The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by xy5
For some reason you got a negative rep thingy for your post. Strange..Possibly becuase you did well in your exams..that seems the nature of our scoiety.
From teaching FP1/FP2 and knowing FP3 I would say the level of complexity for FP1 is slightly beyond C2 in the fact you have to sometimes think a little differently for example on proof by induction.
The coordinate geometry section can fox less able students also.
Its not though highly taxing in comparison to FP2/3 which are a country mile beyond FP1 in terms of sorting the more able students. Its harder to blag your way through the further modules in comparison to the core ones.
I really like FP2, like FP3 and think FP1 is ok but not mindblowingly interesting.

Thanks for your reply. I also found FP1 quite simpe, now lets see if i am able to match my 100/100 ambition in it.
I was also wondering the reason for the negative rep.
Reply 41
Original post by raheem94
Thanks for your reply. I also found FP1 quite simpe, now lets see if i am able to match my 100/100 ambition in it.
I was also wondering the reason for the negative rep.

The papers are often straight forward for able students and dare I say it, often a little precitable. A nice proof by induction that is not as obvious (ie one inclusing r! is good) or a tricky parabola problem but thats about your lot.
I believe you will receive negative reps for openly stating your UMS. I have seen a lot of it and it falls in line with the society we live in unfortunately.
For some reason people can't graps the difference between stating fact and arrogance.
Be proud of success as you have done well.
Reply 42

Original post by xy5
The papers are often straight forward for able students and dare I say it, often a little precitable. A nice proof by induction that is not as obvious (ie one inclusing r! is good) or a tricky parabola problem but thats about your lot.
I believe you will receive negative reps for openly stating your UMS. I have seen a lot of it and it falls in line with the society we live in unfortunately.
For some reason people can't graps the difference between stating fact and arrogance.
Be proud of success as you have done well.

I've never seen a question with r! for induction, could you give an example?
Reply 43
FP1's not far away now!
Reply 44
Original post by Arsey

Original post by Arsey
I can sort some FP2 solutions out, I doubt I will have time to look into M3. We don't offer FP3, so no to that.

I will be doing

C1-C4
D1
M1-M2
FP1
S1

Just wondering Arsey, been doing some OCR + MEI FP1 papers, do we need to be able to do questions like so:

The roots of the cubic equation x^3 + 3x^2 - 7x + 1 = 0 has three roots, A, B and C. Find the cubic equation whose roots are 3A, 3B, 3C. (I assume this is complex numbers?)
Reply 45
find the roots of the given cubic, multiply them all by 3, put them in brackets expand

or

x^3 + 3x^2 - 7x + 1 = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

so compare the expansion of (x - a)(x - b)(x - c) with (x-3a)(x-3b)(x-3c)

The number will increase by a factor of 27

coef of x will increase by a factor of 9

coef of x^2 will increase by a factor of 3

coef of x^3 will remain the same

x^3 + 9x^2 - 63x + 27

First method, is easier I would say
Reply 46
Original post by Arsey
find the roots of the given cubic, multiply them all by 3, put them in brackets expand

or

x^3 + 3x^2 - 7x + 1 = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

so compare the expansion of (x - a)(x - b)(x - c) with (x-3a)(x-3b)(x-3c)

The number will increase by a factor of 27

coef of x will increase by a factor of 9

coef of x^2 will increase by a factor of 3

coef of x^3 will remain the same

x^3 + 9x^2 - 63x + 27

First method, is easier I would say

I know this is off-topic and I apologise for that, but what time are the C3 solutions coming out? I'm pulling my hair out over the exam :frown:
Reply 47
midnight if awake
Reply 48
Original post by Arsey
midnight if awake

Please stay awake <3
I'm waiting
I would appreciate some help with induction... the 'divisibility' type of question.

For example, text book Ex 6B, no.11.... or review exercise 2, no.54...

If someone could do the working for those I'd be very grateful.
Reply 50
Original post by game well and truly over

Original post by game well and truly over
I would appreciate some help with induction... the 'divisibility' type of question.

For example, text book Ex 6B, no.11.... or review exercise 2, no.54...

If someone could do the working for those I'd be very grateful.

Basically, show for f(1), assume true for f(k). Usually, with f(k+1), it's easiest to find this in a form similar to f(k), so eg 2 (2^k) (for k) and 2(2(2^k)) for (k+1), which is the same as 4(2^k).

Then you should show f(k+1) - f(k) = a number, which can factor out a FACTOR you are looking for, say 3. When you ADD the f(k) to both sides, it becomes f(k+1) = f(k) = 3(x) (x being a random number, or whatever), and if we assume the f(k) is true, then anything divisible by 3 PLUS anything divisible by 3 MUST EQUAL something divisible by 3, so true for f(k+1).

Hope it helps!
I think I'm being stupid and can't see it, but how do you differentiate xcosx without using C3's product rule? (Q2 Jan '10)
Reply 52
Original post by snow leopard
I think I'm being stupid and can't see it, but how do you differentiate xcosx without using C3's product rule? (Q2 Jan '10)

Where did you get the paper from? :s-smilie:

The Jan 10 I've got has question 2 as 3x^2 -11/(x^2) ?
Original post by JoshC.
Where did you get the paper from? :s-smilie:

The Jan 10 I've got has question 2 as 3x^2 -11/(x^2) ?

Sorry I just realised I was looking at an old spec paper *facepalm*
Reply 54
When doing induction to prove divisibility and you get:
f(k+1)=f(k)+x
And you subsequently prove the x term is divisible. How does this prove that the entire f(k+1) is divisible when you don't know that f(k) is divisible seeing as you've only assumed it is, if you understand what I mean?
What papers do people start with? I looked at 2005 and its got things like Polar Equations..etc? :s-smilie:
Original post by theseeker
What papers do people start with? I looked at 2005 and its got things like Polar Equations..etc? :s-smilie:

thats old spec. check the new spec though theres only a few of the new spec papers
Reply 57
Original post by JOR2010
I've never seen a question with r! for induction, could you give an example?

There's one in the FP1 text book.

Unparseable latex formula:

$\displaystyle\sum\limits_{r=1}^n r(r!) = (n+1)! - 1$

Surely you're not required to know how to manipulate factorial terms though in FP1? I don't recall on any core syllabus actually having to do algebra with factorial terms.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Darkarium

Original post by Darkarium
There's one in the FP1 text book.

Unparseable latex formula:

$\displaystyle\sum\limits_{r=1}^n r(r!) = (n+1)! - 1$

Surely you're not required to know how to manipulate factorial terms though in FP1? I don't recall on any core syllabus actually having to do algebra with factorial terms.

I guess not, but it's essentially not as bad as it seems! The exam will tell, anyway! :wink:
Reply 59
Need to do well on this for an ego boost after most probably doing terrible in C4. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending