The Student Room Group

Bristol VS Imperial -- Mechanical Engineering

Imperial seems to be the choice in terms of job prospects and reputation.

Although, I have heard so much bad rumours about the social scene and the quality of girls in there. Like, most people in there have really bad social skills; doesn't know how to have fun; if they're not in the lecture hall, they're in their room studying. These all just sounds too depressing.

Yes, university is meant for studying and getting yourself good job prospects, but I still believe that having good interpersonal skills and being able to make good connection with other people is a very important skill too.

The reputation of Bristol in mechanical engineering is very good too. In fact, it is within the top 10 in most, if not, all, UK mechanical engineering ranking tables. I've heard good things about the social scene there too.

My biggest concerns are job prospects and enjoying my stay in the university.

I'm planning to work in UK anyways, so the more predominant world reputation of Imperial than Bristol doesn't come ito play.

Now, if one person graduated from Imperial with a 1st class degree in MechEng. Then, another person gets a 1st class degree in Bristol too. With all other factors between them equal, would there be a huge difference in their job prospects (employability and salary) in UK (assuming they won't be competing in one specific job)?

Thanks for your time!
(edited 12 years ago)
All other factors are never equal, though. Employers look at far more than the degree these days so what sets you apart from other candidates is not just your academics but the other activities, networking and extra curricular activities you do.

I don't know about other industries but I'm in the oil industry which is probably the best in terms of salary for engineers assuming you want to stay in engineering and it doesn't matter where you study. Your previous experience and how you can demonstrate your ECs will be of benefit to the company/match their required competencies are what matters.

If kids these days spent half as much time actually working on the skills that make them employable, networking and getting experience (summer placements, internships etc.) as they do thinking about the university that their degree is awarded from then they'd probably be very successful when it comes to jobs time.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest