The Student Room Group

C4 Jan 12 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion - Solutions in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by vishcr7
i did the modulus method, removed it to get 109 directly, then removed it again to get 71 or something to subtract it from 180. great. so no marks at all, or a couple to get the final answer right and the formula?

also, q8c- e^infinite is not possible and e^-infinite=0, therefore population can never exceed 5000, would give me the mark?

yes as t--->+infinity , e^-1/3t tend toward 0. therefore P=5/1+0 =5 in thousand so 5000. :smile:
Reply 381
Original post by asas78978
yes as t--->+infinity , e^-1/3t tend toward 0. therefore P=5/1+0 =5 in thousand so 5000. :smile:

but i dint show the equation. is that still fine?
for the parametric question, how many marks will i lose if i didn't differentiate x? I know that means i got the entire part b wrong and the whole thing altogether was worth 8 marks :s
Reply 383
Original post by Ruvermillion
for the parametric question, how many marks will i lose if i didn't differentiate x? I know that means i got the entire part b wrong and the whole thing altogether was worth 8 marks :s

method mark for not differentiating and all the other accuracy marks provided your method was correct. I'd say, you would lose around 4 to 5 here.
Reply 384
For 6c, I kept getting to 4ln(1+cosx) -4(1+cos)x + k just like it is in the mark scheme.......
but the question says 4ln(1+cosx) - 4cosx + k
Confused much!
Original post by Erotas
For 6c, I kept getting to 4ln(1+cosx) -4(1+cos)x + k just like it is in the mark scheme.......
but the question says 4ln(1+cosx) - 4cosx + k
Confused much!

If you just expand to make 4ln(1+cosx) -4cosx -4 +c
You can then take the -4 into the c, as they are both just constants. Rename k as c, and then k=c-4

Hope this makes sense :biggrin:
Reply 386
Original post by vishcr7
but i dint show the equation. is that still fine?

Well I suppose it is fine as long as you said something like exponential function tend towards 0 and then 5/1 in thousand=5000.:smile:
Reply 387
Original post by vishcr7
i did the modulus method, removed it to get 109 directly, then removed it again to get 71 or something to subtract it from 180. great. so no marks at all, or a couple to get the final answer right and the formula?

also, q8c- e^infinite is not possible and e^-infinite=0, therefore population can never exceed 5000, would give me the mark?

You should be okay on the first one, they don't tend to be too picky

I would say no to the second one, but you never know.
Reply 388
Original post by gdunne42
the day before results

I seem to remember getting them the week before the jan results, last year
Original post by Arsey

HI MATE i sent a message on s1 please check if possible i would really appreciate :smile:
Dang... I put 1/3pi ln4... still the same as 2/3 pi ln2 though! Aah, it's probably just one little mark, so here's hoping you don't need all 75 marks to get 100 UMS!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 391
Original post by Arsey

please post it here as soon as you get it, for c3 and m1 all the others too..
Reply 392
Original post by GreenKitten
Dang... I put 1/3pi ln4... still the same as 2/3 pi ln2 though! Aah, it's probably just one little mark, so here's hoping you don't need all 75 marks to get 100 UMS!

nope, its still in the frm of klna, so you're not losing anything. If that was th only error you made, according to you, you'll definitely get a 100.
Reply 393
Well I suppose it is fine as long as you said something like exponential function tend towards 0 and then 5/1 in thousand=5000.:smile:

arsey has a different opinion on this though. but thanks :smile:
Reply 394
Original post by vishcr7
arsey has a different opinion on this though. but thanks :smile:

What is his opinion? Surely it works!:s-smilie:
Original post by Arsey

was that from the emporium email? I don't think I saw them on the Edexcel site that early - may be wrong
Reply 396

It is only a 1 marker, so you could be okay, it just isn't a complete explanation that is all.
Reply 397
Original post by gdunne42
was that from the emporium email? I don't think I saw them on the Edexcel site that early - may be wrong

I never get anything direct from the Edexcel site

Grade boundaries will be set at the end of Feb. We get the MS at least a week before the results are released. I can not remember if we get the grade boundaries at the same time, it may not be until the day before the results are released.
Reply 398

i hope it does, but he feels that unless ive expressed it IN the equation, i'll get 0 for it.
Reply 399
Original post by Arsey
I never get anything direct from the Edexcel site

Grade boundaries will be set at the end of Feb. We get the MS at least a week before the results are released. I can not remember if we get the grade boundaries at the same time, it may not be until the day before the results are released.

so are you allowed to post it here? (I'm guessing, it's not available to the candidates until the results are out)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending