How are you revising for it?
Are you nervous or confident?

Let's discuss!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmTheChosenOne

Let's discuss!!!

I think its all going quite well. How are you feeling about it. (Do you where I could find some older past papers from)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by i am god ovbz
I think its all going quite well. How are you feeling about it. (Do you where I could find some older past papers from)

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FPhysics%2FAQA%2FPhysics+A/
here. But the spec changed so you need to choose questions that are relevant to PHYA1
I'm really nervous. We did our mock last week and I did okay-ish (I got a comfortable B grade) but I'm still unsure. I keep losing marks on some of the longer questions such as explaining the photo-electric effect or what happens in fluorescent bulbs. :frown:

Let's discuss!!!

How are you finding it?
Original post by issyconnor
I'm really nervous. We did our mock last week and I did okay-ish (I got a comfortable B grade) but I'm still unsure. I keep losing marks on some of the longer questions such as explaining the photo-electric effect or what happens in fluorescent bulbs. :frown:

How are you finding it?

Me too :/ I wish I can see sample full mark answers to those questions

I'm finding chapter3 (photoelectric effect) extremely hard but the rest are okay I guess
Me too :/ I wish I can see sample full mark answers to those questions

I'm finding chapter3 (photoelectric effect) extremely hard but the rest are okay I guess

I suppose you could go the AQA markschemes for Physics, but they only give a brief overwiew.

Our physics teacher gave us a sample question and answer on the photoelectric effect that has come up before in exams, albeit worded differently. He basically told us to keep practising answering these sort of questions, so that when we're in the exam and a long question like that comes up, we can instantly answer it.

This was the question:

Explain why the Classical Laws of Physics do not explain the Photo-Electric Effect but the Quantum Laws of Physics (E = hf) do explain the Photo-Electric Effect.

I can send you a PM with the model answer, if you want it. :smile:
I suppose you could go the AQA markschemes for Physics, but they only give a brief overwiew.

Our physics teacher gave us a sample question and answer on the photoelectric effect that has come up before in exams, albeit worded differently. He basically told us to keep practising answering these sort of questions, so that when we're in the exam and a long question like that comes up, we can instantly answer it.

This was the question:

Explain why the Classical Laws of Physics do not explain the Photo-Electric Effect but the Quantum Laws of Physics (E = hf) do explain the Photo-Electric Effect.

I can send you a PM with the model answer, if you want it. :smile:

Could you please? I'd love to see the model answer! :smile:
What on earth is Classical Laws of Physics? :eek:
Reply 8
So..
Hows the revish going?
Retaker here, and it's not really going at all. :frown: Stupid internal resistance and potential dividers argh.
Original post by BlissJunkie
Retaker here, and it's not really going at all. :frown: Stupid internal resistance and potential dividers argh.

Ahh duude! I dont like potential dividers, but apparently, you can get away with it if you have a strong basic knowledge of your rules for cicuits.
Therefor, chilll <3
Original post by anuradha_d
Ahh duude! I dont like potential dividers, but apparently, you can get away with it if you have a strong basic knowledge of your rules for cicuits.
Therefor, chilll <3

Haha, time to get cracking with circuit rules then!
Original post by BlissJunkie
Haha, time to get cracking with circuit rules then!

LOL yeahh!
Reply 13
Hey guys, i need some help with particle physics. i got a couple of q's.
Firstly, could someone give a list of all the hadrons,leptons,baryons,mesons that we need to know for the exam.
Also, what is the difference between a muon neutrino and an electron neutrino, and what are their lepton numbers and their charges?
Please get back to me quickly, thanks guys :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by sechdent8
Firstly, could someone give a list of all the hadrons,leptons,baryons,mesons that we need to know for the exam.
Also, what is the difference between a muon neutrino and an electron neutrino, and what are their lepton numbers and their charges?

Hadrons are defined by being made of quarks and feeling the strong nuclear force
--> 2 groups: Baryons, baryon number =1, e.g. protons, neutrons, made of three quarks.
Mesons, Baryon number= 0, e.g. Pi-meson, K-meson, made of a quark and an anti quark.

Lepton--> e.g. electrons, nutrinos. not made of quarks. baryon number=0 lepton number=1
You don't have to know much about them, they'll give you the right information to deduce what they want you to answer. When completing an equation and not sure what neutrino it would be, you need to make sure matter is conserved and that will help you figure out what neutrino to use.
Reply 15
I'm reallllyyyy worried about electricity. I'm retaking because last year I got an E, i did best on this topic though, but only got about 60%!!! :/ i never had a teacher though but this year my teachers are very good.
What are the basic things to remember for electricity to help you with the exam?
Reply 16
To decide what neutrino to use you need to consider the rules of lepton and charge conservation.

An anti-lepton have a lepton number of -1 therefore a anti-neutrino has lepton number =-1 and charge 0.

Consider the beta processes,

n---->p+e-+antineutrino

p------>n+e(+)+neutrino

look how lepton number balances in both processes, e(+) is a positron which is a anti-electron which has a lepton number of -1

Hope this helps!
Reply 17
Original post by sechdent8

Matter (made of quarks)

Up quark Q=+(2/3)
down quark Q=-(1/3)

Hadrons: contain quarks (up,down or strange)

a) baryons (three quarks) P, N and sigma particle
Anti-baryons have a BN of -1 and opposite charge
b) mesons (one quark and one anti-quark), pi meson and K meson

Leptons:
Electron (Q=-1)
Muon (Q=-1) The electrons fat cousin
Neutrino (Q=0) for each type of lepton
Anti-leptons have an LN of -1 and have opposite charge if they have charge.

Non-matter (Bosons)
Photons
Gluon
W+
W-

Hope this helps!!
Reply 18
Are there an tricks/tips to remember the quark structure of pi+, K+,pi- etc. That pentagon thing in the aqa nelson thornes book.
Reply 19
Does anyone enjoy the Aqa physics textbook. I find it dull- using cgp instead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending