The Student Room Group

Choosing between Manchester and Newcastle Uni for dentistry

I've got 2 unconditional offers for dentistry at both Manchester and Newcastle Uni (I'm on a gap year) but I'm having a really hard time choosing between the two. On one hand I'd love to see a new city like Newcastle but I feel like it's a bit of a dead place and as an extroverted person I want to meet loads of different people at Uni. On the other hand Manchester is way more lively but I'm concerned about the Uni stats on NSS where it said that the student satisfaction rate last year was 39% (compared to 96% at Newcastle) - thats pretty worrying seeing as I'll be learning there for 5 years of my life. Can anyone please help??? I have to give my decision in by this WEDNESDAY 24TH MAY !!!!
Reply 1
Original post by french.learner
I've got 2 unconditional offers for dentistry at both Manchester and Newcastle Uni (I'm on a gap year) but I'm having a really hard time choosing between the two. On one hand I'd love to see a new city like Newcastle but I feel like it's a bit of a dead place and as an extroverted person I want to meet loads of different people at Uni. On the other hand Manchester is way more lively but I'm concerned about the Uni stats on NSS where it said that the student satisfaction rate last year was 39% (compared to 96% at Newcastle) - thats pretty worrying seeing as I'll be learning there for 5 years of my life. Can anyone please help??? I have to give my decision in by this WEDNESDAY 24TH MAY !!!!

Personally, I would choose Newcastle. I'm not sure what you mean by "dead" but I thought Newcastle was a decent place, has a really good nightlife and overall it's a great uni + city, the vibes I got from the students and the uni town-ish was really good in my opinion. I remember during the open days the students there were so helpful and seemed a lot happier with the environment. Manchester was a bit more meh in my opinion, and I think that the 39% is a pretty decent indicator of how it actually is there :P Honestly I kinda regret not applying to Newcastle myself otherwise it would probs be my first choice lol

In other words, can you give me some advice on choosing between dentistry at QUB or dentistry at glasgow? I feel like both are pretty decent places, QUB overall has really nice people (in general) and the city seems really chill, Glasgow in my opinion was pretty nice, met some really nice students but overall the city just seemed a little bit less happy? If that makes sense? The concern is Belfast is pretty far away, (despite them both being pretty far), and Glasgow has a bit of a better international reputation... Any advice?
Reply 2
Quick question, how did you get 2 unconditional offers for dentistry considering its the most competitive year, what did you get in your UCAT? predicted grades? im asking as i am a reapplicant for dentistry and would love any advice..

On to your question, as it seems like your main concern is how lively the area you gonna stay at, both cities are well known for partying, restaurants and a great economy.

Considering its 36 percent student satisfaction in Manchester, is it a different course, if not, email the uni and about the satisfaction rate, why? and ask aNewcastle uni, compare responses.

also ask your career advisor in school perhaps he has came across past students who undertaken such course.

Good luck and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Raheem
Reply 3
Original post by Raheem_w
Quick question, how did you get 2 unconditional offers for dentistry considering its the most competitive year, what did you get in your UCAT? predicted grades? im asking as i am a reapplicant for dentistry and would love any advice..

On to your question, as it seems like your main concern is how lively the area you gonna stay at, both cities are well known for partying, restaurants and a great economy.

Considering its 36 percent student satisfaction in Manchester, is it a different course, if not, email the uni and about the satisfaction rate, why? and ask aNewcastle uni, compare responses.

also ask your career advisor in school perhaps he has came across past students who undertaken such course.

Good luck and any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ra

Original post by Ionomer
Personally, I would choose Newcastle. I'm not sure what you mean by "dead" but I thought Newcastle was a decent place, has a really good nightlife and overall it's a great uni + city, the vibes I got from the students and the uni town-ish was really good in my opinion. I remember during the open days the students there were so helpful and seemed a lot happier with the environment. Manchester was a bit more meh in my opinion, and I think that the 39% is a pretty decent indicator of how it actually is there :P Honestly I kinda regret not applying to Newcastle myself otherwise it would probs be my first choice lol

In other words, can you give me some advice on choosing between dentistry at QUB or dentistry at glasgow? I feel like both are pretty decent places, QUB overall has really nice people (in general) and the city seems really chill, Glasgow in my opinion was pretty nice, met some really nice students but overall the city just seemed a little bit less happy? If that makes sense? The concern is Belfast is pretty far away, (despite them both being pretty far), and Glasgow has a bit of a better international reputation... Any advice?

I think I might go to Newcastle tbh, that 39% is scaring me way too much !! Yeah I get you about the night life but maybe I've been speaking to people who are less likely to enjoy that aspect of uni so I'm getting a biased view - hopefully im making the right decision

Dentistry at glasgow has always stood out to me as being top of the uni rankings for dentistry, its very much renowned for being a top dental school - apart from that I don't know much about it ??Between the 2 I would definitely say Glasgow, much easier to get there, potentially a better school, more things to do there than in Belfast, for me the choice would be simple. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by french.learner
I think I might go to Newcastle tbh, that 39% is scaring me way too much !! Yeah I get you about the night life but maybe I've been speaking to people who are less likely to enjoy that aspect of uni so I'm getting a biased view - hopefully im making the right decision

Dentistry at glasgow has always stood out to me as being top of the uni rankings for dentistry, its very much renowned for being a top dental school - apart from that I don't know much about it ??Between the 2 I would definitely say Glasgow, much easier to get there, potentially a better school, more things to do there than in Belfast, for me the choice would be simple. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest