The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
I am Hindu/Buddhist mix and wanted to know how Islam interprets conscienceness. With the advent of Quantam mechanics the age old teachings of Hinduism and Buddhism are shedding light on some difficult concepts in the quantam world, i.e reality is false, and it is our perception that "creates" possibilties.

What is Islams view on the idea of reality and perception? We have come to discover that particles have conscienceness due to there ability to interpet information...

Also what do muslims think of the universe being cyclic? As you may or may not know, the 2 dharmic religions believe everything goes through stages of birth and death... therefore similiarly the universe has also been created and destroyed. What are your views on this?

One last thing ( I know alot of questions, so thank you to any of you who can answer), if Islams view of hell is another persons idea of heaven, where do they go?

Thanks
Reply 141
Original post by J DOT A

One last thing ( I know alot of questions, so thank you to any of you who can answer), if Islams view of hell is another persons idea of heaven, where do they go?

Thanks

I don't know about the rest but I'm intrigued as to what you actually mean by this?
Reply 142
Original post by leiloon
It seems that I should detail it for you! I don't want to study it in order to become familiar with his ideas which I believe in them thoroughly. I have it in Arabic and Persian I want to find its English translation to use it in a part of my thesis. Although I can buy it but I prefer to find it in the internet.

SOME HELP PLEASE ....!

HOW CAN I FIND ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF NAHJOLBALAGHAH ....

http://www.al-islam.org/nahj/
Original post by J DOT A
I am Hindu/Buddhist mix and wanted to know how Islam interprets conscienceness. With the advent of Quantam mechanics the age old teachings of Hinduism and Buddhism are shedding light on some difficult concepts in the quantam world, i.e reality is false, and it is our perception that "creates" possibilties.

What is Islams view on the idea of reality and perception? We have come to discover that particles have conscienceness due to there ability to interpet information...

Also what do muslims think of the universe being cyclic? As you may or may not know, the 2 dharmic religions believe everything goes through stages of birth and death... therefore similiarly the universe has also been created and destroyed. What are your views on this?

Thanks

That's something more in the philosophical arena and not with quantum mechanics (where you've stated that 'reality' is false).
How do you define conscience? In what way do particles 'interpret' information?
What do you mean by the universe being cyclic - it has no beginning?

Its really not encouraged for muslims to try to find out if certain lines from the Quran could mean that for e.g. it supports the big bang theory etc. because these lines tend to be ambiguous - besides the Quran isn't a science book.
Original post by J DOT A

A cylical universe would imply that it had no beginng and no end. Since the only entity which can be eternal is God, then muslims must reject this idea.
Original post by Person1001
That's something more in the philosophical arena and not with quantum mechanics (where you've stated that 'reality' is false).

Quantum mechanics does state that the idea of material matter is an illusion due to the uncertianty principle and wave-particle duality. For some reason our conciousness views matter in a well defined state, wheras otherwise it would be impossible to exactly locate matter/particles.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by mel0n
I don't know about the rest but I'm intrigued as to what you actually mean by this?

The idea of hell fire is such that infinite years of torment and anguish will succumb those that do bad or disbelieve.... but what if the idea of torment and anguish satisfies that person?
You might think, what kind of person would like such a thing? But I think as human beings prove time and time again, there is no "one size fits all" rule.
Reply 147
Original post by J DOT A
The idea of hell fire is such that infinite years of torment and anguish will succumb those that do bad or disbelieve.... but what if the idea of torment and anguish satisfies that person?
You might think, what kind of person would like such a thing? But I think as human beings prove time and time again, there is no "one size fits all" rule.

I doubt those who feel satisfied with torment and anguish in this life will have the same mindset in the next. In the same way that there will be no feeling of jealousy or ill-feeling between the inhabitants of paradise - even though people in this life may think they may feel jealous of one thing or another - perhaps the same could be said for the inhabitants of hell. Allahu a'lam.
Original post by Charzhino
Quantum mechanics does state that the idea of material matter is an illusion due to the uncertianty principle and wave-particle duality. For some reason our conciousness views matter in a well defined state, wheras otherwise it would be impossible to exactly locate matter/particles.

OK lol. My idea of 'illusion' was radically different.
Reply 149
How do you define conscience? In what way do particles 'interpret' information?
What do you mean by the universe being cyclic - it has no beginning?

Its really not encouraged for muslims to try to find out if certain lines from the Quran could mean that for e.g. it supports the big bang theory etc. because these lines tend to be ambiguous - besides the Quran isn't a science book.

Actually the world is percived by the interpreter i.e us. Perception changes reality and therefore our realities are false or changable. And we define conscience as being able to interpet infromation and of self awareness...therefore particles are defined as having conscienceness, the reason for this is because of the photoelectric effect and of the double slit experiment.

I know the Quran isn't a science book, but then why so does it claim to have science in it? It seems as if people use "science" in the Quran to provide evidence for the divine, but we have science so why do we need the quran? I know both are not mutually exclusive, but surely the Quran needs Science more than Science needs the Quran?
Reply 150
Original post by mel0n
I doubt those who feel satisfied with torment and anguish in this life will have the same mindset in the next. In the same way that there will be no feeling of jealousy or ill-feeling between the inhabitants of paradise - even though people in this life may think they may feel jealous of one thing or another - perhaps the same could be said for the inhabitants of hell. Allahu a'lam.

Thank you for your response. I just wanted to ask then, using the same concept, what if one persons idea of heaven is anothers hell? Can heaven accomidate the needs of everyones wishes for eternity?

Also, where is this Heaven and where is this Hell? would it lie within our soul or is it a physical entity?
Original post by J DOT A
Actually the world is percived by the interpreter i.e us. Perception changes reality and therefore our realities are false or changable. And we define conscience as being able to interpet infromation and of self awareness...therefore particles are defined as having conscienceness, the reason for this is because of the photoelectric effect and of the double slit experiment. ?

So you did mean it philosophically.
Wave-partical duality unfortunately doesnt imply particles have consciousness - we dont know whether particles are aware of their own existence -let alone being capable of 'awareness'
Original post by J DOT A

I know the Quran isn't a science book, but then why so does it claim to have science in it? It seems as if people use "science" in the Quran to provide evidence for the divine, but we have science so why do we need the quran? I know both are not mutually exclusive, but surely the Quran needs Science more than Science needs the Quran?

What? The Quran doesn't aim to prove the existence of God - in fact its axiomatic - the Quran does tell us to reflect on life though.
I don't agree with others proving the divinity of the Quran from taking out what they believe to be 'scientific facts' - i don't believe this was God's intention tbh.
Reply 152
A cylical universe would imply that it had no beginng and no end. Since the only entity which can be eternal is God, then muslims must reject this idea.

But if proved correct that the universe was created and destroyed many times over, then what?
The big bang doesn't deal with what happened before our universe was created, only the time after it was concived, and therefore the idea that the universe had been destroyed and then created seems like a more feasible concept.
Original post by J DOT A
But if proved correct that the universe was created and destroyed many times over, then what?
The big bang doesn't deal with what happened before our universe was created, only the time after it was concived, and therefore the idea that the universe had been destroyed and then created seems like a more feasible concept.

It doesnt make it more concievable, just another option. If it was cyclical therefore eternal, what would distinguish God and the universe sincer they both have no beginning?
Reply 154
So you did mean it philosophically.
Wave-partical duality unfortunately doesnt imply particles have consciousness - we dont know whether particles are aware of their own existence -let alone being capable of 'awareness'

What? The Quran doesn't aim to prove the existence of God - in fact its axiomatic - the Quran does tell us to reflect on life though.
I don't agree with others proving the divinity of the Quran from taking out what they believe to be 'scientific facts' - i don't believe this was God's intention tbh.

Wave-particle duality isn't what proves that particles have consciousness, it is the fact that when you have 2 slits on a board, the particle can go through either one. When you have one slit it somehow realises this fact and goes through that slit.
Therfore we conclude that somehow the particle instantly registers this information.

Also just to add, it is well documented that cousin marriges increase a childs chances of genetic deformity and disability. Now it is well documented that Muhammad did marry his cousin and consumated the marrige. Why would God who spoke to Muhammad and taught him what is right and what is wrong, not tell him that actually this was a bad practise, even though it was widespread in Arabia?
Reply 155
It doesnt make it more concievable, just another option. If it was cyclical therefore eternal, what would distinguish God and the universe sincer they both have no beginning?

I don't believe that God is seperate from the universe, so taking the pantheistic view you could argue that God is the universe. And that truth is actually ultimate reality.
Reply 156
Original post by J DOT A
Thank you for your response. I just wanted to ask then, using the same concept, what if one persons idea of heaven is anothers hell?
Can heaven accomidate the needs of everyones wishes for eternity?

