The Student Room Group

D&D Theology's "Ask About Islam" Thread Mk. IV

Please find the previous thread here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1240627

This thread is for questions about Islam ONLY, any chat, or personal discussions will be WARNED. Please take any discussions amongst Muslims to the Islamic Society thread, or if it is of a substantial nature, create a discussion thread in the Theology & Religion subforum.

QUESTIONS ONLY

Spam will be dealt with severely

Post in the English language ONLY, or when using another language, POST A TRANSLATION. Any posts not abiding by this (this INCLUDES Islamic greetings) will be WARNED.

Use etiquette, be polite, and civil.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:colone:
Reply 2
Whatdya mean?
" I have accepted this fact that women are not really second class in Islam. moreover they are very respected in Islam and Quran but some people truss to such rules as i mentioned in my post. I will read those links and I hope they would be useful.

this sentence was a little hard for me to translate into English! ...
I meant that most of the people who want to destroy Islam invoke to some issues such as heritage or testimony (which I mentioned in my first post) or ... and say "why Quran says a woman should heir half of what a man heir? it shows that Islam pays low attention to women." Although I don't have any objection to this rule but I wonder what is the real reason for it? I have heard a lot of justifications for it like " men are responsible to pay for family but women don't have such duties" but it is a ridiculous justification! maybe a widow or divorced woman is the protector of the family. these are not persuasive answers.

why women like slaves can not testify in courts or other juridical issues?
I have accepted these rules by heart because I'm sure there definitely is a wisdom behind it. I wonder what that reason is? because it is a common objection to Islam in my country and if I know the fact I can defend these rules strongly.

Is this enough? If Allah has allowed it then how can we say that neither should do it? Unfortunately you also seem to be suggesting that the prophet made a mistake when stating that a man can have four wives.

it seems you are one of those who ascribe these questions to being impious because they don't know the answer! I have said hundred times that I believe in Islam and its rules by heart and I'm a passionate Muslim but I want to know the reality of these rules in order to respond to people who want to oppose Islam.
Why a man can have more than one wife even if he is able to to do justice to them? why he shouldn't be satisfied with one wife?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
If Muhammd is a prophet of peace, why did he say he is a prophet of war?

This is mentioned in Sahifah ibn Munabbih (earliest authentic hadith book)
Reply 4
Original post by leiloon
this sentence was a little hard for me to translate into English! ...
I meant that most of the people who want to destroy Islam invoke to some issues such as heritage or testimony (which I mentioned in my first post) or ... and say "why Quran says a woman should heir half of what a man heir? it shows that Islam pays low attention to women." Although I don't have any objection to this rule but I wonder what is the real reason for it? I have heard a lot of justifications for it like " men are responsible to pay for family but women don't have such duties" but it is a ridiculous justification! maybe a widow or divorced woman is the protector of the family. these are not persuasive answers.

why women like slaves can not testify in courts or other juridical issues?
I have accepted these rules by heart because I'm sure there definitely is a wisdom behind it. I wonder what that reason is? because it is a common objection to Islam in my country and if I know the fact I can defend these rules strongly.

it seems you are one of those who ascribe these questions to being impious because they don't know the answer! I have said hundred times that I believe in Islam and its rules by heart and I'm a passionate Muslim but I want to know the reality of these rules in order to respond to people who want to oppose Islam.
Why a man can have more than one wife even if he is able to to do justice to them? why he shouldn't be satisfied with one wife?

Original post by ideas4life

This thread isn't for debate. Take this discussion in a new thread, please
Reply 5
Original post by S-man10

Original post by S-man10

but your thread's name is "ask about Islam" I asked some questions about Islam and we are discussing about my questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by S-man10

Your intepretation of what a question and what a debate is VERY worrying, i personally think you should not mderate this section if you think a question about islam should not be asked if it might lead to a debate
(edited 12 years ago)

I'm not Muslim, but this is my answer....

It's because people were surprised that a supposed prophet of God would would carry a sword. They expected a prophet of God to be a pacifist (ie appreciating all life). The previous prophets (the Jewish ones) were not necessarily pacifist, but Muhammad did use more violence than them. This is because of the situation that Muhammad was forced into, with people attacking his faith and people. He had to fight in self defence, and use war as a means of establishing his new religion.
Reply 8
Original post by SaintSoldier
I'm not Muslim, but this is my answer....

It's because people were surprised that a supposed prophet of God would would carry a sword. They expected a prophet of God to be a pacifist (ie appreciating all life). The previous prophets (the Jewish ones) were not necessarily pacifist, but Muhammad did use more violence than them. This is because of the situation that Muhammad was forced into, with people attacking his faith and people. He had to fight in self defence, and use war as a means of establishing his new religion.

You make it seem like Muhammad was constantly attacked, when he was the one doing the attacking most of the time according to Muslim scholar below who lists all battles

http://military.hawarey.org/military_english.htm
You make it seem like Muhammad was constantly attacked, when he was the one doing the attacking most of the time according to Muslim scholar below who lists all battles

http://military.hawarey.org/military_english.htm

By "establishing" I meant that he made pre emptive attacks, to gain territory to form a new Islamic state. Obviously you can't have an independent country without any land. I don't approve of that, but that's what he did.

And his style of war was to dive into attack, rather than be defensive and be caught on the back foot.

I personally don't approve of Muhammad's wars, as he only fought for his own community (ie the Muslims) and not for others. And I don't approve of the taking of POWs as slaves. But I think you have to be fair to him and look at thinks from all angles. Just because I'm not Muslim doesn't mean I'm like "oh he was such an evil and deceitful man, he is the antichrist" or something stupid like that. I think he definitely did some horrific things in his life, but he also did some good things, so you have to view him as a whole package, no just pick little bits and moan about them.

I'm sure in2deep will come along now with a quote or two (or a million :tongue:) from the Hadiths....
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SaintSoldier
By "establishing" I meant that he made pre emptive attacks, to gain territory to form a new Islamic state. Obviously you can't have an independent country without any land. I don't approve of that, but that's what he did.

And his style of war was to dive into attack, rather than be defensive and be caught on the back foot.

I personally don't approve of Muhammad's wars, as he only fought for his own community (ie the Muslims) and not for others. And I don't approve of the taking of POWs as slaves. But I think you have to be fair to him and look at thinks from all angles. Just because I'm not Muslim doesn't mean I'm like "oh he was such an evil and deceitful man, he is the antichrist" or something stupid like that. I think he definitely did some horrific things in his life, but he also did some good things, so you have to view him as a whole package, no just pick little bits and moan about them.

I'm sure in2deep will come along now with a quote or two (or a million :tongue:) from the Hadiths....

Yes he did do horrific things.

Hitler cant be considered a good guy who should have followers and supporters just because he might have saved a puppy once in his life....especially if he did horrific things like the holocaust at same time, which is genocide.

Muhammad also commited genocide i.e banu Qurayza (600-900 massacred), demolition of dhul khalasa (300 massacred), Massacre of the Citizens of Jurash by Surad ibn Abdullah on orders of MUhammad (most of tribe massacred).

All of which were offensive. Not a single person can claim that the latter 2 were pre-emeptive if they know the facts
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11

Hitler cant be considered a good guy who should have followers and supporters just because he might have saved a puppy once in his life....especially if he did horrific things like the holocaust at same time, which is genocide.

Muhammad also commited genocide i.e banu Qurayza (600-900 massacred), demolition of dhul khalasa (300 massacred), Massacre of the Citizens of Jurash by Surad ibn Abdullah on orders of MUhammad (most of tribe massacred).

All of which were offensive. Not a single person can claim that the latter 2 were pre-emeptive if they know the facts

Do you have nothing better to do than 'expose' Islam? :facepalm:

Their own fault for showing aggressiveness especially in the case of the Jewish tribe, it was one of their clan friends who judged that they should get the punishment.
And yh don't you have anything better to do then try to expose Islam? like 400+ posts alone on anti islamic stuff, I mean if you were just curious about stuff here and there it'd be ok, but you ask questions and when you get the answer that you don't agree with you just give your own pre-prepared answer and ignore the other person who answered.
Original post by Study
Their own fault for showing aggressiveness especially in the case of the Jewish tribe, it was one of their clan friends who judged that they should get the punishment.
And yh don't you have anything better to do then try to expose Islam? like 400+ posts alone on anti islamic stuff, I mean if you were just curious about stuff here and there it'd be ok, but you ask questions and when you get the answer that you don't agree with you just give your own pre-prepared answer and ignore the other person who answered.

Not to be insulting. But is Usama bin Laden related to you in anyway?

Since everything you say is what al-qaeda would say.

AL-qaeda considers it ok to kill people for mischief, and to them (and muhammad's companions), mischief includes not beleiving in god or obeying him.

I hope you dont think that opposing islam verbally or disobeying islamic teachings, constitutes to fighting muslims
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that Islam doesn't permit "dating". Does this mean to say you have minimal communication with the person you are destined to marry? How does it work?
Are you supposed to just date once and marry once?
Reply 15
Original post by Zangoose
Correct me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that Islam doesn't permit "dating". Does this mean to say you have minimal communication with the person you are destined to marry? How does it work?
Are you supposed to just date once and marry once?

"Dating" similar to what we see here in the "Western-world" does not exist among Muslims. the general misconception is that the only alternative to this method and the method used by Muslims is an "arranged marriage" but this isn't the case, the most common method does have similarities and friends and family may assist in arranging matches, but the final decision is left up to the couple.

The choice of a marriage partner is one of the most important decisions a person will make in his or her lifetime. It should not be taken lightly, nor left to chance or hormones. It should be taken as seriously as any other major decision in life - with prayer, careful investigation, and family involvement.

There are certain social norms that facilitate this method, Muslims form very close bonds between same-sex friends ("brothers" and "sisters") who can recommend partners if they think there is a suitability. Parents and other family members might also do the same. This could lead eventually to a meeting between the potential couple and see if the click, so to speak.

the things they take into account are different for each gender, a man is advised to look for a potential wife who fears Allaah (swt), is righteous and patient (among other qualities). The moral character of the woman is considered far more important than her looks or wealth.

The final step would be for the individuals to pray "salat al-istikharaa" and from there on the couple would either agree to pursue marriage or part ways; the freedom of choice to both the young man and woman is preserved, they cannot be forced into a marriage that they don't want.

Family involvement in the choice of a marriage partner helps assure that the choice is based not on romantic notions, but rather on a careful, objective evaluation of the compatibility of the couple. This type of focused courtship helps ensure the strength of the marriage, by drawing upon family elders' wisdom and guidance in this important life decision. That is why these marriages often prove successful in the long-term.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by In2deep
"Dating" similar to what we see here in the "Western-world" does not exist among Muslims. the general misconception is that the only alternative to this method and the method used by Muslims is an "arranged marriage" but this isn't the case, the most common method does have similarities and friends and family may assist in arranging matches, but the final decision is left up to the couple.

The choice of a marriage partner is one of the most important decisions a person will make in his or her lifetime. It should not be taken lightly, nor left to chance or hormones. It should be taken as seriously as any other major decision in life - with prayer, careful investigation, and family involvement.

There are certain social norms that facilitate this method, Muslims form very close bonds between same-sex friends ("brothers" and "sisters") who can recommend partners if they think there is a suitability. Parents and other family members might also do the same. This could lead eventually to a meeting between the potential couple and see if the click, so to speak.

the things they take into account are different for each gender, a man is advised to look for a potential wife who fears Allaah (swt), is righteous and patient (among other qualities). The moral character of the woman is considered far more important than her looks or wealth.

The final step would be for the individuals to pray "salat al-istikharaa" and from there on the couple would either agree to pursue marriage or part ways; the freedom of choice to both the young man and woman is preserved, they cannot be forced into a marriage that they don't want.

Family involvement in the choice of a marriage partner helps assure that the choice is based not on romantic notions, but rather on a careful, objective evaluation of the compatibility of the couple. This type of focused courtship helps ensure the strength of the marriage, by drawing upon family elders' wisdom and guidance in this important life decision. That is why these marriages often prove successful in the long-term.

Wow well thanks a lot for clearing that up! :biggrin:

If you don't mind, I have another question! This is regarding inter-religious courting and marriage procedures.

What types of restrictions, if any, are implemented if a Muslim decides they would like to be with a non-Muslim?
Reply 17
Original post by Zangoose
Wow well thanks a lot for clearing that up! :biggrin:

If you don't mind, I have another question! This is regarding inter-religious courting and marriage procedures.

What types of restrictions, if any, are implemented if a Muslim decides they would like to be with a non-Muslim?

The most obvious one to mention is that a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man. While a Muslim man is only permitted to marry a Christian or Jewish woman (and obviously a Muslim as well)..
Original post by In2deep
The most obvious one to mention is that a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man. While a Muslim man is only permitted to marry a Christian or Jewish woman (and obviously a Muslim as well)..

I like your honesty when answering that question.

i know some apologists who say muslim women can marry anyone, their is no restrictionn. only liars say it isnt the case....obviouslly thats bogus based on the evidence
Not to be insulting. But is Usama bin Laden related to you in anyway?

Since everything you say is what al-qaeda would say.

AL-qaeda considers it ok to kill people for mischief, and to them (and muhammad's companions), mischief includes not beleiving in god or obeying him.

I hope you dont think that opposing islam verbally or disobeying islamic teachings, constitutes to fighting muslims

Seriously get a history lesson, you need to learn the difference between war and mischief. You are like the most ...... person I've met... you can guess what the dots are for.