking down so quickly? With the amount of damage done to both vehicles. Both vehicles were totalled and I was in the middle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending