The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE English: Obama Speeches

Hi i have an exam coming up :ahhhhh: and need help!!
We have to do an analysis of Barack Obama's three speeches: Minnesota, Iowa and Chicago. If anybody can help me that would be much appreciated... :gthumb:
. What do i need to talk about in this analysis? (All i have been told is to talk about the rhetorical devices used and the effect of them)
. What do i need to write to get full marks / Band 1?
. Has anyone completed this already?
. And if anyone has any ideas of what to say in my introduction and conclusion that would be amazing
Thank You!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Well analysing speeches usually just means finding out what makes them persuasive so things like repetition, tri-colons (or clusters of 3) short sentences blah blah blah

In your introduction just say the tone of the speech, what he was trying to achieve and how his techniques are reflected changing on what he is trying to persuade people to do. For example, a speech trying to get politicians to agree to start a nuclear war would be different than trying to persuade people to vote for him.

Oh and empathy works too. If the speech makes it sound like it'd be good to do what he wants but bad if they disagree helps. So that's why politicians name things like ' no child left behind' because if you disagree you look like a bitch.
Reply 2
Original post by chickenonsteroids

Original post by chickenonsteroids
Well analysing speeches usually just means finding out what makes them persuasive so things like repetition, tri-colons (or clusters of 3) short sentences blah blah blah

In your introduction just say the tone of the speech, what he was trying to achieve and how his techniques are reflected changing on what he is trying to persuade people to do. For example, a speech trying to get politicians to agree to start a nuclear war would be different than trying to persuade people to vote for him.

Oh and empathy works too. If the speech makes it sound like it'd be good to do what he wants but bad if they disagree helps. So that's why politicians name things like ' no child left behind' because if you disagree you look like a bitch.

Thank you very much for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending