The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxbridge : The Bright Side

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by The Nturtanyr
The main reason I'm getting down from this is mainly my image. I've been numerously embarassed and had blows to my self-esteem by many peopls that claim to be "smarter". I was simply 'one of the smartest' in High School and sub-average amongst the higher than average, and now in Sixth Form they've all gone to more 'prestigious' centers. But now everyone has labelled me as smartest in Sixth Form (which of course, is subjective. I may be getting the best grades in Mathematics so far, but from a general viewpoint I'm rather out of my league to many other folk.)

But I know, comparatively, I'm not special. There were those that back in High School just would not recognise my opinions, and state their superiority, because I BELIEVE in Astrology and Spirituality, I LIKE religion, I am a pacifist, a communist and have strong opinion on the human race's initiative.

And I just can't argue. They'll probably go to Oxbridge, whilst I've been rejected. And it's a simple statement that I can't argue that they aren't superior. I feel completely unable to say anything to stand against any of their points of view.

I liked Cambridge. It looked nice and so did the course, but I did want it to show that my opinions were valid and that no one should think they are better than me...

(Note: Sorry if you take offense, I do not refer to that I am better than everyone, but rather we are all part of a subjective spectrum and that no one is superior to anyone, no matter what; everyone has some quality they excel in. I stand by that principle and I find it distasteful the Atheists who proclaim Christianity as false and vice versa; the scientific minds versus the manual labourers; the millionaires and fat cats running business, thinking they are above the common man.)

How can you be a communist and like religion? I think your just holding opinions to create and image.
I got rejected today from Cambridge and i'm not going to lie, i'm absolutely devastated. I don't know what to do with myself. I know that sounds pathetic but I had my heart set on Cambridge and they've just chewed me up and spat me out with a pathetic letter saying 'unfortunately there was a really high level of competition this year' blaaahh just basically i'm not good enough for them.... but just yehh... this is really rubbish :'(
Reply 182
Ha got rejected from Oxford and trust me I feel great! :tongue: Imperial, that's my jam!! :biggrin:
Original post by Mia_thompson
I got rejected today from Cambridge and i'm not going to lie, i'm absolutely devastated. I don't know what to do with myself. I know that sounds pathetic but I had my heart set on Cambridge and they've just chewed me up and spat me out with a pathetic letter saying 'unfortunately there was a really high level of competition this year' blaaahh just basically i'm not good enough for them.... but just yehh... this is really rubbish :'(

Commiserations. You'll feel better about it in time - it's like a breakup, in a way. Here. :hugs:
Original post by Deep456
I got rejected from Oxford twice. I still don't have a place at university despite a string of As throughout my academia, what do you say to that? It's a lot worse knowing you can't take a gap year or as it stands, you don't have somewhere to go to. I take full responsibility for it and certainly not blaming anyone else.

Just be grateful that you have a place at similarly top universities at all. Don't ever be bitter, not worth the time/effort. At the end of the day, you didn't quite make it, could be down to a number of reasons and we will never truly know why.

No admissions system is flawless, they may have let a gem go and another university may have uncovered that rough diamond. What I am saying is keep your chin up, persistence can break down a lot of barriers. You often need to take one step back to go two steps forward.

How come? If you are a straight A student, surely you must have got an offer from somewhere? Did you apply for medicine maybe?

I applied for Oxford with mediocre predictions (A*AAB), and they completely and utterly wrecked me at interview so I already know I've been rejected.

I knew I didn't really stand a chance, but bowed down to pressure from parents who really wanted me to apply there.
Reply 185
98% UMS, 7A* Predictions, for the Irish Leaving Certificate, not even pooled. Average/bad interview, must have done me out a place I presume. It is pretty annoying with everyone I know attempting to comfort me, they don't have to put up with the feelings of failure and rejection, they don't have to put up with looking at all the people who got offers celebrating, they don't have their career hopes pretty much shattered, their confidence is not laying in ruins, they don't have to deal with spending the next 3/4 years of their life at university you know you should not be at because you are better than it and the people there, they have not spend several hundred on transport to interviews.

I highly doubt LSE, UCL and Warwick will give me a offer now, if Bristol rejected me what chance do I have at any of them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sgany
98% UMS, 7A* Predictions, for the Irish Leaving Certificate, not even pooled. Average/bad interview, must have done me out a place I presume. It is pretty annoying with everyone I know attempting to comfort me, they don't have to put up with the feelings of failure and rejection, they don't have to put up with looking at all the people who got offers celebrating, they don't have their career hopes pretty much shattered, their confidence is not laying in ruins, they don't have to deal with spending the next 3/4 years of their life at university you know you should not be at because you are better than it and the people there, they have not spend several hundred on transport to interviews.

I highly doubt LSE, UCL and Warwick will give me a offer now, if Bristol rejected me what chance do I have at any of them.

this is probably small fry for you atm, but bristol rejected me and i got offers from warwick and durham (i see you're not applying to the latter but it's a similar level of uni)
also, if you work well at whichever uni you go to and get a good degree and place yourself in the best possible position cv wise, i'm sure you'll achieve great things in your career :smile: :console: hopefully as time goes by you'll begin to see you can still succeed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Original post by kettlechips
this is probably small fry for you atm, but bristol rejected me and i got offers from warwick and durham (i see you're not applying to the latter but it's a similar level of uni)
also, if you work well at whichever uni you go to and get a good degree and place yourself in the best possible position cv wise, i'm sure you'll achieve great things in your career :smile: :console: hopefully as time goes by you'll begin to see you can still succeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

My GCSEs are extremely bad, so I doubt Warwick will give me an offer. Cambridge were the only university that would ask for a transcript, so they were my main hope. I can succeed I know that, I just have to put up with being in a crappy place I don't want to be. Thank you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Got my rejection letter yesterday for maths at queens, kinda feeling stung by the rejection. I had 12A*s at GCSE, 6As at AS and predicted 5 A*s at A2 from a middle comprehensive school, just mucked up my first interview. I went in so nervous and just didn't think straight, came out knowing it had gone badly. It sucks because both my parents went to Cambridge, and so have a lot of my other relatives, everyone kinda expected me to get in and the rejection is just embarrassing more than anything. My friend got an offer for the same course at another college and while I'm happy for him I can't help feel a little jealous and keep comparing myself to him...

I have offers from Warwick, nottingham and southampton, not heard from bath yet, so I k ow its not the end of the world, just hate feeling inadequate, I'm not really used to failing in as modest way as that can be said (really hope that doesn't sound arrogant).

I applied for deferred entry anyway as I will be undergoing surgery in the next year and need time off so am tempted to re apply, but would that mean I lose the offers I have (also for deferred entry).

Idk, I just feel kind of bitter and upset, can't help but replay the interview in my head and wish I could go back and try again :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 189
I've read through the whole thread. You guys are all amazing, to even be able to (realistically) consider applying to Oxbridge is a feat in itself.
After being rejected a month or so ago (the email only said I hadn't made it to interview) I was really excited today when I recieved an email telling me I'd been pooled. An hour later I recieved an email telling me the previous email was a mistake. Thanks Cambridge!

P.S I found this on the internet http://deadspin.com/5933467/i-would-like-to-extend-you-a-counter+offer-to-suck-my-dick-a-rejected-jobseeker-sends-the-padres-the-best-letter-ever and now feel really tempted to send Cambridge a similar email. At least I'd go down in school history for being a legend.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well I was interviewed but rejected for medicine at Cambridge but I have an offer from Kings tbh medicine is my dream- Oxbridge was just the cherry on top
Original post by innerhollow
My uni is filled with so-called "Oxbridge rejects". Trust me when I say that you will soon stop caring about your rejection from Oxford/Cambridge, especially once you actually start uni. You will be just as happy at whichever uni you do go to- be it UCL, Durham, Imperial or wherever- and do just as well as you would have done.

The "Bright Side" is that it doesn't matter, life goes on. You can have a good time at uni, get top grades, make mum and dad (and yourself) proud, get a kick-ass graduate job; whatever it was that made you want to go to Oxford, Cambridge or any other university in the first place. It's up to you from here on now.

I know its an old post, but thanks for that.
Reply 193
I am seriously considering reapplying if I do not get an offer from UCL/Warwick/LSE instead of going to Trinity College Dublin. I think with a non-stressed out interview and my actual grades I could pull it off. Not sure how to convince my parents to let me take a gap year though. :frown:
Reply 194
The bright side is you can go to another university! I just got rejected. Sure, Cambridge is well-known and all that, and until I received my solid rejection letter I was believing in Cambridge being the best choice. However, right now I've changed my mindset to comfort myself: Bachelors degree doesn't matter that much anyway, because no matter where you go, you'll receive more or less the same knowledge. It's from master's onwards that things get serious.

I know it's hard to accept a rejection and I am sad nonetheless, but that's just how it is and it's an ugly truth that we don't always get what we want in life. That's just how things work. :smile:
Original post by Rolandxy
I was rejected by Cambridge for Law. Again, all were platitudes and cold comforts in the letter. I think what makes some of us hard to get over ourselves is that we've paid a lot of effort in the application process. I had been reading widely about my subject and actually believed that I would come out as one of the most knowledgeable candidates before the interview. I did well in my interview and the Law test; I wrote a brilliant personal statement; I had high intellectual capabilities and I really thought that I was making it into Cambridge.

It was definitely painful to be rejected after so many things I did to lick myself into shape before the test and the interview. Teachers were putting pressure on me, hoping that I'd get an offer. And after the interview, I spent a lot of time wandering about in the university site every day and dreaming what would happen to me after I got in.

And frankly, even though I'm trying to forget about the rejection, I still think that not being able to get an undergraduate degree from Cambridge means that there is less chance of success in my future (I'm not saying there's none, but less). So far, Warwick and Durham have accepted me for Law and I am feeling 'okay' about it, but definitely 10 times not as happy as I would if I got into Cambridge. People said that most employers consider the level of your degree, but still an applicant with post-initials BA(Cantab) or BA(Oxon) will give a better impression to the employer than an applicant with LLB(War) or LLB(Dunelm). And yes, getting in Oxbridge is all about laying hands on their prestige and fame, at least that's why I chose Cambridge.

Still, if you force me to think about any bright side of my rejection, I'd say that as long as you have money after finishing your undergrad degree (unfortunately my family doesn't), you can always apply for post-graduate studies in Oxbridge. If they reject you, reapply again year after year until you get in (you may be working in a firm or something by then) because eventually you'll get in.

But it's terribly painful to get the rejection. I was really shocked when I read in the letter 'we've given your application very careful consideration, but...'. The word 'but' still lingers in my mind every day and I keep reading the rejection letter again and again to make sure I didn't miss anything. I can now memorise the entire letter. I'm sure everyone like me will be thinking: "how come an applicant as strong as me is not accepted?" But we've got to admit and accept that it's because there are even stronger people out there.

Well, would someone care to give me some warm comfort? And how should I get over myself before getting into university?

I completely empathise with you, brother. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.. I guess it is best to somehow move on and realise that not having the elite badge isn't the end of the world at all. There's a lot of luck involved and I'm sure that Oxford and Cambridge, like all other universities, have certain quotas to fill meaning that for some it could be even more of an uphill struggle than others. The bottom line is that you should never doubt yourself, getting rejected from Oxford yesterday has made me distraught but I'm not going to concede and say "everyone else was better than me anyway".
(edited 11 years ago)
The bright side here is that while at Bristol or Notts or wherever it's now to be you can pop out for a packet of fags without having to fear that your hungover demeanour, bed-head, and suspiciously stained dressing gown will become permanent record on the Chinese internet.
I love all the 'go to Oxbridge for graduate school' posts, from people who are still at school.

1) No one cares where your PhD is from.
2) They may not even offer your course for master's or have a suitable supervisor for PhD.
3) May be offered a funded position elsewhere.

Most importantly, since I've started my PhD I've realised no one actually gives a toss where you went to university. I went to UCL, and another girl to Man Met. We both have the same supervisor and are treated exactly the same. The grade is much more important.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 198
I got my rejection letter on Monday. I had expected it because one of my interviews was really bad, and I also failed massively on the test. Honestly, I have never ever been so nervous in my life as when I stayed in Cambridge for interviews.
I would have never expected to be invited at all, since I come from some average school somewhere in Germany, and am average at maths. I was extremely surprised and felt quite helpless. However I'm over it as I have done all the self-loathing stuff in the past month, feeling extremely stupid and devastated. All of us who were invited should remember it is just a question of luck, some subjectivity always involved - maybe I would have gotten an offer at another college than Caius, who knows. I know it is not so much an effort to get an interview with like 80% being invited, but you're still part of some elite if they think you could make it.

What remains nerve-wracking is not knowing anything about my other choices - Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Edinburgh + Ed Napier yet. If I don't get into Edinburgh or St. Andrews I think I will reapply and go for Cambridge again. Now as I've made the experience, I know I will perform better next time and maybe get in because I really felt that it is EXACTLY what I want! Any case, it is an honour to be there even if you think you're used to such a level of excellence. As many brillant people as there are, there are much much more who would never have gotten the opportunity to even go there.
Feels like your card has been marked for life all on the basis of a one hour interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending