The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenMatt
Haven't heard either way from 42 Bedford Row, either. Probably not a good sign!

GreenMatt

R u yet to hear from 42 BR? I have still not heard anything
Original post by beastfromtheeast
I was rejected after a second round there last year. All I can say is, both for first and second round, they massively staggered their invitations to interview. I think there was only one person phoning round inviting people, and I remember hearing someone being told they had an interview several weeks before me. I had completely written off my chances but then I got the phone call too. So don't lose heart; at this stage I would say you cannot tell whether you have been invited or not.

Thank you beastfromtheeast (I love your name btw). This has given me some heart!
interview invites for KBW (Leeds) out on portal and email
Reply 1323
KBW Leeds - Still under consideration, silent rejection I wonder?
Original post by priscilla28
Hi all,

i've got a second rejection from fountain court, i soooo wanna die, im depressed, gutted, frustrated.

As for other 9, still under consideratn but for essex court and 11kbw it says application still under consideratn but also says decision made on the 24th, what is that meant to mean? i'm in tears at mo, im so damn of an idiot

Hi there,

I agree completely with what has already been said above. I would add one thing only, and that is to give you my advice about selecting chambers.

You will not disagree that it helps if the chambers you apply to are fairly similar. Here I do not mean similar merely in terms of practice areas, but similar in personality. If your selected chambers have similar personalities, your application can have a similar thread, which makes writing your application simpler. You can form a more consistent thread and present yourself by way of a more consistent personality.

Dougherty Street, Garden Court, Tooks, 1 Pump etc... correct me if I'm wrong people, but these are left wing chambers which tend to represent the little man. Look at their tenants' histories as a starting point. 11KBW, on the other hand, do not tend to represent the little man. And Essex and Fountain are 'magic circle' commercial powerhouses that, in my opinion, are totally different to your other choices.

I will defer to the expertise of others, and this is something you will need to consider for yourself, but the result may be that your application doesn't have a common thread that appeals to all of these chambers as you've had to cater for different tastes.

Bottom line advice is this: think carefully about the personality of a place when you add it to the list. Does it sit well with your other choices? If not, is there a valid reason for it being on the list?

Neg away if you disapprove.
Reply 1325
Original post by Stejoe

One final question - what on earth is the written exercise about? Will being pre-BPTC adversely affect my performance in your opinion?

I interviewed at Lamb Building last year. According to the lady on the telephone, they shortlisted thirty candidates for interview from four hundred applications. I'm not sure how those numbers compare with this year.

I was told by Bernie in my feedback session post-interview (which, by the way, was incredibly detailed and useful; he is a very nice guy), that the written exercise is used to choose between the top ten performers at interview. Ours was quite factual and didn't require a huge amount of legal knowledge. You also have the entire afternoon to work your way through it in between interviews.

Best of luck.
Original post by Debatable
Has anyone else heard from 9 Gough Square in terms of rejection? At the risk of sounding a bit whiney, I am a bit peeved that I haven't got an interview there - I worked for months on the application, had several people read through it and had two very good references (or so I have been told!) where am I going wrong??

It has been a few years since I have been called but I have been racking up the advocacy/legal experience in the sort of work they do - do you think experience counts against you with some sets?

I received an interview confirmation from 9 Gough Square last week.
Original post by chimera_5452
I received an interview confirmation from 9 Gough Square last week.

Thanks for chimera_5452. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a staggered approach to interviews...just out of interest, did you send in your application well before the deadline?
Reply 1328
Original post by LEM20
I interviewed at Lamb Building last year. According to the lady on the telephone, they shortlisted thirty candidates for interview from four hundred applications. I'm not sure how those numbers compare with this year.

I was told by Bernie in my feedback session post-interview (which, by the way, was incredibly detailed and useful; he is a very nice guy), that the written exercise is used to choose between the top ten performers at interview. Ours was quite factual and didn't require a huge amount of legal knowledge. You also have the entire afternoon to work your way through it in between interviews.

Best of luck.

Thank you very much indeed - it does come as a relief that it is factual as opposed to legal, which would make sense considering they are interviewing people at different stages of studies. Also good to know that it is not timed, and therefore there is ample time (relatively speaking of course) to consider your answer.

This Bernie fellow sounds great from everyone's feedback - I look forward to meeting him!

Best of luck on you applications also! (provided you haven't already overcome this pupillage obstacle!) :smile:
Thanks for chimera_5452. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a staggered approach to interviews...just out of interest, did you send in your application well before the deadline?

Mine was made midway through the time period, closer to end rather than the beginning.
Original post by derbybar
KBW Leeds - Still under consideration, silent rejection I wonder?

Hoping for staggered invites...
Reply 1331
Original post by InnerTemple
Hoping for staggered invites...

That'd be nice, but I'm whacking it in my "the quality of applications was exceptionally high this year and we regret to inform you that you can go **** yourself" pile.

Gloomy news for a gloomy day, I really liked the look of them.

Nothing a cheeky takeaway pizza won't cure though :biggrin:
2 Bedford Row
9-12 Bell Yard
Argent
QEB Hollis W
23 Essex

Any news for anyone?
No response from 23 Essex street of 9-12 Bell Yard either but there's still a while to go before the deadline for invites.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Massive HEH @ Shearn.

I like your attitude!
Reply 1335
Original post by Kessler`
Massive HEH @ Shearn.

I like your attitude!

The way I see it, this is a job where on any given day one might have to get a 5.30am train to the rain-swept County Court of Godforsakenshire, suffer the abuse of a tyrannical judge who likes to think he's the cat and counsel the mouse, spend the day being patronised by some oxbridge old boy whose voice starts so far back in his throat its almost as if his solicitor is speaking, lose your case, get called a w****r by your client before trudging back to chambers where your clerk makes a mockery of your dreams of independence and control of your practice by dropping a fat brief on your desk that must be ready by 9am, scuppering your plans to wrinkle the bedsheets of the buxom young thing with whom you had a date that evening.

If you can't take a few/lot of hits along the way (where 200+ very good people apply for every position and your worth is assessed on a snap judgement made by a tired, bored barrister who has had to read the same thing over and over and over) I figure real work would be a struggle.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Has anyone else heard from 9 Gough Square in terms of rejection? At the risk of sounding a bit whiney, I am a bit peeved that I haven't got an interview there - I worked for months on the application, had several people read through it and had two very good references (or so I have been told!) where am I going wrong??

It has been a few years since I have been called but I have been racking up the advocacy/legal experience in the sort of work they do - do you think experience counts against you with some sets?

Where is your degree from? Do you have a scholarship? What legal work experience have you been doing? Who are your referees?
Reply 1337
Original post by Stejoe
Thank you very much indeed - it does come as a relief that it is factual as opposed to legal, which would make sense considering they are interviewing people at different stages of studies. Also good to know that it is not timed, and therefore there is ample time (relatively speaking of course) to consider your answer.

This Bernie fellow sounds great from everyone's feedback - I look forward to meeting him!

Best of luck on you applications also! (provided you haven't already overcome this pupillage obstacle!) :smile:

Have you seen the 2008 documentary called 'Barristers'? (You can find it on Youtube if not). It actually follows one of the aspiring barristers during her pupillage interview at Lamb Building, and features the famous Bernie himself! Check it out.
Reply 1338
Original post by Shearn
The way I see it, this is a job where on any given day one might have to get a 5.30am train to the rain-swept County Court of Godforsakenshire, suffer the abuse of a tyrannical judge who likes to think he's the cat and counsel the mouse, spend the day being patronised by some oxbridge old boy whose voice starts so far back in his throat its almost as if his solicitor is speaking, lose your case, get called a w****r by your client before trudging back to chambers where your clerk makes a mockery of your dreams of independence and control of your practice by dropping a fat brief on your desk that must be ready by 9am, scuppering your plans to wrinkle the bedsheets of the buxom young thing with whom you had a date that evening.

If you can't take a few/lot of hits along the way (where 200+ very good people apply for every position and your worth is assessed on a snap judgement made by a tired, bored barrister who has had to read the same thing over and over and over) I figure real work would be a struggle.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

LOVE this. Legend!
Has anyone interviewed at KBW (Leeds) before? If so are you able to offer any insight on their interview procedure? I know there will be some kind of advocacy exercise to prepare on the day 15 mins in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending