The Student Room Group

Got 99 problems but a bench aint one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Bad session today, 80 / 10 / 10.

Bench 60,70,80,90 x 5.
102.5 x 3,4. On first try I set up really badly so decided to rack it after 3 reps. 4th rep on second set was pretty slow so I left it there.

Deadlift 160kg x 1. Was going for 5, meh. 157.5x5 wasn't even that hard. I think my form is getting quite a bit worse than it used to be.

Chins
Reply 141
Good today, bit short on time and had rugby so only 1 set of squats:

Squats 120kg x 5

Strict press 67.5kg x 5,5,5. Might belt up from now on.

Pendlay Rows 72.5kg x 8,8,8.

Face pulls.
Reply 142
Great session, came in well rested and caffeine'd to the gills as I didn't want to miss my targets again like Monday:

Bench 60,70,80,90,102.5x5 PB. Not even too hard which was encouraging.
80x8 (paused, missed my back off set on monday). Harder than I expected, may have only been good for 10 or so.

Deadlift 160 x 5 PB. Very hard and messy, going to need a reset soon but I'll max out before I do.

Chins

Face pulls.
i say
Reply 144
Original post by alex_tait
i say

Steady on old chap.

Anyway I was feeling a bit ill today but got a decent session in regardless:

Bench 60,70,80,92.5kg x 5.
105kgx3
80kgx x 8 (paused)

Squats 120kg x 5,5,5. Hard.

Rows 70kg x 8,8,8.

Face pulls.
Reply 145
Mixed today, have been a bit ill recently:

Press: 70kg x 5. Did these belted, not too bad.

Deadlift: 160kg x 1, 180kg x F,F,F. No idea how I can pull 160x5 but miss 180, shouldn't have been too bad at all, meh. My mate's best set of 5 was 155 and he pulled 190... another day maybe, but back to sets of 5 for now.

Chins

DB rows 25kg x 10,10,10.
With deadlifts, unless you do them literally one after the other, it's hard to determine your 1RM based on a set of five. My 5RM is 200 yet my 1RM is only 210.
Reply 147
I do my work sets dead stop and they don't usually take more than 30 seconds.

Your ratio is much more weird though, do you use touch and go?
Original post by Mdawg
Mixed today, have been a bit ill recently:

Press: 70kg x 5. Did these belted, not too bad.

Deadlift: 160kg x 1, 180kg x F,F,F. No idea how I can pull 160x5 but miss 180, shouldn't have been too bad at all, meh. My mate's best set of 5 was 155 and he pulled 190... another day maybe, but back to sets of 5 for now.

Chins

DB rows 25kg x 10,10,10.

Strong upper body lifts with that press man...

Unlucky about the deadlift. What is your all time 1RM?
That's like 7.5kg higher 5RM than me yet i hit 182.5 yesterday...
Were you trying them barefoot? I find that helps me a lot...
Original post by Mdawg
Your ratio is much more weird though, do you use touch and go?

No. Dead stop each time. Which essentially turns it into five close-together singles rather than a set of five which makes the ratio seem odd in comparison to other lifts.
Reply 150
Original post by Motorbiker
Strong upper body lifts with that press man...

Unlucky about the deadlift. What is your all time 1RM?
That's like 7.5kg higher 5RM than me yet i hit 182.5 yesterday...
Were you trying them barefoot? I find that helps me a lot...

I actually pressed 3x5 70kg about 2 months ago but I've put it on maintenance as I'm only doing it once a week now and satisfied with strength on it. Trying to get up to dat der 110x5 bench in the meantime.

Yes I deadlift barefoot, the highest 1RM I've previously pulled is 170. I'm tempted to just put it down to having a bad day and try again at some point in the future. My maxes aren't bad in relation to 5RM for squat or bench.

Original post by Smack
No. Dead stop each time. Which essentially turns it into five close-together singles rather than a set of five which makes the ratio seem odd in comparison to other lifts.

Your 5RM is literally 95% of your 1RM. A friend I was lifting with has pulled 170x5 as his best, but did a single of 200.

Basically I shouldn't be whining and just need to try harder next time.
Reply 151
Good session today, power of caffeine flowing through me etc:

Bench: 60,70,80,92.5,105kg x 5 PB. Hard but just about got there. Progress from now is going to be about how well I keep good form I think.

Squats: 122.5kg x 5,5,5. Equal to my best, but with better form this time. Should be good for some nice linear progression here.

Pendlay Rows 75kg x 8,8,8.

Face pulls.
Reply 152
Bit meh today, had to get up early and might have been a bit tired.

Bench 60,70,82.5,95kgx5.
107.5kgx3
82.5kg x 8 (last 3 paused). I'm having some technical issues on bench, trying to push the bar back as well as up to get through my sticking point but really losing tightness, and forgetting to use leg drive a lot of the time. Much easier to do singles than reps.

Deadlift 162.5kg x 2. Technique poor so didn't go for any more, not willing to round back consistently. May reset this soon.
140kgx5 double overhand. Good to see I've still got strength on that.

Chins

DB rows 27.5kg x 10,10,10. <---- I hate cardio.

Face pulls.
Reply 153
Happy with today, got a squat PR and it wasn't that hard:

Squat 125kg x 5,5,5.

Press 70kg x 4.

Rows 75kg x 8,5,5. Flexibility problems...

I'm still squatting unbelted, need to do some core work at some point. There's not really any decent equipment to do it with at the college gym so may plank.
Reply 154
Good session today, absolute PB on deadlift and sort of a PB on bench.

Bench: 60,70,82.5,95kgx5
107.5kgx4. 4th rep was very hard so didn't go for a 5th, really need to focus on technique and remembering leg drive in particular.

Deadlift 162.5kg x 5. Hard but no disgusting reps. Back slightly rounded on last 2 apparently.

Chins

DB rows 30kg x 10,10,10.

Face pulls.
Reply 155
Decent-ish again today:

Bench 60,70,82.5,95kgx5
107.5kgx4F. Not too disappointed as it was easier than last time, just form went on the last rep. Should be good for this next session.
80x8.

Squats 127.5kg x 5,5,5. Hard because it was so hot but very doable.

Pendlay Rows 75kg x 5,5,5.

Face pulls.
Reply 156
Quite good session, matched some PRs:

Press 70kg x 5. Very easy so..
80x1 - longest press rep of my life, took like 8 seconds.

Deadlift 165kg x 4. Hard, should get 5 next week though then maxing the week after and reset after that for the last time on DL.
literally tried harder
Reply 158
Original post by Mdawg
I actually pressed 3x5 70kg about 2 months ago but I've put it on maintenance as I'm only doing it once a week now and satisfied with strength on it. Trying to get up to dat der 110x5 bench in the meantime.

Yes I deadlift barefoot, the highest 1RM I've previously pulled is 170. I'm tempted to just put it down to having a bad day and try again at some point in the future. My maxes aren't bad in relation to 5RM for squat or bench.

Your 5RM is literally 95% of your 1RM. A friend I was lifting with has pulled 170x5 as his best, but did a single of 200.

Basically I shouldn't be whining and just need to try harder next time.

just read this, you can make good progress on ohp doing it once per week..... i'm doing that routine commandment linked and it's giving me decent gains.

also with deadlift my best is 160x4 and my 1rm is 175(thought it was 180 but was using 20kg bar not 25:wink:
Reply 159
Original post by alex_tait
literally tried harder

Might have been longer than your rep bro.

Original post by Gallium
just read this, you can make good progress on ohp doing it once per week..... i'm doing that routine commandment linked and it's giving me decent gains.

also with deadlift my best is 160x4 and my 1rm is 175(thought it was 180 but was using 20kg bar not 25:wink:

I don't really agree with you about the press. Many people on here have a less advanced press than me, train it reasonably often and make almost no gains. My experience with press is that you need to devote a fair amount of time to it to make gains after a certain point; this seems to be the consensus view too. I'm happy to maintain but probably going to try 72.5 next week, much more concerned with my bench currently though.

You can't have been on your program for more than a few weeks anyway which is too early to make judgements about its efficacy.

Quick Reply

Latest