Paradise will cater to everybody's needs for eternity (this seems pretty obvious, surely?) - I find it really strange that someone would want to go to Paradise but would want eternal torture for eternity - unless you're meaning 'hell' in a different way?

Also, where is this Heaven and where is this Hell? would it lie within our soul or is it a physical entity?

Heaven and Hell are physical creations:

Abu Hurairah (radiAllahu anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said: "When Allah created Paradise and Hellfire, He sent Gabriel to Paradise, saying, ‘look at it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants.’ So Gabriel went to it and looked at it and at what Allah had prepared therein for its inhabitants. Then Gabriel returned it Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, no one hears of it without entering it.’ So Allah ordered that it be encompassed by forms of hardship, and He said, ‘Return to it and look at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants! So, Gabriel returned to it and found that it was encompassed by forms of hardship. Then he returned to Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, I fear that no one will enter it, Allah said, ‘Go to Hellfire and look at it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants.’ Gabriel found that it was in layers, one above the other. Then Gabriel returned to Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, no one who hears of it will enter it.’ So Allah ordered that it be encompassed by lusts. Then He said, ‘Return to it and Gabriel returned to it and said, ‘By Your glory, I am frightened that no one will escape from entering it.’ [at-Tirmidhi, abu Dawud and An-Nasa'i]
Original post by J DOT A
Wave-particle duality isn't what proves that particles have consciousness, it is the fact that when you have 2 slits on a board, the particle can go through either one. When you have one slit it somehow realises this fact (you're begging the question) and goes through that slit.
Therfore we conclude that somehow the particle instantly registers this information.

I am aware of the single slit experiment phenomena - unfortunately it doesn't lend support to an idea that particles are 'aware' or 'self-aware'.
Original post by J DOT A

Also just to add, it is well documented that cousin marriges increase a childs chances of genetic deformity and disability. Now it is well documented that Muhammad did marry his cousin and consumated the marrige. Why would God who spoke to Muhammad and taught him what is right and what is wrong, not tell him that actually this was a bad practise, even though it was widespread in Arabia?

I'm not really knowledgable on this matter surrounding the history (although I should be) but I'm sure there would be an infinite number of tips God could have told all of the prophets - but the bare neccessities came first :h: . Besides there were a lot of traditions and habits that the prophet broke from the people at the time including burying daughters and drinking alcohol etc. which seemed like a burden for the prophet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 158
Original post by mel0n
Paradise will cater to everybody's needs for eternity (this seems pretty obvious, surely?) - I find it really strange that someone would want to go to Paradise but would want eternal torture for eternity - unless you're meaning 'hell' in a different way?

Heaven and Hell are physical creations:

Abu Hurairah (radiAllahu anhu) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (salAllahu alayhi wasalam) said: "When Allah created Paradise and Hellfire, He sent Gabriel to Paradise, saying, ‘look at it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants.’ So Gabriel went to it and looked at it and at what Allah had prepared therein for its inhabitants. Then Gabriel returned it Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, no one hears of it without entering it.’ So Allah ordered that it be encompassed by forms of hardship, and He said, ‘Return to it and look at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants! So, Gabriel returned to it and found that it was encompassed by forms of hardship. Then he returned to Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, I fear that no one will enter it, Allah said, ‘Go to Hellfire and look at it and at what I have prepared therein for its inhabitants.’ Gabriel found that it was in layers, one above the other. Then Gabriel returned to Allah and said, ‘By Your glory, no one who hears of it will enter it.’ So Allah ordered that it be encompassed by lusts. Then He said, ‘Return to it and Gabriel returned to it and said, ‘By Your glory, I am frightened that no one will escape from entering it.’ [at-Tirmidhi, abu Dawud and An-Nasa'i]

But in eternal paradise, surely we would get sick of it after a couple of thousand of years... like the chinese said, we need both good and bad, for one without the other would make it undefinable. So lets say your in eternal paradise and get tired of it, then what?
Surley this life is where heaven and hell lies? inside the mind. Now you might say "how can someone be tired of eternal paradise", but then I could argue how could someone not be tired of it? Is it our souls that go to heaven or our bodies or spirit or what?
Reply 159
I am aware of the single slit experiment phenomena - unfortunately it doesn't lend support to an idea that particles are 'aware' or 'self-aware'.

I'm not really knowledgable on this matter surrounding the history (although I should be) but I'm sure there would be an infinite number of tips God could have told all of the prophets - but the bare neccessities came first :h: .

Okay, so could you tell me what neccessities God did tell us?

Latest

Trending

Trending