The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In2deep
Rose-tinted glasses? I'm not pessimistic or defeatists nor I'm a blind either. They could have been 2 or 3 up in the first half at the Emirates, yes they didn't destroy us like they did in 09/10 at the Emirates but they still had the huge majority of the ball, played a huge majority of the game in our half and I remember them screwing up a decent few chances.

The tactic we played was to contain Barca for 70 minutes playing counter-attacking football and wait for them to tire, I don't think it is a coincidence we scored our goals in the 78th and 83rd minute, even Wenger said so.

Lets not even get started at what happened at Camp Nou. Watch the 90minute game again like I've done, you'll change your opinion.

All I'm saying here is that the attitude of saying "Thank God we didn't go through the last round, we would have had to play Barcelona" is wrong. I'm not saying we're better than Barca or that we would have a particularly large chance of beating them. But there would be a chance. Even with the loss of quality in the midfield. We were very close to doing it last season, even though we were outplayed overall. Were we raped over the course of the two legs? No, because the score was 4-3. No one goal margin victory is a raping, to say otherwise would be absurd. We were raped at the San Siro this season. We were raped at the Nou Camp two seasons ago. But last season the tie was a lot closer than that, evidenced by the event that with 5 minutes left to go we had a massive chance to actually win it.

I'm not somebody who wears rose-tinted glasses. I like to think I'm a rational optimist. You tell me Arsenal are playing Barcelona, I say there is a small chance to win and that is a lot better than no chance at all which is what we have now, 'cos we're no longer in the competition. We lose the first tie to Milan 4-0, and I say there's a chance to still qualify, even when 99% of fans essentially wrote us off. We showed in the second leg that there was a real chance. So yes we were outplayed overall in the tie against Barcelona but that's no reason to say we'd have absolutely 0 chance if we came up against them this season. It's simply not true.

Anything can happen in football. APOEL can get to the quarter finals. Schalke can beat the holders and get to the semis. These are average teams. When you're talking about Arsenal, we're always going to have a decent chance, no matter what the tie is. That's not overly optimistic or biased, that's a statement of fact.

is he trolling :lol:
im happy we aren't in the champions league because we ca focus on maintaing 4th spot, this is usually the time when we lose points and i think we don't need distractions since 3-5th place is so close. Also seeing fabregas playing against us would be too weird, it too soon.

However, if we were in the competition facing barcalona it would be great to see fabregas backheel the ball to RVP and score the winning goal to send us to the semi finals.
:biggrin:
Original post by Billa Bong

is he trolling :lol:

What a joker :rofl2:
Can anyone provide a link to the Bendnter miss. I can't remember how bad it was!
Reply 6905
Hopefully Fabrice Muamba will be ok, I wish him a speedy recovery.
Reply 6906
Original post by milkytea
All I'm saying here is that the attitude of saying "Thank God we didn't go through the last round, we would have had to play Barcelona" is wrong. I'm not saying we're better than Barca or that we would have a particularly large chance of beating them. But there would be a chance. Even with the loss of quality in the midfield. We were very close to doing it last season, even though we were outplayed overall. Were we raped over the course of the two legs? No, because the score was 4-3. No one goal margin victory is a raping, to say otherwise would be absurd. We were raped at the San Siro this season. We were raped at the Nou Camp two seasons ago. But last season the tie was a lot closer than that, evidenced by the event that with 5 minutes left to go we had a massive chance to actually win it.

I'm not somebody who wears rose-tinted glasses. I like to think I'm a rational optimist. You tell me Arsenal are playing Barcelona, I say there is a small chance to win and that is a lot better than no chance at all which is what we have now, 'cos we're no longer in the competition. We lose the first tie to Milan 4-0, and I say there's a chance to still qualify, even when 99% of fans essentially wrote us off. We showed in the second leg that there was a real chance. So yes we were outplayed overall in the tie against Barcelona but that's no reason to say we'd have absolutely 0 chance if we came up against them this season. It's simply not true.

Anything can happen in football. APOEL can get to the quarter finals. Schalke can beat the holders and get to the semis. These are average teams. When you're talking about Arsenal, we're always going to have a decent chance, no matter what the tie is. That's not overly optimistic or biased, that's a statement of fact.

Barcelona made you look like a pub team. That was with a much stronger squad, if you played them again this year you would have been humiliated.
Get well soon Fabrice!
They'd be 4th
Reply 6909
totally agree with people saying we'd be in a similar position, this arsenal team has a bit of a stronger work ethic than it did last season as it seems at times arsenal felt it could rely on fabregas to play that amazing through ball. as much as I enjoyed the years that fabregas was an arsenal player, I feel the team will be better without him in the long run, as after all, it was just a matter of time til he left and his desire to go to barca destroyed his potential transfer value for the club (fair enough it was where his family, friends and history was).

Personally I much prefer to see a hard working arsenal lose or draw rather than a lazy but much talent arsenal squander a winnable game.
Original post by magicnmedicine
i'm not sure its risk averse, it also comes down to making a realistic assessment of what success would have been achieved if they held onto the players till their contracts ran out and they left on a free.

For instance samir nasri went for £22m, in a year's time he would have been a free agent. Keeping nasri for a year would have been a write off of £22m as he could have demanded wages as a free agent that only clubs like city or anzhi could have afforded. Would that extra year of nasri had won arsenal the premiership...? No, they would have been 3rd/4th similar to now.

Fabregas was on contract till 2014 and arsenal could have played hardball with him. I expect because barca had been chasing him every year and fabregas had kept his head down without making a fuss, that arsenal felt they owed him a chance and did him a favour by allowing him to leave. The noises coming out of arsenal were all "it was his boyhood club and his grandfather was on the committee" etc. If this was man united no way would ferguson have said that, he would have been affronted that anybody regarded another club as preferable to man united for whatever reasons, and would have taken the view that if you sign a long term contract you only leave if the manager decides. Fergie played hardball with ronaldo for a year but the next year when real put £80m on the table he said fair enough we'll have that.

Other times when arsenal have sold players its been because they have been able to get overinflated prices for them - £25m for adebayor, £16m for toure, £11.8m for hleb, £10m for bentley. I would have shipped on all those players for that money as they were all a little overrated apart from adebayor when in form is a terrific player, but he is unreliable. I would also have put nasri in that category, £22m for a player with one year to go of a contract is good money for a player who is talented but is no way in the league of a pires or giggs.

The other player that i suppose you could say arsenal could have played hardball with is ashley cole but he is a disruptive character, i think had cole been at united and that business with chelsea kicked off, fergie would have made the decision and moved him on, he would not have wanted a personality like that in the united dressing room.

But i think wenger made a good positive statement by signing oxlade-chamberlain for £12m, when you think the fabregas & nasri money more than covered ox, arteta, mertesacker, gervinho and santos i think that was an alright decision, if i was playing football manager i would have done that trade. It's not as though arsenal were champions and selling players from a champion side, the team needed some rebuilding.

pics or didnt happen.
Reply 6911
Arsenal have a tendency to sell players for way below their market value e.g. Fabregas.

It's strange because Arsenal are one of the most corporate clubs in existence. Locals priced out in place of daytrippers from the home counties. What a sham. Do they even have any players from London? North London?
Reply 6912

Really hope he gets better. Here's an article containing a statement on him by David Court (Arsenal's assistant head of youth development):

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fusion
Arsenal have a tendency to sell players for way below their market value e.g. Fabregas.

It's strange because Arsenal are one of the most corporate clubs in existence. Locals priced out in place of daytrippers from the home counties. What a sham. Do they even have any players from London? North London?

I don´t think they sold him below market value, they allegedly received 34€ million with the possibility of another 5€ million in bonuses, with one(?) year left on his contract. That is a lot of money especially for a midfielder.
Reply 6914
Vertonghen:

The 24-year-old Belgian has impressed for Ajax this season and become the subject of increased transfer speculation, but he has highlighted his preferred destination.

“Arsenal are a magnificent club and I hear a lot of good things about English *football. If a club of *Arsenal’s calibre can reach an agreement with Ajax, then I will gladly go over.

“I have instructed my agent carefully.

“He knows which clubs I want to join, and Arsenal are one of them.”

Vertonghen added: “I haven’t signed anything with them yet.

“But I went to watch them against Milan, together with my Ajax team-mate Siem de Jong, after [Thomas] Vermaelen invited us."

:excited:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6915
Original post by gunit123
Vertonghen:

:excited:

If those quotes are true, then that's encouraging. But where would he play?
DM alongside Song? Because I can't see the Ajax captain being content with being a squad/utility player and I also can't see him displacing Verm or Kos out of the CB spot.
The problem is that you're going to struggle to fit 3 CBs into the side at their peak unless you play with 3 at the back.

Ideally you want 3rd choice to either be older so happy to be rotated or young so just happy to get game time.
Reply 6917
Reserves 3-0 win over WBA, if anyone's interested.

Original post by J.Star
If those quotes are true, then that's encouraging. But where would he play?
DM alongside Song? Because I can't see the Ajax captain being content with being a squad/utility player and I also can't see him displacing Verm or Kos out of the CB spot.

Left back possibly? Or move Vermaelen to LB and play Vertonghen as a CB like they do for the Belgian team?

He's a good player that can play several positions, has significant experience with Vermaelen, and wants to join Arsenal; He'll be put to good use I'm sure.
Original post by nosaer
Reserves 3-0 win over WBA, if anyone's interested.

Thanks for this. It will keep me entertained for a bit in a boring non-Arsenal weekend.

Latest