The Student Room Group

My family as psychos.

I want this to be anonymous so i'm posting it here.

My family - particularly my older sister and my father have extreme anger issues. I'm the smaller than my younger sister and am constantly picked on...i've suffer from depression, social anxiety, panick attacks and anorexia as a result of the stressful 20 years I've spent amongst these people.

This christmas my sisters started (a fairly common habit) of up picking on my annorexia in front of non-family members at the dinner table and bringing it to everyones attention- it was spiteful comments, making me feel guilty every time i ate something and trying to force me to eat things - it was sick, they know im ill. In private i asked my mum to talk to them about it because it has a serious effect on my progress and they ignored my approaches to make them stop - i was in a complete state at the time having panick attacks and my dad burst in and started swearing at me being extremely verbally abusive and then stormed out.

I took an early flight home. The same night my family got back I went out with my boyfriend and he walked me home to my door. We were standing outside the house and my sister looked out the kitchen window and came out the front and was rude and nasty to me and my boyfriend who ended up feeling extremely uncomfortable and leaving. When i came through the door i told her to not ever do that again and she went ballistic, being verbally abusive and telling me to leave the house and move out etc. I was angry and told her she was acting like a mental person and then she threatened me with violence and braced herself to attack me whilst my younger sister and parents were shouting abuse at me.

I went to my room to panick attack and called my boyfriend, he came back with his car, packed my things and took me away. My family meanwhile shut me out of the rest of the house apart from the porch and I have heard nothing since.

What on earth do i do? I im too scared to contact them or to go back because it is violent and abusive and it has caused so much damage to me....i tried googling but i couldnt find anything, is there someone i can contact to help me support myself? I'm a uni student and have bills to pay but i only get a tiny loan because my dad earns alot and i'm so scared, i dont want to drop out and be homeless...i want to become a doctor but i have no way of supporting myself...and im scared my family will come after me and force me to go back...i dont know what to do...
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

My family - particularly my older sister and my father have extreme anger issues. I'm the smaller than my younger sister and am constantly picked on...i've suffer from depression, social anxiety, panick attacks and anorexia as a result of the stressful 20 years I've spent amongst these people.

This christmas my sisters started (a fairly common habit) of up picking on my annorexia in front of non-family members at the dinner table and bringing it to everyones attention- it was spiteful comments, making me feel guilty every time i ate something and trying to force me to eat things - it was sick, they know im ill. In private i asked my mum to talk to them about it because it has a serious effect on my progress and they ignored my approaches to make them stop - i was in a complete state at the time having panick attacks and my dad burst in and started swearing at me being extremely verbally abusive and then stormed out.

I took an early flight home. The same night my family got back I went out with my boyfriend and he walked me home to my door. We were standing outside the house and my sister looked out the kitchen window and came out the front and was rude and nasty to me and my boyfriend who ended up feeling extremely uncomfortable and leaving. When i came through the door i told her to not ever do that again and she went ballistic, being verbally abusive and telling me to leave the house and move out etc. I was angry and told her she was acting like a mental person and then she threatened me with violence and braced herself to attack me whilst my younger sister and parents were shouting abuse at me.

I went to my room to panick attack and called my boyfriend, he came back with his car, packed my things and took me away. My family meanwhile shut me out of the rest of the house apart from the porch and I have heard nothing since.

What on earth do i do? I im too scared to contact them or to go back because it is violent and abusive and it has caused so much damage to me....i tried googling but i couldnt find anything, is there someone i can contact to help me support myself? I'm a uni student and have bills to pay but i only get a tiny loan because my dad earns alot and i'm so scared, i dont want to drop out and be homeless...i want to become a doctor but i have no way of supporting myself...and im scared my family will come after me and force me to go back...i dont know what to do...

Mmm.

You need to not be there. It's obviously taken a toll on your physical and mental health. You simply can't live in a house if you are feeling threatened, and are being threatened regardless.

Don't be scared, if you don't want to go back alone, then don't, take your boyfriend or friends to pick up the rest of your things. BUT if you are scared to go back because you want to stay there then I don't know what to suggest to be honest, it doesnt sound like a healthy or safe environment for anyone.

In regards to your uni situation, and getting a small loan, you can declare yourself separate from your parents, I'm not 100% sure how to do this, but I'm sure if you email student finance, or call them they can explain to you how. And once you are declared to not be living with your parents/ having them support you you become entitled to the full loan amount.
If you want the rest of your things you can contact a police officer to come with you when you do it. I'd speak to someone at your uni about finance as you may be entitled to several forms of grant such as the Access to Learning Fund http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171615 You can apply for this if you've been made homeless or if you've experienced unexpected financial difficulty
You could also get a Disabled Students' Allowance if you have an ongoing health condition (including mental) http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898

If you're doing a medical course can get a bursary http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171537

The uni can also arrange for you to see a counsellor to help you.

If you don't want to see your family again you could get an injunction against them or a solicitor's letter ordering them not to contact you or they'll face legal action. You can also contact your local social services or police to talk to them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Sounds terrible OP. Who needs enemies when your slag of a sister treats you like this....I wanna knock the little slag out from reading this. You've hit the nail on the head....many of your problems are for sure down to the way you've been treated in your life-one thing (maybe sounds a bit far-fetched) do not repeat this behaviour when you become a mother.

Not sure what you can do financially (no longer a student), but above poster has some good advice. Feel free to PM me.
Reply 4
I agree with the person above. It's not on. Who cares that they are family, they shouldn't get away with that. These people are wrecking your life. Contact professionals for help.
This is awful. I don't see how you can reason with people like that. I know they're you're family but i think you're probably safer away from them and try do what someone said above, declare yourself as separate from your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending