The Student Room Group

Indian student shot dead in Manchester

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8978534/Indian-student-shot-dead-in-front-of-friends-in-Manchester.html

I'm sort of scared as hell. I look Indian to most people I don't want to be shot dead.

Hope they catch the person soon. It's sad this is happening.
Reply 1
Don't worry dude, that's his destiny

And he been walking at late night.

So I advice never act like a batman
Reply 2
Original post by hfreaks
Don't worry dude, that's his destiny

And he been walking at late night.

So I advice never act like a batman

??? I take it, you dont think even a single night out is a good idea.. ? :/

anyway back on topic, what areas of manchester are "rougher" and is it a good idea for anyone to stay away from?
Reply 3
Original post by tpxvs
??? I take it, you dont think even a single night out is a good idea.. ? :/

anyway back on topic, what areas of manchester are "rougher" and is it a good idea for anyone to stay away from?

don't worry dude, the location from the universities to the halls Is pretty central. There are the odd scuffles but nothing major, just drunken fights which are dealt with fast.

its the outer city that Is more...troubled. On the whole if you're going to the Manchester Unis - rest assured. You'll be safe as can be :smile:
Original post by Simplicity
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/8978534/Indian-student-shot-dead-in-front-of-friends-in-Manchester.html

I'm sort of scared as hell. I look Indian to most people I don't want to be shot dead.

Hope they catch the person soon. It's sad this is happening.

How can you look indian, but not have any Indian blood?

You are Indian... get yourself strapped and some body armor, also learn some kung fu incase he points the gun at you, you can disarm his ass and smashi his head in with his own gun, then call the cops.
Reply 5
Original post by Doctor.
don't worry dude, the location from the universities to the halls Is pretty central. There are the odd scuffles but nothing major, just drunken fights which are dealt with fast.

its the outer city that Is more...troubled. On the whole if you're going to the Manchester Unis - rest assured. You'll be safe as can be :smile:

aha, i just generally wanted to know what areas are known to be a bit dodgy. As a local, I know where the "scummy" part of my area is - where very 'chavvy' people tend to hang out and shout at abuse for the sake of it, its dodgy to walk home by yourself there.. just an intimidating experience for some, i guess. Even when i have drove past in the day a couple times.. theres empty cans of beer, packs of "smoking kills", pieces of glass lying around etc (luckily i didnt puncture my tyres! haha) So yeah as someone that doesnt know manchester at all - id just like to know where people generally agree its good to stay away from if possible :smile:
I heard Moss Side's pretty dodgy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by tpxvs
aha, i just generally wanted to know what areas are known to be a bit dodgy. As a local, I know where the "scummy" part of my area is - where very 'chavvy' people tend to hang out and shout at abuse for the sake of it, its dodgy to walk home by yourself there.. just an intimidating experience for some, i guess. Even when i have drove past in the day a couple times.. theres empty cans of beer, packs of "smoking kills", pieces of glass lying around etc (luckily i didnt puncture my tyres! haha) So yeah as someone that doesnt know manchester at all - id just like to know where people generally agree its good to stay away from if possible :smile:

The areas around the university are pretty safe, and although I wouldn't recommend a late night solitary walk around Moss Side, I have been there in broad daylight and survived. Whilst it's not a great area, a lot of its reputation is a hangover from the 1980s, when setting foot there was a seriously bad idea. On the route between town / uni / halls (Oxford / Wilmslow Road), it's pretty safe.

The student who got shot was in an area, late at night, where students don't really have any reason to be (he wasn't at a Manchester University, he was at Lancaster, and I think he was staying at a hotel in Salford Quays). I've been down that road (Ordsall Lane, Salford) once, and it is fairly dodgy looking all the way down . . . until you get to a stately home, called Ordsall Hall (it's very incongruous!)

The way to keep yourself safe in Manchester is very simple - don't be an idiot. Don't walk home alone at night, make sure any taxi you get is licenced etc. Anuj Bidve was just seriously unlucky, and I have never heard of anything like that happening, before or since. The person who did it has been caught as well.
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets

The student who got shot was in an area, late at night, where students don't really have any reason to be (he wasn't at a Manchester University, he was at Lancaster, and I think he was staying at a hotel in Salford Quays). I've been down that road (Ordsall Lane, Salford) once, and it is fairly dodgy looking all the way down . . . until you get to a stately home, called Ordsall Hall (it's very incongruous!)

Aye, there are parts of Salford that I'd consider far more unsavoury than Moss Side. Heck, having lived on both ends of the city, there are parts of North Manchester that are more unsavoury than Moss Side, but as a student you'd have very little reason to go to such places.

Most studenty areas (e.g. Fallowfield) are quite safe. Just maintain some common sense. The case of Anuj was extremely unfortunate however. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending