The Student Room Group

Help choose last choice uni

I am currently trying to apply for UCAS and I'm struggling to figure out what my last choice university possibly for firm choice however I have not much idea how low I should go for my firm.
I'm applying for mechanical engineering and I'm predicted AAA but I'm aiming for A*AA.
Does anyone have any good uni recommendations that have good mechanical engieering departments?
Original post by unirainbowlover
I am currently trying to apply for UCAS and I'm struggling to figure out what my last choice university possibly for firm choice however I have not much idea how low I should go for my firm.
I'm applying for mechanical engineering and I'm predicted AAA but I'm aiming for A*AA.
Does anyone have any good uni recommendations that have good mechanical engieering departments?

You don't have to choose all your unis now. You can apply to a few to start, wait for replies and then decide on your other choices by the January deadline. This will give you more time for research and possibly to visit unis on open days.

What are your current choices, and what are you looking for from a university?
Reply 3
Which are you current choices and which A levels are you taking? Are you concerned about having a safer option as a back up/ insurance?
Original post by ajj2000
Which are you current choices and which A levels are you taking? Are you concerned about having a safer option as a back up/ insurance?

I’m thinking Imperial, UCL, Loughborough and Bath so far. I have checked and I’d get contextual offers for most of those unis based on my background. I do think having a safer option is best since the offers still require higher grades.
I’m thinking Imperial, UCL, Loughborough and Bath so far. I have checked and I’d get contextual offers for most of those unis based on my background. I do think having a safer option is best since the offers still require higher grades.

Original post by ajj2000

I am also studying maths, physics and economics I do have an AS in Spanish but I know most universities don’t care much about AS
Original post by Smack
What are your current choices, and what are you looking for from a university?

Imperial - design engineering
Bath -mech eng
Loughborough - mech eng
UCL- mech eng
I honestly don’t have many requirements I do want it to be to be a good engineering department, maybe it being no so far from London(exception to Loughborough) but I don’t mind.
Reply 7
Bath -mech eng
Loughborough - mech eng
UCL- mech eng
I honestly don’t have many requirements I do want it to be to be a good engineering department, maybe it being no so far from London(exception to Loughborough) but I don’t mind.

Bristol has a high rated engineering department. If you are eligible for a contextual offer it is AAB
Reply 8
Not sure about design engineering at Imperial but I'd be a bit cautious about the chance of an offer at Bristol and Bath without further maths. I'm not sure to what extent being contextual affects this.

I'd have a serious look at Southampton to see if that might suit, and also Nottingham. Loughborough is a great choice. Also check Surrey and see if you can get feedback from current students about the course.
Reply 9
Look at mid-range out-of-London Unis like Sheffield, Liverpool, Sussex, Swansea etc.

Hey,
Sheffield has a great engineering department, it is a huge department which means you get more module choice and can tailor the degree a bit more to what you are interested in. The engineering facilities are very impressive (I am a medical student so I don't use them, but i'm very jealous!) but my friends who study mechanical engineering always talk about how great it is. There are also great affiliate links with engineering companies. We have a chat platform where you can talk to current students on the course, so it may be helpful to ask them about their experience on the course. This is the website: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat
Other universities also have these so you can talk to students at different universities and it can help you decide!
Good luck with your application and decision making!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
what they said ^

Another route to consider is picking a niche or variant of a course - mainstream subjects like Mech Eng are over subscribed and can feel a bit sausage machine like, what is it about Mech Eng that you like?

Places like Southampton do a huge variety of "Mech Eng +" courses, still demanding grades but might be less competition, so slightly more generous on results day

You mention Design Eng at Imperial, Another option, esp for insurance could be to focus more on design if that is your interest, what about Product Design?
Original post by KDawn
Bristol has a high rated engineering department. If you are eligible for a contextual offer it is AAB

No - Bath is FAR better and given Bristol's recent probelms with accommodation I would not recommned it at all.
Bath -mech eng
Loughborough - mech eng
UCL- mech eng

I would avoid Imperial for that course - look at newer unis with a year in industry. A back-up course could be Brookes which has an amazing Formula Student team [the most successful in the uk].

Quick Reply

Latest