The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxbridge : The Bright Side

Scroll to see replies

For me, it's not the whole "oh teh noes now i wont get to go to cambbridge :frown:((((((" that hurts, it's just my being rejected. It's not good for my self-esteem.
I haven't applied to Oxbridge, but reading through this thread truly saddens me. You're all such exceptional individuals and it's crazy to think you guys don't feel good enough. You're more than just good enough. Don't let a university dampen your spirits, you're all gonna get far in life either way :smile: Chin up, I respect you all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Nturtanyr
The main reason I'm getting down from this is mainly my image. I've been numerously embarassed and had blows to my self-esteem by many peopls that claim to be "smarter". I was simply 'one of the smartest' in High School and sub-average amongst the higher than average, and now in Sixth Form they've all gone to more 'prestigious' centers. But now everyone has labelled me as smartest in Sixth Form (which of course, is subjective. I may be getting the best grades in Mathematics so far, but from a general viewpoint I'm rather out of my league to many other folk.)

But I know, comparatively, I'm not special. There were those that back in High School just would not recognise my opinions, and state their superiority, because I BELIEVE in Astrology and Spirituality, I LIKE religion, I am a pacifist, a communist and have strong opinion on the human race's initiative.

And I just can't argue. They'll probably go to Oxbridge, whilst I've been rejected. And it's a simple statement that I can't argue that they aren't superior. I feel completely unable to say anything to stand against any of their points of view.

I liked Cambridge. It looked nice and so did the course, but I did want it to show that my opinions were valid and that no one should think they are better than me...

(Note: Sorry if you take offense, I do not refer to that I am better than everyone, but rather we are all part of a subjective spectrum and that no one is superior to anyone, no matter what; everyone has some quality they excel in. I stand by that principle and I find it distasteful the Atheists who proclaim Christianity as false and vice versa; the scientific minds versus the manual labourers; the millionaires and fat cats running business, thinking they are above the common man.)

"I wanted to argue from authority* and now I can't! B'awwwwwww"

*See: logical fallacies

I'm sure if you had reasonable arguments for believing what you do people wouldn't laugh or down-vote you like this. The fact that you seem to care only about getting into Cambridge to say "I'm smarter than you so I'm right" kind of makes me lose all sympathy for you not getting a place.

Original post by Trafficongestion
I haven't applied to Oxbridge, but reading through this thread truly saddens me. You're all such exceptional individuals and it's crazy to think you guys don't feel good enough. You're more than just good enough. Don't let a university dampen your spirits, you're all gonna get far in life either way :smile: Chin up, I respect you all

Posted from TSR Mobile

This!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 203
YOU GUYS. YOU'RE ALL AMAZING.
I got rejected post-interview for Law at St. John's, Oxford.
I did what I could, I was completely honest with them about my motivation to study Law, and if they didn't want me after that then sod 'em. You don't want to study somewhere that your outlook on your subject isn't understood or valued.
Interviews were an incredibly draining experience, both physically (9 hours sleep over 3 nights) and mentally (my room felt like a prison) and afterwards to get a rejection while all of my friends were getting offers felt like being punched repeatedly in the stomach.

But now, I think it's for the best. Now I get to study in LONDON and I get to study the course I love best (even if the name doesn't have as much gravitas as Oxford) and pave my own path. I can't wait.

You're all incredibly smart, and Oxford and Cambridge will be kicking themselves in a few years when they hear of what you guys have achieved.
Nothing left for it than to go forth and make Oxbridge drop a good ten places down the league tables xxxx
Reply 204
Original post by DiyaM95
YOU GUYS. YOU'RE ALL AMAZING.
I got rejected post-interview for Law at St. John's, Oxford.
I did what I could, I was completely honest with them about my motivation to study Law, and if they didn't want me after that then sod 'em. You don't want to study somewhere that your outlook on your subject isn't understood or valued.
Interviews were an incredibly draining experience, both physically (9 hours sleep over 3 nights) and mentally (my room felt like a prison) and afterwards to get a rejection while all of my friends were getting offers felt like being punched repeatedly in the stomach.

But now, I think it's for the best. Now I get to study in LONDON and I get to study the course I love best (even if the name doesn't have as much gravitas as Oxford) and pave my own path. I can't wait.

You're all incredibly smart, and Oxford and Cambridge will be kicking themselves in a few years when they hear of what you guys have achieved.
Nothing left for it than to go forth and make Oxbridge drop a good ten places down the league tables xxxx

Thank you, that is inspiring! :smile:
Reply 205
Original post by Cutmeloose
Feels like your card has been marked for life all on the basis of a one hour interview.

One whole hour? Mate, I was meant to have two twenty-five minute interview. The first one was cut down to fifteen minutes, and in the second one, one of the interviewers spent the whole time looking at the floor or out of the window.
Can't help but feel a wee bit bitter about the experience.
Rejected from Cam. A*A*A*A at A2, 8*As 6As GCSE, absolute ton of work experience, had an amazing interview and honestly don't know what I could have done better or different. Everyone expected to get in and I don't know why I didn't, whatever it was I don't think I want to know now. It's like going through a really bad break up this. I've always wanted Cam since I was younger it hurts yes.
But I won't look back. What will be will be in a way...My ambition hasn't died.
Good luck to you all.
xxx
Though it may suck to be rejected, never having applied would have been far worse.
Reply 208
Almost got a heart attack when track updated and it was just the rejection, nothing from my other choices. Sweet! - What do you think of the term 'Oxbridge reject'? It crosses my mind sometimes, but I think it is just stigmatizing and makes one bitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by Donald Duck
Though it may suck to be rejected, never having applied would have been far worse.

That's true :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wrexhamfc
For me, it's not the whole "oh teh noes now i wont get to go to cambbridge :frown:((((((" that hurts, it's just my being rejected. It's not good for my self-esteem.

exactly the same here! Especially as I go to a school where about 30 people get in every year :eek:

In all seriousness guys, I've known people not get in before though and be disappointed, yet not one of them is unhappy where they are now. Oxbridge definitely isn't the end of the world you can have a great time wherever you go :smile:
Reply 211
All in all, nothing left to do but stick two middle fingers up to Oxbridge, go forth to another university and make them proud of your achievements, apply to Oxford/Cambridge to do Masters and then turn 'em down for Harvard/MIT/CalTech/Stanford/Yale/UCL/LSE/Imperial :wink:

Wherever you go, you're going to become immensely proud of your university.

I know it's childish and bitter and petty, but I still feel a burst of joy when a non-Oxbridge uni beats an Oxbridge college at University Challenge.

xxx
In all fairness it is easy to say "Ah sod 'em, you'll go to another great uni and enjoy yourself waaaay more than you ever would at oxbridge" if you have some solid offers supporting you already; but some people are still waiting (including me, i haven't got any offers from where i really want to go yet) and the rejection letter just made me feel like i will fail at everything and everywhere. So yeah..there isn't much of a brightside in any rejections :s-smilie:
Any one else actually feeling kinda relieved that they were rejected? Sound stupid but I strangely don't care anywhere near as much as I thought I would have done. It's so wierd. Like I actually feel happier now I'm not. I've spent years working hard aiming for Cam, like I wanted the identity. But now I'm free from it and its like WOW there is so much more to life.I think I just wanted to prove that I was good enough to get in, but in reality I don't think I would have been happy there.
Cambridge is just a label people wanna wear. Sound cliched but I think you've got to think that you are clever in yourself rather than needing the a university to prove it.
It doesn't necessarily mean that you are 'less clever' than anyone else or that they are a class above you.
Best of luck to you all
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 214
Original post by PastaPasta
In all fairness it is easy to say "Ah sod 'em, you'll go to another great uni and enjoy yourself waaaay more than you ever would at oxbridge" if you have some solid offers supporting you already; but some people are still waiting (including me, i haven't got any offers from where i really want to go yet) and the rejection letter just made me feel like i will fail at everything and everywhere. So yeah..there isn't much of a brightside in any rejections :s-smilie:

Honestly, they'll come - I was in exactly the same position as you when I got Oxford's rejection letter. Everyone else was over their rejection because they knew they were off to Durham or Imperial or somewhere else awesome. None of my top choices had given me an offer and I thought that they wouldn't want me, and that Oxford had rejected me because I'd be **** at studying Law. But patience pays off - two weeks after Oxford's 'sod off' letter I opened my inbox to find a looovely offer from UCL for a course that I adore, and I feel like all the passion/motivation I had lost post-interview came back :biggrin:

If you're good enough to apply to Oxbridge and be seriously considered for a place there, then there's something inside you that shows great potential. And I promise that another wonderful university will recognise that and make you an offer soon xxx
Original post by DiyaM95
Honestly, they'll come - I was in exactly the same position as you when I got Oxford's rejection letter. Everyone else was over their rejection because they knew they were off to Durham or Imperial or somewhere else awesome. None of my top choices had given me an offer and I thought that they wouldn't want me, and that Oxford had rejected me because I'd be **** at studying Law. But patience pays off - two weeks after Oxford's 'sod off' letter I opened my inbox to find a looovely offer from UCL for a course that I adore, and I feel like all the passion/motivation I had lost post-interview came back :biggrin:

If you're good enough to apply to Oxbridge and be seriously considered for a place there, then there's something inside you that shows great potential. And I promise that another wonderful university will recognise that and make you an offer soon xxx

UCL? Fantastic , well done :smile: well my fingers are crossed, it's just it's been so long, all my friends got 4 or 5 offers already and I'm still waiting, the thought of a possible gap year if I don't get my offers terrifies me :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 216
UCL? Fantastic , well done :smile: well my fingers are crossed, it's just it's been so long, all my friends got 4 or 5 offers already and I'm still waiting, the thought of a possible gap year if I don't get my offers terrifies me :/

I know the feeling completely, so don't worry! No news is definitely good news, and some universities (especially LSE and the Scottish ones take FOREVER to get back to applicants). Which course/unis have you gone for? x
Reply 217

Hi, I'm in exactly the same position as you, too because I applied only to Scottish unis apart from PBS at Cambridge. However, even if nothing is decided yet, I would even be looking forward to a gap year now because a) you could reapply to Cam, and, or b) boost your application by doing sth useful and c) earn some money. Maybe that helps :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiyaM95
I know the feeling completely, so don't worry! No news is definitely good news, and some universities (especially LSE and the Scottish ones take FOREVER to get back to applicants). Which course/unis have you gone for? x

that's true, it can be worse :P and psychology at cam and Durham, joint psychology and maths at York, St. Andrews and Glasgow :smile: what about you?
Reply 219
There's not a "bright side" to being rejected from a university which you clearly wanted to go to, and oxford and cambridge have massive advantages over other universities. But it's not a complete disaster, and you can still be happy and successful at another university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending