Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by pretzl.logic
Thanks Ill look into that :smile:

Thanks! Might sneak it then :P

And also, they said, if we are going to bring rice cookers from our home country, for exammple, say from india/china, then we will have to get that cooker PAT (Portable appliance) tested as well with the the university services. So if at all you are planning on getting a rice cooker, i would advise you to get one from Sheffield itself. There is a rice cooker available in www.click2campus.com under "desirable items", and if u order it, it will be delivered straight to your room.

Where are you from btw ? :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 741
Original post by Bobbler
They don't give a crap. I streamed stuff all year & nothing happened :P I watched live TV without a licence as well. Rebel :wink:

hey, since you were talking abt downloading stuff, i wanted to ask, ..... i am from India, and i have downloaded lots of stuff in India from torrents (Mostly old movies made like 1 or 2 decades ago!). So if i bring those to the UK in my laptop, will they do some mandatory check of my laptop or something ? Just wanted to make sure.

And also, how will the streaming speed be in the endcliffe village, since a huge number of students will be using the bandwidth right ? will it be in MBps or down to KBps on an average during weekdays and weekends ? :smile:
Reply 742
Original post by pradeep
hey, since you were talking abt downloading stuff, i wanted to ask, ..... i am from India, and i have downloaded lots of stuff in India from torrents (Mostly old movies made like 1 or 2 decades ago!). So if i bring those to the UK in my laptop, will they do some mandatory check of my laptop or something ? Just wanted to make sure.

And also, how will the streaming speed be in the endcliffe village, since a huge number of students will be using the bandwidth right ? will it be in MBps or down to KBps on an average during weekdays and weekends ? :smile:

They shouldn't do checks on your laptop no? And they won't care if you have movies on your laptop anyway!

I have no idea about MBps or KBps, but I know that I wanted to watch the Truman Show & Family Guy & there was no buffering, & it downloaded super quick. I don't pretend to be v good at internet things, but Endcliffe internet was pretty good :P
Reply 743
Hi everyone,
i'm an erasmus student from France and i would like to share a flat in Sheffield during one year.
I'll arrive in Sheffield in 2 weeks and I would like to know wich papers or documents are necessary to rent a flat in Sheffield.
Thank you
See u soon !!
Original post by pradeep
And also, they said, if we are going to bring rice cookers from our home country, for exammple, say from india/china, then we will have to get that cooker PAT (Portable appliance) tested as well with the the university services. So if at all you are planning on getting a rice cooker, i would advise you to get one from Sheffield itself. There is a rice cooker available in www.click2campus.com under "desirable items", and if u order it, it will be delivered straight to your room.

Where are you from btw ? :smile:

Ah I see that's not a problem cause I have an 'english' rice cooker already. Thanks though.
I'm from England, but I'm also half Japanese, hence my desperate need for a rice cooker hha.
Reply 745
Original post by Pompom28
Hi everyone,
i'm an erasmus student from France and i would like to share a flat in Sheffield during one year.
I'll arrive in Sheffield in 2 weeks and I would like to know wich papers or documents are necessary to rent a flat in Sheffield.
Thank you
See u soon !!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=576
You should post your in the accommodation classified ads (see link), not on this forum.
You will get a better response there. :smile:

I am unsure personally, but you would be best asking the university.
Reply 746
Ah I see that's not a problem cause I have an 'english' rice cooker already. Thanks though.
I'm from England, but I'm also half Japanese, hence my desperate need for a rice cooker hha.

Are rice cookers quicker to cook rice? Swear I spent half of my life in the kitchen in halls watching my rice/pasta cook and making sure it didn't stick to the bottom of the pan. :frown:
Reply 747

haha :biggrin: cool ...... oooh, ur roommates a probably gna get to enjoy some hot steaming rice with sushi i suppose eh ? :biggrin:
Reply 748
Original post by lizolove
Are rice cookers quicker to cook rice? Swear I spent half of my life in the kitchen in halls watching my rice/pasta cook and making sure it didn't stick to the bottom of the pan. :frown:

Yeah they are :smile: ...... in more conventional types like pressure cookers, u just add 4 cups of plain water to a single cup of grains in a cylindrical bowl and keep it in the cooker. Close the lid, and after ard 20-25 minutes, voila .... steamed rice ready :smile: ...... in the UK i m pretty sure, only automatic cookers are sold, these take a little longer than pressure cookers, but they do it quicker than cooking rice in a pan i suppose :smile:
Reply 749
Original post by Bobbler
They shouldn't do checks on your laptop no? And they won't care if you have movies on your laptop anyway!

I have no idea about MBps or KBps, but I know that I wanted to watch the Truman Show & Family Guy & there was no buffering, & it downloaded super quick. I don't pretend to be v good at internet things, but Endcliffe internet was pretty good :P

Cool :smile: i asked coz, i just thought maybe sometime, all my flatmates can get together and watch movies (got a pretty big-ass laptop with sound blaster just for the movie experience :P !)..... perhaps even something like a movie marathon .... though i dunno how the officers will take to that ! ....... Streaming from netflix is fine ? :smile: any other similar places that u would suggest for streaming movies and the univ ppl not having any problems with whatsoever :smile: ?
Reply 750
Original post by pradeep
Cool :smile: i asked coz, i just thought maybe sometime, all my flatmates can get together and watch movies (got a pretty big-ass laptop with sound blaster just for the movie experience :P !)..... perhaps even something like a movie marathon .... though i dunno how the officers will take to that ! ....... Streaming from netflix is fine ? :smile: any other similar places that u would suggest for streaming movies and the univ ppl not having any problems with whatsoever :smile: ?

I just google 'watch.... online' & you're usually alright. I'm not joking when I say once you're moved in, no one gives a crap what you do as long as you don't set the place on fire. You will not get told off for much :P
Original post by lizolove

Yeah it definitely is, and they cook the rice so much better, especially the japanese ones. Whats more you can just turn it on a leave it 'til its done. :smile:

Original post by pradeep
haha :biggrin: cool ...... oooh, ur roommates a probably gna get to enjoy some hot steaming rice with sushi i suppose eh ? :biggrin:

Hhaa we'll see about that!
Reply 752
Yeah it definitely is, and they cook the rice so much better, especially the japanese ones. Whats more you can just turn it on a leave it 'til its done. :smile:

Hhaa we'll see about that!

Opal allows rice cookers though. My senior used it in his room. You are staying in univ acc right ? which one ? m in cratcliffe :smile:
Reply 753
Original post by Bobbler
I just google 'watch.... online' & you're usually alright. I'm not joking when I say once you're moved in, no one gives a crap what you do as long as you don't set the place on fire. You will not get told off for much :P

saw this in another thread..... it seems from sept this year, all rooms in endcliffe will have wifi access ...... is this lyk an official declaration from ACS or its just a rumour doing its rounds ? :smile:

has any1 else heard of this ?
Original post by pradeep
saw this in another thread..... it seems from sept this year, all rooms in endcliffe will have wifi access ...... is this lyk an official declaration from ACS or its just a rumour doing its rounds ? :smile:

has any1 else heard of this ?

CiCS mentioned it on their twitter account, so it's an official declaration.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hello, maybe you know a solution for my problem? I have a house which I will rent with my friends from September 30th but I have to come to Sheffield on the 15th. That means I need accommodation for two weeks. Could anyone point me to the right direction to find temporary housing? I am in real need...
Reply 756
Original post by Valentas
Hello, maybe you know a solution for my problem? I have a house which I will rent with my friends from September 30th but I have to come to Sheffield on the 15th. That means I need accommodation for two weeks. Could anyone point me to the right direction to find temporary housing? I am in real need...

Hey, I'd try and contact the University Accommodation Services (via shef.ac.uk or their Facebook page) and see what they suggest. This would probably be your best bet.

Good luck!

Reply 757
Original post by Valentas

How come you have to come to Sheffield that early?

There is always the IC :smile:
Reply 758
Original post by ChilleLiu
How come you have to come to Sheffield that early?

There is always the IC :smile:

Term starts on the 23rd so we all have to be there for then? And freshers is another good reason...

As a girl do I need to bring a formal dress or anything like that, something a bit posher than the standard going out dress?

Latest

Trending

Trending