The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As a firm atheist, not being raised in a religious family at all, I have my conceptions and ideas from the outside world, I'm completely unbiased.

However, a question:

Recently watched a documentary about Stacey Dooley in Luton, and the radical Islamism there. It shocked me about what the things were said by these so-called Muslims who are hell bent on their religion which I thought was meant to live in peace with different people and appreciate their thoughts?

One thing that stuck to me was 'you are not a Muslim, you are going to hell. All non-Muslims go to hell'...

I'm sorry but do people really think this?
As a firm atheist, not being raised in a religious family at all, I have my conceptions and ideas from the outside world, I'm completely unbiased.

However, a question:

Recently watched a documentary about Stacey Dooley in Luton, and the radical Islamism there. It shocked me about what the things were said by these so-called Muslims who are hell bent on their religion which I thought was meant to live in peace with different people and appreciate their thoughts?

One thing that stuck to me was 'you are not a Muslim, you are going to hell. All non-Muslims go to hell'...

Original post by mightyfrog2_10
Allah's not a guy :biggrin: but He would love you to become a Muslim though. :smile:

Would Allah prefer people to be good people in general and not Muslim or be Muslim and be a generally bad person?
Original post by TheBBQ
Would Allah prefer people to be good people in general and not Muslim or be Muslim and be a generally bad person?

If you'd asked: "Would Allah prefer people to be good people in general and not Muslim or be Muslim and be a generally good person?"
I think that would have been a good question, I think He would prefer a Muslim who's been good - who's worshiped him alone.

Post this in Ask about Islam thread..
Some idiots blocked me on the isoc page, the meanies :frown: but a genuine question: what if a Muslim was a murderer and was a very bad person generally, would he still be favoured by the Islamic community over someone who is a non Muslim and a philanthropist for example?
Original post by PropaneHorcrux

However, a question:

Hi

The Islamic belief is that disbelievers will be in hell for eternity.

A disbeliever is not the same as a non Muslim.

Sahih International
Say to those who disbelieve, "You will be overcome and gathered together to Hell, and wretched is the resting place."
(Quran 3:12)

A disbeliever is one who hears about Islam and rejects it.

A non Muslim who hasn’t heard of Islam has a chance of paradise.

By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be but one of the denizens of Hell-Fire.
[Sahih Muslim]
Original post by newcastle123
Hi

The Islamic belief is that disbelievers will be in hell for eternity.

A disbeliever is not the same as a non Muslim.

Sahih International
Say to those who disbelieve, "You will be overcome and gathered together to Hell, and wretched is the resting place."
(Quran 3:12)

A disbeliever is one who hears about Islam and rejects it.

A non Muslim who hasn’t heard of Islam has a chance of paradise.

By Him in Whose hand is the life of Muhammad, he who amongst the community of Jews or Christians hears about me, but does not affirm his belief in that with which I have been sent and dies in this state (of disbelief), he shall be but one of the denizens of Hell-Fire.
[Sahih Muslim]

Can you expand on what a disbeliever is exactly? I've heard of Islam and some of it's very fine morals however I choose not to accept it, I choose not to accept any god or religion. Does that make me a disbeliever? I do think people have the right to practice it well and to a good extent for the good of others.
Original post by TheBBQ

Can someone answer this please. Am curious too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBBQ

Hi, I am answering your question by regarding a non Muslim as someone who has heard of Islam but rejects it.

Allah would prefer a Muslim over a disbeliever.

Sahih International
Then is one who was a believer like one who was defiantly disobedient? They are not equal.
(Quran 32:18)

Sahih International
They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers. (Quran 5:72)

Sahih International
Then will We treat the Muslims like the criminals?

What is [the matter] with you? How do you judge?

(Quran 68:35-36)

A Muslim no matter what he has done will be eligible for paradise.
Whereas a disbeliever no matter how many good deeds they do will be in hell for eternity.

A disbelievers deeds will be no use to them in the hereafter no matter how many good deeds they do.

Allah says regarding disbelievers:

Sahih International
And We will regard what they have done of deeds and make them as dust dispersed.
(Quran 25:23)

Finally

Sahih International
And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.
(Quran 51:56)

He didn't say

and I did not create the jinn and mankind except to do good.

Therefore the disbeliever doing good deeds isn't doing what they are created for.
Can you expand on what a disbeliever is exactly? I've heard of Islam and some of it's very fine morals however I choose not to accept it, I choose not to accept any god or religion. Does that make me a disbeliever? I do think people have the right to practice it well and to a good extent for the good of others.

I don't how else to expand on what a disbeliever is. If you have heard the correct understanding of Islam and reject and die upon it. Then you would be considered a disbeliever.
I don't how else to expand on what a disbeliever is. If you have heard the correct understanding of Islam and reject and die upon it. Then you would be considered a disbeliever.

Okay so I am a disbeliever. But I consider myself a nice person or one who strives to be. I want to do medicine as a career for it's actual fulfillment, I have saved many lives from suicide, I volunteer on a daily basis and I'm not a benefit cheat? Also a very keen musician,
Do all of those things make me go to hell?
Hi, I am answering your question by regarding a non Muslim as someone who has heard of Islam but rejects it.

Allah would prefer a Muslim over a disbeliever.

Sahih International
Then is one who was a believer like one who was defiantly disobedient? They are not equal.
(Quran 32:18)

Sahih International
They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah - Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers. (Quran 5:72)

Sahih International
Then will We treat the Muslims like the criminals?

What is [the matter] with you? How do you judge?

(Quran 68:35-36)

A Muslim no matter what he has done will be eligible for paradise.
Whereas a disbeliever no matter how many good deeds they do will be in hell for eternity.

A disbelievers deeds will be no use to them in the hereafter no matter how many good deeds they do.

Allah says regarding disbelievers:

Sahih International
And We will regard what they have done of deeds and make them as dust dispersed.
(Quran 25:23)

Finally

Sahih International
And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me.
(Quran 51:56)

He didn't say

and I did not create the jinn and mankind except to do good.

Therefore the disbeliever doing good deeds isn't doing what they are created for.

Oh wow okay, thanks for your honest response. :erm:
Okay so I am a disbeliever. But I consider myself a nice person or one who strives to be. I want to do medicine as a career for it's actual fulfillment, I have saved many lives from suicide, I volunteer on a daily basis and I'm not a benefit cheat? Also a very keen musician,
Do all of those things make me go to hell?

If you do those good actions and die as a disbeliever then you will be in hell for eternity.

Your good deeds will not benefit you on the day of judgement.

Sahih International
(Qruan 25:23)
If you do those good actions and die as a disbeliever then you will be in hell for eternity.

Your good deeds will not benefit you on the day of judgement.

Sahih International
(Qruan 25:23)

But you as a person, not a Muslim, you genuinely believe that I'm a bad person even though I have so many good deeds, for being a 'disbeliever'? An answer from your human perspective not a religious perspective would be welcomed :biggrin:
But you as a person, not a Muslim, you genuinely believe that I'm a bad person even though I have so many good deeds, for being a 'disbeliever'? An answer from your human perspective not a religious perspective would be welcomed :biggrin:

If I was a non muslim I wouldn't consider you a bad person.

Since this is a religious thread I have to give my answer based on Islam

Sahih International
And who is more unjust than one who invents about Allah a lie or denies His verses? Indeed, the wrongdoers will not succeed.

(Quran 6:21)
If I was a non muslim I wouldn't consider you a bad person.

Since this is a religious thread I have to give my answer based on Islam

Sahih International
And who is more unjust than one who invents about Allah a lie or denies His verses? Indeed, the wrongdoers will not succeed.

(Quran 6:21)

Thank you, it means a lot that you as a person (which is much more important than being part of a religion) doesn't consider me a bad person. But I appreciate what the Quran says. :smile:

Even in the Prophet's time there were non-mulims and kuffar (disbelievers/rejectors) that was morally "good" and also treated him well like for example his uncle Abu Talib (well no one is sure whether he died as a Muslim, what counts is the belief at the time of death). The Prophet is not reported to have said that he is saved, but rather his "punishment" is greatly reduced.

There are two group of rights that one has to fulfill on earth. Rights of others and the right of God. If you reject God while knowing that He is God that would be like and a lot of times worse as if you're dismissing your parents while you know that are actually your parents. This is the same if you believe that God exists but wittingly reject the Messenger.

This would mean that part of your heart accepts the fact but your resist the actions that would actually flow from the belief (saying the Kalimah etc) because of various reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Even in the Prophet's time there were non-mulims and kuffar (disbelievers/rejectors) that was morally "good" and also treated him well like for example his uncle Abu Talib (well no one is sure whether he died as a Muslim, what counts is the belief at the time of death). The Prophet is not reported to have said that he is saved, but rather his "punishment" is greatly reduced.

There are two group of rights that one has to fulfill on earth. Rights of others and the right of God. If you reject God while knowing that He is God that would be like and a lot of times worse as if you're dismissing your parents while you know that are actually your parents. This is the same if you believe that God exists but wittingly reject the Messenger.

This would mean that part of your heart accepts the fact but your resist the actions that would actually flow from the belief (saying the Kalimah etc) because of various reasons.

What's kalimah?
What's kalimah?

The words "There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah" which is the core starting point of the faith
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending