The Student Room Group

Stats help please!!!!!!

Hi all,

Got a question on probability for you, would really appreciate someone explaining it to me, here goes:

Two children, Ann and Brian, throw a die alternately and the first to throw a '6' is the winner. Given that Ann throws first, calculate the probability that Brian wins

(A) on his nth throw

Use (A) to calculate the probability that Brian wins the game

I have the answer to (A), it is 1/6(5/6)^ 2n-1 and understand how I have come to the answer, I am also able to get an answer like this for Ann.

I just can't seem to work out how to calculate the probability that Brian wins using my answer to (A)

Thanks in advance
Original post by MikeySwansea
Hi all,

Got a question on probability for you, would really appreciate someone explaining it to me, here goes:

Two children, Ann and Brian, throw a die alternately and the first to throw a '6' is the winner. Given that Ann throws first, calculate the probability that Brian wins

(A) on his nth throw

I have the answer to (A), it is 1/6(5/6)^ 2n-1 and understand how I have come to the answer, I am also able to get an answer like this for Ann.

I just can't seem to work out how to calculate the probability that Brian wins using my answer to (A)

Thanks in advance

Consider all the possibily ways that Brian could win, and add up their probabilities.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, I'm afraid I just can't see it.

Can you explain it to me more please, sorry to be a pain
Thanks for the reply, I'm afraid I just can't see it.

Can you explain it to me more please, sorry to be a pain

P(Brian wins) = P(Brian wins on first go) + P(Brian wins on second go) + ....

Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Ghostwalker, I understand that part of it, but I'm struggling to see where it ends, I mean for e.g it could take a thousand turns.
Hi all,

(A) on his nth throw

Thanks in advance

What is the chance that A will roll a 6 on the first go?

1/6

Second go? (fail first, then B fails)

5/6 * 5/6 * 1/6

Third go? (fail first, then B fails, then fail again, then B fails)

5/6 * 5/6 * 5/6 * 5/6 * 1/6

Can you see a pattern developing?

btw if you start at n=1 then I think the exponent should be 2n-2 not 2n-1
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi Ghostwalker, I understand that part of it, but I'm struggling to see where it ends, I mean for e.g it could take a thousand turns.

There is no end; it's an infinite series, whose terms follow a geometric progression.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Cant see any pattern, the answer is 5/11 and I don't have a clue how to get there
Reply 8
you already have the terms for Brian winning

16(56)2n1\frac{1}{6}(\frac{5}{6})^{2n-1}

The general term in a GP is

arn1ar^{n-1}

And you presumably know the sum to infinity of a GP

All that you need to do is compare your term with the general term
Reply 9
Hi all,

I really don't know how to do this question, I haven't been taught about the Geometric Progression yet in class. Having looked at a few websites I'm still confused on how to apply the formula to this question in order to get the probability of him winning.

Please would someone be able to spell it out for me, I'd be extremely grateful.
Hi all,

I really don't know how to do this question, I haven't been taught about the Geometric Progression yet in class. Having looked at a few websites I'm still confused on how to apply the formula to this question in order to get the probability of him winning.

Please would someone be able to spell it out for me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Here's the detail, but since you've not covered GPs you can't really be expected to do the question.

Spoiler

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest