The Student Room Group

Post Your Economics Question Here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
alex_hk90
The way (b) is worded implies that in one question they want you to give an answer for a sequential choice - A choosing before B or vice-versa, which generally would make a difference.

I can do (b)...I think. But (a) is really confusing. I'm not sure they want a sequential answer tbh. And if they do then they would want it both ways round? I really don't get what they're asking for.

Oh well...
Apagg
1. Draw graphs showing that
- in a perfectly competitive market the union will reduce employment
- where the employer is a monopsonist the union will increase employment

2. See 1. But write more.

3. Not a topic I've ever been involved in. I'd be tempted to challenge the assumption that an unequal distribution of income is automatically inequitable, but I'm not sure how you're meant to approach this at A level

4. Reduced wages because of increased supply, primarily in those labour markets where they're substitutes for native labour. However, they might also constitute a supply side boost, increasing economic output and employment, mitigating the downward effect on the wage level.

For question one why will a union reduce unemployment in a pefectly compeitive market and inrease employment in a monopoly?
Reply 1782
TickTackToe
For question one why will a union reduce unemployment in a pefectly compeitive market and inrease employment in a monopoly?

It won't reduce unemployment, it will reduce employment (I assume this is just a typo on your part but it's important to be clear).
Assume the market is at equilibrium before the union enters. Now, when the union enters, it will do one of three things
- set a wage level below the market equilibrium
- set a wage level at the market equilibrium
- set a wage level above the market equilibrium

The first two have no effect, it is the third case we are interested in.
In perfect competition, employment occurs to the point that the wage = MC = MPL. The union, by increasing the wage, increases the MC beyond MPL, and employers reduce employment until MC = MPL again.

Where the employer is a monopsonist, wage = MC = MPL is not necessarily the case - they are likely to be employing too few workers. Increasing the wage still pushes up MC but not necessarily higher than the MPL, in which case employment will be higher than before.

It's easiest to see this graphically. See http://www.s-cool.co.uk/alevel/economics/labour-markets/trade-unions.html
danny111
in the short run they may achieve profits or losses depending on whether there are too few or too many firms in the industry. in the long run firms will enter (if now there are profits) or leave (if now there are losses).

so in an exam ud have to draw the diagram and show by having profits (losses) they are not producing at the productively efficient level (whatever your exam board defined this to be).

ok thank you, Also do you know why minimum wages in a market containing a monopsony would increase wages and employment. I know the graph(that it will kink etc) but i dont actually understand the theory behind it LIke for example it makes sense that is minimum wage is introduced it will increase costs and therefore unemployment is a result....
Reply 1784
1) Assess the reasons why countries in Asia have been more successful in attracting foreign direct investment than many African countries.

2) Evaluate the economic effects of an increase in foreign direct investment on a country of your choice.

a country of my choice? any examples of what to use
sof geo
1) Assess the reasons why countries in Asia have been more successful in attracting foreign direct investment than many African countries.

2) Evaluate the economic effects of an increase in foreign direct investment on a country of your choice.

a country of my choice? any examples of what to use

For 1, possible considerations include the degree to which capital markets have been established in both regions, openness to trade, level of stability (although make sure you consider the numerous financial crises that have occurred in Asia), resource costs, speed of development etc.

For 2, you could consider the old East Germany (known as the German Democratic Republic) after reunification. It's a very special case, but it's also a very interesting one which may seem paradoxical at first pass.
Reply 1786
Do you think you could help me to answer the following questions:

1. Below is the cost function for a business producing overhead projectors:

Quantity of OHPs Total Cost (£) Marginal Cost (£)
0 60 -
1 260 ?
2 480 ?
3 720 ?
4 980 ?
5 1260 ?

a) Fill in the missing marginal cost values. (1)
b) Assume the business is operating under conditions of perfect competition. If the market price is £280 per OHP, how many OHPs does the firm produce? What is the total profit of the business? (2)
c) In the long term will the price remain at £280? Explain your reasoning, and if the price changes explain the process that causes that price to change. (3)
d) If there are no changes to costs or industry demand what will be the price and firm output in the long run equilibrium. (2)
e) Why is it that profit in perfect competition will always tend towards zero in the long run and why is this not the case with monopoly?
can someone give me some reasons why natioanlised industries are less likely to invest and innovate(be dynamically effcient) compared to privatised industries.
Also can some one tell me the costs of policies such as Regualtion and pollution permits. Like what are the arguments against using them to solve pollution problems
babiguji

a) Fill in the missing marginal cost values. (1)
b) Assume the business is operating under conditions of perfect competition. If the market price is £280 per OHP, how many OHPs does the firm produce? What is the total profit of the business? (2)
c) In the long term will the price remain at £280? Explain your reasoning, and if the price changes explain the process that causes that price to change. (3)
d) If there are no changes to costs or industry demand what will be the price and firm output in the long run equilibrium. (2)
e) Why is it that profit in perfect competition will always tend towards zero in the long run and why is this not the case with monopoly?

a) MC is the incremental cost for producing an extra unit of output.
b) In perfect competition Price = MC
c) The answer is implied by d). Consider costs and changing demand with respect to the condition stated in b)
d) I'll leave this up to you
e) Consider the elasticity of demand for the individual firm in both cases.
Reply 1789
Can anyone explain (in a simple way if possible), the equation mv = pq?

If anyone does have a response can you please quote me. Thanks
Reply 1790
I'm doing unit 1 Economics on wednesday.
I was wondering why the impact of a shift in demand on price and output depends on the price elasticity of supply?

I also need tips on how to answer Evaluation questions?
KDSOC
I'm doing unit 1 Economics on wednesday.
I was wondering why the impact of a shift in demand on price and output depends on the price elasticity of supply?

I also need tips on how to answer Evaluation questions?

RE: Supple + Demand, the easiest way to show this is if you draw the diagram. Draw two diagrams, one with a infinitely price elastic supply curve (i.e, the line is horizontal) and one with a perfectly price inelastic supply curve (i.e, the line is vertical). Keep the demand curves in both cases the same gradient, and make sure both are on the same scale, so you can compare results.

Now, plot an equal shift of demand in both those diagrams and observe how the price and output changes in both. Since the only variable here was the price elasticity of supply, the differences in price and output must be due to that variable.

(Long winded, but hopefully you'll understand it more fully now =])
Reply 1792
Leontieff model, I odnt really under stand it. for example for the industry A i got the equation x1=2x1 +5x2 +8x3 whereas in the answer the numbers have been divided by 10 for some reason.

Consider an economy divided into an agricultural
sector (A), an industrial sector (I), and a service sector (S). To produce
20 units in sector A requires 2 units from sector A and 5 units from
sector I. To produce 10 units in sector I requires 5 units from sector
A, 5 units from sector I, and 8 units from sector S. To produce 10
units in sector S requires 8 units from sector A and 2 units from sector
S. The final demands are 20 units in sectors A and S, and 0 in sector
I. Production is linear.
(a) Write down the system of equations describing the economy.
(b) Solve the system.

Appreciate any help.
Reply 1793
Hi can someone help me with this question

Comment on the extent to which the multiplier and accelerator are causes of the economic cycle. I need reasons for why they arent

Thanks
Does anyone know why if a firm faces a downward sloping AR curve it'll be inefficient under monopolistic competition?
Reply 1795
Why is reduced trade union power beneficial as a supply side policy?

Im i correct in saying that these reduced trade union power represent falling pressure on firms to increase wage rates which would add to their costs?
trade unions are market distortions.
yunghamz
Why is reduced trade union power beneficial as a supply side policy?

Im i correct in saying that these reduced trade union power represent falling pressure on firms to increase wage rates which would add to their costs?

Stronger restrictions on trade unions make it easier for suppliers to be willing and able to supply goods onto the market.

It means less costs, and less restrictions when producing a good/service. Strike time delays production, which can increase costs.
Reply 1798
rajandkwameali
Stronger restrictions on trade unions make it easier for suppliers to be willing and able to supply goods onto the market.

It means less costs, and less restrictions when producing a good/service. Strike time delays production, which can increase costs.

Thanks!
Could someone help with two things:

1) what is appropiation of surplus?
and
2) what is the best way of structuring a 15 and 25 mark question in the data response?

Quick Reply

Latest