The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
any news on getting hazard this month? or is it just a fantasy now? :frown:
Original post by vn2009
any news on getting hazard this month? or is it just a fantasy now? :frown:

its always been a fantasy;

just like goetze, podolski, cahill, reus.... none of these will ever happen.
I guess every team knows how to beat us just pressure a player into making a challenge anf get gim sent off then the game is practically theirs.
Just watched the second yellow for Djourou, was too soft, he grabbed Zamora's shoulder, for sure, but he never pulled back on it.
Original post by Numan786
I guess every team knows how to beat us just pressure a player into making a challenge anf get gim sent off then the game is practically theirs.
That could be said of any team. Its the defenders fault, the same reason Rafael get sent off for United, makes a silly challenge and gets a yellow from then on, the winger or striker knows he can't put a football wrong and is going to run at him and pressure him the rest of the game.

Didn't see the game but from MOTD, the red card was fair. First takle from behind was a straight yellow, then he was warned for another foul off the ball, then pulls back Zamora as he gets away. Referee was right to give a second yellow. As for AW's comments, complaining Fulham were trying to get him sent off all game, knowing this, and knowing you only have a 1 goal margin, and knowing how important Djourou is to your team, why did he not sub him?
Original post by Ultimate1
Just watched the second yellow for Djourou, was too soft, he grabbed Zamora's shoulder, for sure, but he never pulled back on it.

If he wasn't pulling him back, what exactly was the purpose of doing it? Fact is he had already been warned for an earlier off the ball foul, so it doesn't have to be a yellow card challenge in itself.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Didn't see the game but from MOTD, the red card was fair. First takle from behind was a straight yellow, then he was warned for another foul off the ball, then pulls back Zamora as he gets away. Referee was right to give a second yellow. As for AW's comments, complaining Fulham were trying to get him sent off all game, knowing this, and knowing you only have a 1 goal margin, and knowing how important Djourou is to your team, why did he not sub him?

I think the real issue there was the fact that there wasn't anyone to bring on, and we saw the problems we had at Man City after the defensive re-shuffle having had to bring Miquel on, so that might have been playing on Wenger's mind.

The bad news is that none of our injury list are expected to return to action any time within the next fortnight so I'd be expecting Wenger to secure a short-term defensive loan very soon.
our players will now get a long rest. there is no point putting any of the starting line up against leeds. our other players are good enough to win.
So with Djourou banned for the next game. How many fit defenders do you guys have now..?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
So with Djourou banned for the next game. How many fit defenders do you guys have now..?

There's still a few around - just means it's going to be a strange (probably Reserve) line-up against Leeds.

My hunch is:

Almunia

Yennaris Mertesacker Squillaci Miquel

Coquelin Rosicky/Eastmond

Benayoun/Rosicky

Arshavin Henry/Park Benayoun/Ryo

Subs: Martinez, Ozyakup, Park/Henry, Chamakh, Ryo/Eastmond, Boateng, Afobe/Hoyte.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by marcusmerehay
I think the real issue there was the fact that there wasn't anyone to bring on, and we saw the problems we had at Man City after the defensive re-shuffle having had to bring Miquel on, so that might have been playing on Wenger's mind.
He did have Miquel and Squillaci (who had to bring on anyway). Its only a short term thing anyway, just lasting out the final 15 mins. SAF plays people out position often for short periods, in the last season we have seen all Evans, Smalling, Jones at RB and CB, Carrick and Evra at CB, Valencia at RB, Giggs at LB. I just think Wenger should have enough faith in Squid and Miquel for them to play for 15mins, its not like he was asking Arshavin to fill in, which tbh, with enough discipline he should be able to if the worse comes to the worst.
He did have Miquel and Squillaci (who had to bring on anyway). Its only a short term thing anyway, just lasting out the final 15 mins. SAF plays people out position often for short periods, in the last season we have seen all Evans, Smalling, Jones at RB and CB, Carrick and Evra at CB, Valencia at RB, Giggs at LB. I just think Wenger should have enough faith in Squid and Miquel for them to play for 15mins, its not like he was asking Arshavin to fill in, which tbh, with enough discipline he should be able to if the worse comes to the worst.

True, although I also think that for 15 minutes he'd expect Djourou to have enough discipline not to get sent off - it was a tad soft IMO, but silly nonetheless.
Reply 1213
There's still a few around - just means it's going to be a strange (probably Reserve) line-up against Leeds.

My hunch is:

Almunia

Benayoun/Rosicky

Subs: Martinez, Ozyakup, Park/Henry, Chamakh, Ryo/Eastmond, Boateng, Afobe/Hoyte.

Where's AOC?

My hunch is:

Almunia

Benayoun/Rosicky

Is Ryo back from injury?
True, although I also think that for 15 minutes he'd expect Djourou to have enough discipline not to get sent off - it was a tad soft IMO, but silly nonetheless.
Yeah normally thats what I would go with, but to them say Fulham were trying to get him sent off, if he knew that why not do something about it. I just he should have been able to identify what the biggest danger was in the game, and at 1-0 with Fulham getting back into the game and clearly applying pressure to a man on a yellow card, he should have taken him off.
AOC will definitely be playing unless Wenger wants to rest for him for the PL(?)
(edited 12 years ago)
If he wasn't pulling him back, what exactly was the purpose of doing it? Fact is he had already been warned for an earlier off the ball foul, so it doesn't have to be a yellow card challenge in itself.

If you see the replay again, Djourou just put his hand on Zamora's shoulder and he went down tumbling. He hadn't pulled back yet. Either Djourou is a brute of a man to make Zamora tumble down like he did, or Zamora was adding a bit of his own theatrics. But like you have mentioned, Djourou probably should have received a yellow for that off the ball challenge, so it evens out.

What should have happened when Djourou was on a yellow, is that Song and Mertesacker should have played in CB position, move Koschielny to RB, bring on Arshavin for Djourou and play Benayoun in a deep midfield position next to Arteta. Although Koschielny is a liability at RB, he probably would have fared miles better than Squillaci :lol:.
Djourou should have gone for the earlier foul.
Original post by Ultimate1
If you see the replay again, Djourou just put his hand on Zamora's shoulder and he went down tumbling. He hadn't pulled back yet. Either Djourou is a brute of a man to make Zamora tumble down like he did, or Zamora was adding a bit of his own theatrics. But like you have mentioned, Djourou probably should have received a yellow for that off the ball challenge, so it evens out.
Well yeah Zamora went down easily, but if you are a defender on a yellow you can't be getting into contact with a striker getting past you going into the box. I'm not saying Djourou pulled him down, but he pulled him back and Zamora has done what a large number of striker in the league do. Its foolish from Djourou, but even more foolish from Wenger.

You have some big games coming up now, Swansea at home and the Liberty is an absolute fortress only 4 goals conceeded, only the Ethiad can match. Then against us, we should have Young back then so could be facing Evra & Young/Nani and Nani&Valencia/Rafael down each flank, and an actual defence.

Latest