The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Not having the right grades

I am currently taking a gap year and want to go to mmu but i don't have the required grades to enter the university and was wondering if it would be worth a shot to apply and i can't do a foundation year as there was problems and student finance have let me know that they will not cover my 4th year. If anyone has experienced this please let me know
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently taking a gap year and want to go to mmu but i don't have the required grades to enter the university and was wondering if it would be worth a shot to apply and i can't do a foundation year as there was problems and student finance have let me know that they will not cover my 4th year. If anyone has experienced this please let me know

For what course would you be applying? How far off the required grades are you?

From what you've mentioned about student finance, I assume you've already started an undergraduate degree previously, but didn't get beyond the first year. Is that right?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Yes that is right i want to study economics and got a B in my a levels but i got 96 UCAS point and need 112 to go to the school

Original post by DataVenia
For what course would you be applying? How far off the required grades are you?

From what you've mentioned about student finance, I assume you've already started an undergraduate degree previously, but didn't get beyond the first year. Is that right?
Yes that is right i want to study economics and got a B in my a levels but i got 96 UCAS point and need 112 to go to the school

OK. Is sounds like you did other qualifications in addition to the "B in my a levels", but I'm going to convert those points to A level grades just because I find them easier to work with. You say you need 112 UCAS points; that's BBC at A level. You have 96 UCAS points; that's CCC at A level. Not a million miles away.

According to the Manchester Evening News (source) Economics was in Clearing at MMU this year. That means that they didn't fill the course with applicants via the main UCAS scheme; universities often lower their grade requirements during Clearing as they try to fill each course.

In your original post you said you were "wondering if it would be worth a shot to apply". I say it is, yes. Even if you don't get an offer (and I hope that you do), you may well manage to get a place during Clearing next August. :crossedf:
Reply 4
Thank you so much

Original post by DataVenia
OK. Is sounds like you did other qualifications in addition to the "B in my a levels", but I'm going to convert those points to A level grades just because I find them easier to work with. You say you need 112 UCAS points; that's BBC at A level. You have 96 UCAS points; that's CCC at A level. Not a million miles away.

According to the Manchester Evening News (source) Economics was in Clearing at MMU this year. That means that they didn't fill the course with applicants via the main UCAS scheme; universities often lower their grade requirements during Clearing as they try to fill each course.

In your original post you said you were "wondering if it would be worth a shot to apply". I say it is, yes. Even if you don't get an offer (and I hope that you do), you may well manage to get a place during Clearing next August. :crossedf:

Hi there
getting in touch to the uni through ringing or emailling will help answer any questions with grades! They would you decide if you should have a go at applying or not!
I promise they are very friendly and are brill at answering any questions :smile:

Best wishes
Emily

Thank you so much
I’d suggest researching backups as well just incase

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending