The Student Room Group

IOT Kit List

Scroll to see replies

“Wonderweb” = material that you heat onto cut fabric (e.g. hem or bottom of trousers) to stop it fraying! Incidentally, for any of the boys (or girls!) who can’t sew name badges or buttons, best you learn before you start IOT (likewise ironing trousers/skirts without getting them shiny, etc, etc).

[Beaten to it whilest waiting for account to activate!]

A loooong time since I was once of the dreaded flt cdrs at DIOT (yes, that dates me), but the items below might be worth considering. It’s all very well saying that there is a shop but you need to have the time to get to it, & they need to have your wanted item in stock!!

Tinfoil to put in/on mess tins, makes them easier to clean in the field!

Iron/ironing board absolutely essential, never enough around & it means you can do your ironing when YOU want.

Spray starch for uniform shirts keep those creases better than the DS!

Spare boots well, if you can get & break in a spare pair, then I would recommend it just keep them hidden in your outside wardrobe the car!!

Sorbothane (spelling?) insoles for boots.

Gortex socks.

When together as a flight, work together, instead of all 10 (if that is the number these days!) of you carrying large bottle of talcum powder, why not just take 2 3 & share them around? Do the same for other essential kit if possible.

Pre-talcum spare socks & pre-pack them in the type of sandwich bag with the “sealable” top squeeze out all the air, takes up less space. Useful bags for other kit too.

Small/medium Swiss army knife, with blade, scissors, nail file, all the useful goodies.

Fablon/clear sticky-back plastic to water-proof essential notes.

Got an old IOT list (no, not on parchment!), but having recently moved house, it's hidden somewhere.......

Best of luck to all those off to Cranditz!!
Thanks REME-Bod and Gemma for the lists
See you there, in July!
Reply 22
Mike Jenvey
When together as a flight, work together, instead of all 10 (if that is the number these days!) of you carrying large bottle of talcum powder, why not just take 2 – 3 & share them around? Do the same for other essential kit if possible.

30 in a flight now - as of November '05
Seems like i will have to buy a lot of stuff before going to IOT.
Can anyone recommend any online shops or highstreet shops to buy some of the kit from?

Thanks
ebay of course, it's wear I got most of my stuff from for my DETAPO course, all the stuff I've had to buy have been mentioned on this pages. Look around on ebay for bargains.

Don't you RAF types need Nyrexs?
Looking through the list again! Day off today!
Can anyone tell me what Ron Hills do you have to buy?
Are they for running in or are they for wearing underneath your combats, to keep your legs warm?
If for only the later purpose do they have to be Ron Hills? Or is it that we must all be the same?
Do they RAF have shares in Ron Hill?

Cheers again :smile:
That's a LOT of talcum powder!!! Delete all ideas of sharing stuff then!
Reply 27
GemmaLS
Flip flops For use in communal showers.

Just read this bit and realised - are the shower cubicles in No.1 block nice and un-see through? I'm fine with the mixed showers but I don't want a load of blokes seeing me with nothing on!
Reply 28
GemmaLS
Just read this bit and realised - are the shower cubicles in No.1 block nice and un-see through? I'm fine with the mixed showers but I don't want a load of blokes seeing me with nothing on!

Perish the thought!:wink:
Reply 29
Should've realised I wasn't going to get a serious answer for this question :rolleyes:
Reply 30
gooch260669
Looking through the list again! Day off today!
Can anyone tell me what Ron Hills do you have to buy?
Are they for running in or are they for wearing underneath your combats, to keep your legs warm?
If for only the later purpose do they have to be Ron Hills? Or is it that we must all be the same?
Do they RAF have shares in Ron Hill?

Cheers again :smile:

Keep yer legs warm!?! You'll be wanting to know if your hot water bottle has to be DPM n ext.

Moving them a little faster will keep them warm enough!

Just buy tracksters. Ron Hills or any other brand as long as they are dark in colour so can go running in the cold without looking like a total day-glo gimp. (If you wanna wear them under your combats then I'd recommend a fetching pink colour, with satin gusset).
Reply 31
GemmaLS

Made up 3 sections of 10, each headed up by a Flt Sgt.
Reply 32
REME-Bod
Made up 3 sections of 10, each headed up by a Flt Sgt.

Cheers, so I'm guessing you'll get a section leader and deputy then?
Reply 33
GemmaLS
Cheers, so I'm guessing you'll get a section leader and deputy then?

Seems a reasonable assumption
REME-Bod
Keep yer legs warm!?! You'll be wanting to know if your hot water bottle has to be DPM n ext.

Moving them a little faster will keep them warm enough!

Just buy tracksters. Ron Hills or any other brand as long as they are dark in colour so can go running in the cold without looking like a total day-glo gimp. (If you wanna wear them under your combats then I'd recommend a fetching pink colour, with satin gusset).

Then they'll match my nice sequin top!

Thanks Reme-Bod got the gist of what the're for :smile:
Reply 35
Gah, I'm so jelous now - anyone want to smuggle me in to Feb IOT? I'll pay.....
Reply 36
So I've bought the cheeper half of my kit now - and it's cost over £150! the second half could turn out to be way more!!! Not a happy bunny.
Reply 37
What cost you GR4?? im getting worried about spending a fortune now, but it has to be done!
Reply 38
It's frustrating, you start a job to earn money. However you've got to shell out hundreds of pounds before you start! People just coming out of college/uni won't have it.

It would be great if the RAF were to give you a loan for kit which comes out of the first few months pay. Then if you drop out, you have so many days to pay it back.
Reply 39
I've been working since May 2004 and still don't have any money - that loan sounds like a great idea, if I get in in July I will have to ask the folks to help me out me thinks! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest