The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wantobeathebar
Can I ask what the other three are? (In the hope that I have that one covered).

No, but ask again in the interview!
Reply 3141
this long wait to 2nd of august is starting to take its toll on my sanity :mad:
Exactly 14 days to go!
Original post by Pupilmaster
No, but ask again in the interview!

Oo but then I will destroy my thread anonymity ;-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3144
I was having a look at the posts from 'results day' on the 2011 thread earlier (slow day at work) and it made me feel slightly queasy. I was out of the game by this point last year, not looking forward to the 2nd at all!
Original post by TakeTwo
I was having a look at the posts from 'results day' on the 2011 thread earlier (slow day at work) and it made me feel slightly queasy. I was out of the game by this point last year, not looking forward to the 2nd at all!

The worst thing I found about it was that once it got to the day, the two chambers I was waiting on left rejecting people until about 3pm, then one sent an email and one just updated PP without an email. I don't think that's necessarily common, as at a couple of the second rounds I've had this year they've expressly said that they'll contact all the second round-ers as soon after 9am on 2nd as possible, whether the news is good or bad (even though as the day goes on you gradually lose hope anyway!).

I remember thinking that it would be fine once it was the 2nd Aug, but then the waiting on the day seemed even worse. Now I feel queasy thinking about it too...
Reply 3146
Original post by TakeTwo

I don't see why Chambers are reluctant to reject people post second rounds before August 2nd. As someone said above, the point of the rule is to ensure that offer-holders have enough time to consider. There is no reason why rejections can't be sent out.

Personally, as someone who is expecting a number of rejections on 2/8, it would be good to be put out of my misery now!
Reply 3147
Original post by andymt
I don't see why Chambers are reluctant to reject people post second rounds before August 2nd. As someone said above, the point of the rule is to ensure that offer-holders have enough time to consider. There is no reason why rejections can't be sent out.

Personally, as someone who is expecting a number of rejections on 2/8, it would be good to be put out of my misery now!

I suspect it's not intentional- I suspect it's just whenever the assigned admin staff gets the chance to do it all.
Reply 3148
On a completely different note - 5SAH are now offering 3 pupillages, as one is being funded by BPP law school to 'aid the junior end of the bar'.. A move in the right direction?!
Original post by TakeTwo
On a completely different note - 5SAH are now offering 3 pupillages, as one is being funded by BPP law school to 'aid the junior end of the bar'.. A move in the right direction?!

Maybe - and only in certain areas of law.
St Ive's final round interviews out.
Original post by andymt

The 2nd is a tough, tough day. Despite being at work that day, I can't say it made the tension any easier. In the event you manage to get any sleep the night before, you wake up the next day and check olpas about 10 times before you are even out the door...5 times on the way to the train station...twenty five times on the train...etc. When news starts coming out about other chambers it only makes things more tense. A testing time to say the least.

When (and I really hope for all of you it is WHEN) you get that calll...or even those call(s) its a relief that cannot be described.

What I would say is this though. To be in the running on the 2nd August is likely to show that you are doing something right and that you do have a decent chance. So don't ever lose sight of that - both in the run up to the 2nd and beyond.
Reply 3152
Original post by GreenMatt

Well Done!
Reply 3153
Original post by GreenMatt

Congrats! Was it by phone again? (i.e. staggered)
Yes, it was by phone.
Original post by andymt

I fully agree. At least one of the chambers I interviewed at this year thought that they weren't allowed to reject before the 2nd Aug - I wish the BSB, or whoever is in charge of these things, would make it clear that rejections can be communicated at any time! Like you say, would be nice to be out of the misery.
Reply 3156
Original post by andymt
I don't see why Chambers are reluctant to reject people post second rounds before August 2nd.

Firstly, it is because of forums such as this one. Rejections would become public knowledge, and those not rejected would infer (rightly or wrongly) that they do have an offer. Which of course they shouldn't know until 2nd August.

Secondly, reserve lists. Many sets interview so few in the final round that everyone without an offer is potentially a reservist. There may not actually be any rejects until places have been accepted.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone heard either way regarding 2nd rounds at criminal defence solicitors?
Original post by radiant
Firstly, it is because of forums such as this one. Rejections would become public knowledge, and those not rejected would infer (rightly or wrongly) that they do have an offer. Which of course they shouldn't know until 2nd August.

Secondly, reserve lists. Many sets interview so few in the final round that everyone without an offer is potentially a reservist. There may not actually be any rejects until places have been accepted.

There is nothing wrong with people inferring that they might get a pupillage offer, the rule is not there to keep people in the dark but to stop Chambers getting in early and stealing the best candidates. You could never be certain anyway because of the need to keep people in reserve.

Even keeping a sensible number in reserve there are bound to be some applicants that Chambers can be sure are rejections. Not that I actually mind being kept waiting, I'm looking forward to my first year still being in on the 2nd...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3159
Anyone who had a 2nd round interview at Oriel Chambers in Liverpool on Tuesday have the sense to ask them when we will find out if we got it (I didnt ask!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending