The Student Room Group
Reply 1
jamierwilliams
Pros/Cons?
Likes/Dislikes?

One of the oldest colleges - hence pretty, nice, old buildings in the centre of town. However, I thik they have a lot of new accomodation away from there, I think they're in the process of building a big new block next to their sports ground. Nothing particularly against the place. Academically in the top half, football team traditionally in the top third of colleges - though obviously not as good as Worcester's.....
Reply 2
davey_boy...

do you reckon that there is any work experience I can do with the intentions of studying Modern History and Modern Languages at Oxford? I will probably go into law afterwards so working in a solicitors firm would be useful but is there anything for these subjects?
Reply 3
why did you change from law?
jamierwilliams
davey_boy...

do you reckon that there is any work experience I can do with the intentions of studying Modern History and Modern Languages at Oxford? I will probably go into law afterwards so working in a solicitors firm would be useful but is there anything for these subjects?

Go and work with children abroad and read loads of books, if you start now you'll know lots.
Reply 5
i went to a law-firm yesterday to meet lots and lots of city lawyers and all of the said to do a non-law degree and then do a conversion course because the law degree is supposed to be extremely boring (from a few sources: may be wrong) so i think that history and mod. langs. would be very attractive for prospective firms.
Reply 6
jamierwilliams
i went to a law-firm yesterday to meet lots and lots of city lawyers and all of the said to do a non-law degree and then do a conversion course because the law degree is supposed to be extremely boring (from a few sources: may be wrong) so i think that history and mod. langs. would be very attractive for prospective firms.

ok... i'm doing law anyway, then i'm going to be a barrister...
Reply 7
kool....good luck...hope ou become a barrister....how do yu find the law course, where are you?
Reply 8
jamierwilliams
davey_boy...

To be honest I really don't know that much about the arts side of things - the advice given above, work with kids, read lots sounds good. I know quite a few people who went through the law course at Oxford, with mixed feelings - one said it was tedious and wished he had done economics (but to be fair he's now working as a tax accountant) everyone else I know enjoyed it. I also know 1 person who did a conversion course after doing, I think, history. He has no regrets. One thing to remember is that if you choose the conversion course route then the final year will be quite expensive unless you can get a city firm to back you.

The easiest way to get into any university to do a degree is to demonstrate a level of enthusiasm for the subject you've chosen - if you're thinking of doing history because it has a relatively low no. of applicants per place you'll get smelt out - if you're doing it because you genuinely believe you'll enjoy the course and want to do it, then all you have to do is show some aptitude and demonstrate your passion for the subject. Easy.
Reply 9
jamierwilliams

That may be your rationale but it isn't one that will convince many history or modern language tutors to give you one of the very few places in that joint school. They will expect more inherent interest in the subjects and you will have a strong chance of losing out to those who are more committed to careers more closely related to those disciplines. Make sure you don't underestimate the quality of other applicants. I'd check the New College application stats for history and modern languages - you may find they make you rethink a bit.
Reply 10
jamierwilliams
Pros/Cons?
Likes/Dislikes?

I know somebody that started at New College this year. He seems to like it, no real complaints. It's big and pretty and well-located. It's got good housing, I think - the rooms are more consistent whereas at some colleges, you can get a nice room or a horrible one. They have a nice bar, it's underground. They have a big artificial hill that makes a squeaking noise if you clap your hands. The chapel has a famous reputation for music.

Latest

Trending

Trending