The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

To be eligble for the All Souls Examination Fellowship do you have to have a degree from Oxford? This guy doesn't http://www.asc.ox.ac.uk/people.php?personid=2201
Original post by 391iady
To be eligble for the All Souls Examination Fellowship do you have to have a degree from Oxford? This guy doesn't http://www.asc.ox.ac.uk/people.php?personid=2201

No, they look for people with 'equivalent standards' to those who have a First at Oxford and who are considered to meet the (high) standards of academic excellence and the sort of questioning, original mind that they look for. I don't think it's a very large percentage who didn't graduate at Oxford though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
No, they look for people with 'equivalent standards' to those who have a First at Oxford and who are considered to meet the (high) standards of academic excellence and the sort of questioning, original mind that they look for. I don't think it's a very large percentage who didn't graduate at Oxford though.

Thanks for your assistance.
Original post by Lucilou101
Hey!

How are you? :biggrin:
Decided what to do in regards to September? Exeter? Reapplying?

I'm thinking of reapplying :smile:
I'm fine, just came back from a relief operation for the victims of typhoon Haiyan in my country :smile:

You firm Oxford yet? :smile: happy Easter, by the way. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EcstaZEEH
I'm thinking of reapplying :smile:
I'm fine, just came back from a relief operation for the victims of typhoon Haiyan in my country :smile:

You firm Oxford yet? :smile: happy Easter, by the way. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh! Human sciences again or something else?
That sounds like a very rewarding and interesting thing to do! I've been doing much more boring things aha

I have firmed it yes , and happy Easter to you too :smile:
Original post by captaindyson
I would not say any specific personality is needed, some of the colleges have certain stereotypes, but they are exactly that ... Stereotypes,

I don't quite agree. There is some substance to some stereotypes you hear. I went to one of the Colleges famed for being 'social' for my undergrad and I found that if you interpret 'social' as meaning 'full of clicks based on what kind of school you went to/how rich you are and love going clubbing lots' then it was very accurate. Increasingly I have heard people referring to said College attracting a lot of dickheads which I would say correlates with my experience and is a better description than 'social'.

Naturally not everyone fits in with the stereotype, but even a relatively small minority of such people can ruin an atmosphere.

Original post by captaindyson
most are very welcoming and friendly whatever your background or opinions, but saying that be open to new ideas, it is not just academic things you learn at uni. And clearly you have to studious as well, partying every night will get you nowhere :-P

Wouldn't agree with the background bit really. The tutors are mostly good on that front but jesus some of the students are awful. Ask a Tory at Wadham if they feel welcomed :wink:

As for studious, depends on the subject. Biologists and historians seemed to do nothing at all. I don't recall my Classicist flat mates doing anything except for the term before their mods. They wonder why they all struggled to get jobs... :rolleyes:

Anyway my post isn't a criticism of your response really, just a convenient conduit for relaying my experiences so please don't be too offended thinking I'm unfairly targeting you or anything!
Ooh! Human sciences again or something else?
That sounds like a very rewarding and interesting thing to do! I've been doing much more boring things aha

I have firmed it yes , and happy Easter to you too :smile:

I might apply for Human Sciences again. It was, but I'm behind with my school work due to talking a month off :|

How's school work anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might apply for Human Sciences again. It was, but I'm behind with my school work due to talking a month off :|

How's school work anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see :smile:

School work is okay, as boring as usual! I've not done most of my Easter work and we go back tomorrow ...
Original post by jenkinsear
I don't quite agree. There is some substance to some stereotypes you hear. I went to one of the Colleges famed for being 'social' for my undergrad and I found that if you interpret 'social' as meaning 'full of clicks based on what kind of school you went to/how rich you are and love going clubbing lots' then it was very accurate. Increasingly I have heard people referring to said College attracting a lot of dickheads which I would say correlates with my experience and is a better description than 'social'.

Naturally not everyone fits in with the stereotype, but even a relatively small minority of such people can ruin an atmosphere.

Wouldn't agree with the background bit really. The tutors are mostly good on that front but jesus some of the students are awful. Ask a Tory at Wadham if they feel welcomed :wink:

As for studious, depends on the subject. Biologists and historians seemed to do nothing at all. I don't recall my Classicist flat mates doing anything except for the term before their mods. They wonder why they all struggled to get jobs... :rolleyes:

Anyway my post isn't a criticism of your response really, just a convenient conduit for relaying my experiences so please don't be too offended thinking I'm unfairly targeting you or anything!

I take it you're hesitant to reveal the exact college you were at, but what exactly do you mean when you say "a college known for being social"? A 'party college', a heavily left-leaning college, an overfunded college, all/none of the above? I'm curious.
I see :smile:

School work is okay, as boring as usual! I've not done most of my Easter work and we go back tomorrow ...

Welcome to the club then :biggrin: I haven't even touched my school stuff. Haha :smile:

You go back today??? Really?...I actually miss going to classes now..

You're going to Univ right? I'm thinking of applying for Medicine now..but I'm scared since it's mooore competitive than HumSci...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to the club then :biggrin: I haven't even touched my school stuff. Haha :smile:

You go back today??? Really?...I actually miss going to classes now..

You're going to Univ right? I'm thinking of applying for Medicine now..but I'm scared since it's mooore competitive than HumSci...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup first lesson back is at 1 :smile:

Yeah Univ :smile:
Ooh that's interesting, medicine is incredibly competitive! I can't remember your grades but you'd need 90% A*s at least at GCSE, with a great BMAT and As in two sciences subjects minimum at AS to make a competitive application!

My friend has 12A*s at GCSE, did well at BMAT and has amazing A Level grades but didn't get a place - it's incredibly competitive but if it's what you want to do you have to go for it :smile:
Can I get into Oxford with averageish GCSE results?
Yup first lesson back is at 1 :smile:

Yeah Univ :smile:
Ooh that's interesting, medicine is incredibly competitive! I can't remember your grades but you'd need 90% A*s at least at GCSE, with a great BMAT and As in two sciences subjects minimum at AS to make a competitive application!

My friend has 12A*s at GCSE, did well at BMAT and has amazing A Level grades but didn't get a place - it's incredibly competitive but if it's what you want to do you have to go for it :smile:

Hahaha, I have below average A level grades...my gosh, really? Was he interviewed though?

You back already? :|

I just felt that HS's sociological and anthro side is quite platitudinous...

I'm torn between Human Sciences, Biological Science / Biomedical Science or Medicine (ambitious) haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup first lesson back is at 1

Yeah Univ

My friend has 12A*s at GCSE, did well at BMAT and has amazing A Level grades but didn't get a place - it's incredibly competitive but if it's what you want to do you have to go for it

Meh, not really... I only had 85% GCSE's and a fairly average BMAT score (4.9,6.5,3.5A), but as long as you do well enough to make it to interview it's a level playing field from there.

EcstaZEEH
x

Presume you've got some work experience and volunteering lined up?
Hahaha, I have below average A level grades...my gosh, really? Was he interviewed though?

You back already? :|

I just felt that HS's sociological and anthro side is quite platitudinous...

I'm torn between Human Sciences, Biological Science / Biomedical Science or Medicine (ambitious) haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh she got an interview - I almost feel she was too perfect though, she's not really a friend more of an acquaintance...

Just take a look and consider them all - you've got plenty of time to decide :smile:
Original post by MrSupernova
Meh, not really... I only had 85% GCSE's and a fairly average BMAT score (4.9,6.5,3.5A), but as long as you do well enough to make it to interview it's a level playing field from there.

Here's the official stats -
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

With 85% your chances are lowered so you obviously were just amazing at interview :wink:
Yeh she got an interview - I almost feel she was too perfect though, she's not really a friend more of an acquaintance...

Just take a look and consider them all - you've got plenty of time to decide :smile:

Oh my...I need to decide anyway :smile:

I haven't decided which college I will apply for :| Univ? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova

Hi! So I assume that you got in? :smile:
If so, I need advice please. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Here's the official stats -
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/a100statistics

With 85% your chances are lowered so you obviously were just amazing at interview :wink:

Only chances of getting shortlisted; it's only interview performance and, to a smaller extent, BMAT score after that. I think it's more correlation than causation that people with lower percentages of A*s are less likely to do well at interview. Mine was probably balanced out by my school not being particularly great and my high number of A*s (12) anyway tbh. They interviewed more than 5 people for every 2 places so I'd probably have had to be pretty good at interview anyway :wink:

Hi! So I assume that you got in? :smile:
If so, I need advice please. :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I got an offer from Univ. Still need to get the grades though... And firm it as well actually, even though I'm 90% sure I wanna go Oxford I'm waiting until the deadline in case I have a last minute change of heart :colondollar: What do you want to know? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending