The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Hi all :smile: ......... i am a post grad from india :smile: ..... got cratcliffe accommodation :smile: ..... anybody from cratcliffe ? is there any group for cratcliffe acc ? If anybody knows anyone from cratlciffe or any cratcliffe group, please do reply :smile: ......though i m startin to think a group might not have been started yet !!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 581
Original post by blondie :)
Once you get your results (assuming you get in), how long is it until you find out your accommodation?
I think I may be tempting fate here :redface:

I got mine the day after results but i know people who got theirs up to a week after :smile: its v quick
Reply 582
Original post by thelawstudent
2.20 for a wash each time and a quid for a dry sounds really expensive :/ is it just me?

Yeah... surely they should make it cheaper to ensure the Uni has students with clothes which smell relatively clean haha
Original post by Bobbler
I got mine the day after results but i know people who got theirs up to a week after :smile: its v quick

assuming i get in on the 16th (touch wood!) as i did A Levels, do i have to do anything with the accom? wait for a letter etc? i applied to endcliffe.. it's just that i'm going on holiday the week after results day :/
Original post by muse_of_fire
Do you know anything about the English Literature course? It's just that it looks like I'll probably end up at Sheffield (I'm waiting for a reply from Cambridge atm, but I don't have much faith in receiving an offer) and I'm not entirely sure whether, academically, it's the place for me: I'm pretty sure that it is in regards to the rest of uni life. It would be interesting to know the views of anyone you know who's studying it, as I don't want to firm a course that's poorly taught or anything like that :/ (Basically, I want insider information!)

By the way, this is a really useful thread - thank you! I'll have to think up some more questions to ask :smile:

...Why did you apply for it if you had doubts as to whether or not it was up to your standards?
Surely you should have done your research beforehand?
Reply 585
assuming i get in on the 16th (touch wood!) as i did A Levels, do i have to do anything with the accom? wait for a letter etc? i applied to endcliffe.. it's just that i'm going on holiday the week after results day :/

Its all done online :smile: you get an email with a link to your contract which says where you're living, then you accept the offer of accommodation and pay £150 deposit and like a £6 communities fee online as well. You get pre-registration emails as well as the posted out "Welcome to Sheffield" and "How to Register" booklets, and about a week after you'll get a letter from your dept, the students union and your depts society. With the dept letter you might get choice forms depending on whether you can choose modules, or again that might just be done online! Hope this helps!!
Original post by Bobbler
Its all done online :smile: you get an email with a link to your contract which says where you're living, then you accept the offer of accommodation and pay £150 deposit and like a £6 communities fee online as well. You get pre-registration emails as well as the posted out "Welcome to Sheffield" and "How to Register" booklets, and about a week after you'll get a letter from your dept, the students union and your depts society. With the dept letter you might get choice forms depending on whether you can choose modules, or again that might just be done online! Hope this helps!!

okay thanks! just that i'm worried that if i don't respond to letters specifically (as i'll be going on holiday up to the 10th of sept) i'll suddenly miss out on something and even lose my place!?!?! :redface:
Reply 587
okay thanks! just that i'm worried that if i don't respond to letters specifically (as i'll be going on holiday up to the 10th of sept) i'll suddenly miss out on something and even lose my place!?!?! :redface:

you won't lose your place, you've earned it! If you're really concerned, just ring up your department and the accommodation offices & explain, because its what they're there for!
Original post by Bobbler
you won't lose your place, you've earned it! If you're really concerned, just ring up your department and the accommodation offices & explain, because its what they're there for!

i should've thought of that cheers!
Currently writing the mammoth List-of-things-to-bring-to-uni. Will I need to bring a kettle and a toaster? It's not clear on the uni website whether the flats come with these or not. :smile:
Reply 590
Original post by okthefolkie
Currently writing the mammoth List-of-things-to-bring-to-uni. Will I need to bring a kettle and a toaster? It's not clear on the uni website whether the flats come with these or not. :smile:

No you don't! All self catered flats have kettles and toasters! Our flat had a really bad toaster though so someone brought a spare one after Christmas, but you can do the normal thing and just get them replaced if it's really not working :P
Hey there, was thinking of applying to Mathematics at Sheffield for 2013. Can anyone provide any insight into the standard of teaching, or the general standard of the course?

A pretty long shot, but are any of you members of the ski union? One of the reasons I was thinking of applying to Sheffield is the excellent ski facilities they have in the city, and the frequent ski trips the union runs.
Original post by Bobbler
No you don't! All self catered flats have kettles and toasters! Our flat had a really bad toaster though so someone brought a spare one after Christmas, but you can do the normal thing and just get them replaced if it's really not working :P

Awesome, thank you. :smile: I may well bring a kettle for my room, for those early morning cups of tea, and late night cups of coffee!
Reply 593
Awesome, thank you. :smile: I may well bring a kettle for my room, for those early morning cups of tea, and late night cups of coffee!

Yeah I had one for hot water bottles :colondollar:
Original post by Bobbler
Yeah I had one for hot water bottles :colondollar:

An excellent use!

Is it worth bringing your own iron?
Reply 595
An excellent use!

I don't think so. There is already one there and normally it's not very busy.
Reply 596
An excellent use!

personally, I wouldn't have needed one. Only one person in our flat used an iron all year and it wasn't me! Its just sort of something that falls by the wayside, and if you hang up your clothes within half an hour after you've put them in the dryer they'll not be creased anyway (student tips :wink: ). Or even after you've washedthem just hang them up to dry rather than on a clothes horse if it's prone to crease!

Honestly, you stop noticing how many people at uni have slightly creased clothes, its almost expected haha
Thing is, as a Music student, I'll need concert dress and smart clothes for concerts and things, so an iron is a must! Sounds like there won't be a rush for it though. :smile:
Reply 598
Hey I was just wondering if Sheffield university updates it's ucas track before results are out? I've got an offer for Biomedical science at Sheffield and would rather find out at home if I got in rather than a crowded school (:
Reply 599
Thing is, as a Music student, I'll need concert dress and smart clothes for concerts and things, so an iron is a must! Sounds like there won't be a rush for it though. :smile:

You definitely won't be overrun by people wanting the iron, unless you have some ironing fiends :P

Original post by sydney07
Hey I was just wondering if Sheffield university updates it's ucas track before results are out? I've got an offer for Biomedical science at Sheffield and would rather find out at home if I got in rather than a crowded school (:

If you check Track at 6am it should be updated by then :smile: they've probably already updated it but UCAS don't release details of the update until tomorrow! I got up at 6am and they'd done it then, and apparently UCAS are emailing people anyway this year? I'm sure you'll be fine! My boyfriend did BMS at Sheffield btw, and he absolutely loved all 3 years; and their society is brilliant :wink:

SO MUCH GOOD LUCK BTW PEOPLE.

Latest

Trending

Trending