The Student Room Group

Egyptology at Oxford

Hello! I need some help because I'm panicking slightly-- I've finished my personal statement applying for undergrad Egyptology but I'm now concerned that I haven't mentioned enough about language. I've talked about the Book of Going Forth by Day but that's about it on that front; otherwise, I've talked about religion and some archaeology. Would it put me at a disadvantage to not have talked much about language if I want to study Egyptology at Oxford? Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by shpwrckdsailor
Hello! I need some help because I'm panicking slightly-- I've finished my personal statement applying for undergrad Egyptology but I'm now concerned that I haven't mentioned enough about language. I've talked about the Book of Going Forth by Day but that's about it on that front; otherwise, I've talked about religion and some archaeology. Would it put me at a disadvantage to not have talked much about language if I want to study Egyptology at Oxford? Thank you

Hi there, Egyptology graduate here, who got an interview at Oxford but didn't get in. So, I would say that you should talk about language to at least some extent, because Egyptology is a way more language heavy cause at Oxford than anywhere else. However, they will understand that you have limited space. I do think you should try to talk about language a little more if you can. At Oxford in particular, over half of the course is language based.

How have you covered the Book of Going Forth by Day? Have you mentioned wanting to study hieroglyphs at all?

Let me know if you have any more questions. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sandtrooper
Hi there, Egyptology graduate here, who got an interview at Oxford but didn't get in. So, I would say that you should talk about language to at least some extent, because Egyptology is a way more language heavy cause at Oxford than anywhere else. However, they will understand that you have limited space. I do think you should try to talk about language a little more if you can. At Oxford in particular, over half of the course is language based.

How have you covered the Book of Going Forth by Day? Have you mentioned wanting to study hieroglyphs at all?

Let me know if you have any more questions. :smile:

Hi, I want to apply to Classics and Oriental Studies, but I don't know exactly how much should I read of the subject(Oriental Studies). If it wasn't already clear, I'd like to go down the Egyptology route, I already watched lots of documentaries and took notes, should I read some books specifically about hieroglyphs(introductory of course)? Which other advices you have for me?
Original post by trumanblack00702
Hi, I want to apply to Classics and Oriental Studies, but I don't know exactly how much should I read of the subject(Oriental Studies). If it wasn't already clear, I'd like to go down the Egyptology route, I already watched lots of documentaries and took notes, should I read some books specifically about hieroglyphs(introductory of course)? Which other advices you have for me?

Hi there, I would say that what you have done sounds like a good amount. However, I definitely recommend reading some academic texts if you can. I'd recommend going through Collier and Manley's How To Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs, as that will cover the basic grammar that you'll need for any Egyptology degree. I personally spoke about this book, and a few others, as well as some work experience I'd done in an archive, although you don't need work experience to apply. Perhaps consider watching some online lectures or even doing a hieroglyphs course, e.g. from the EES, or BSS. If you're looking at other degrees, consider Liverpool and Swansea, and maybe even Birmingham, Edinburgh, and UCL. Let me know if you have any questions. :smile:
Original post by shpwrckdsailor
Hello, may I ask what else you included in your personal statement? I am hoping to apply to Oxford to read Egyptology this September...
Original post by antonialouisee
Hello, may I ask what else you included in your personal statement? I am hoping to apply to Oxford to read Egyptology this September...

Hi there! Feel free to drop me a DM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending