The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxbridge : The Bright Side

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elizandra
Hi, I'm in exactly the same position as you, too because I applied only to Scottish unis apart from PBS at Cambridge. However, even if nothing is decided yet, I would even be looking forward to a gap year now because a) you could reapply to Cam, and, or b) boost your application by doing sth useful and c) earn some money. Maybe that helps :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's true, I guess the only reason why i despise the idea is that I've been looking forward to uni for quite a while and the excitment is beyond describing hehe, plus all my friends will have gone, but I'll stop being a moany child bow and shut up :P
Reply 221
Original post by PastaPasta
that's true, it can be worse :P and psychology at cam and Durham, joint psychology and maths at York, St. Andrews and Glasgow :smile: what about you?

Ooooh you've got nothing to worry about! You've only gone and chosen four of the unis that take the longest to get back to applicants :wink: They're all fantastic choices though, and I promise you'll hear from them soon and we'll have a mini celebration on here XD

I applied for Law with Spanish Law at Oxford and UCL, and for plain Law at King's (offer), LSE and Warwick :smile:
xx
Reply 222
Original post by TheHairyArmenian
The rejection has been a blessing in disguise. I've moved on, joined a gym and pounded out all the anger into some irons everyday. I feel better than I've ever felt and I know that my so-called "second choice" unis are no worse than Oxford. In fact, some of them have been rated higher than both Oxford and Cambridge. Slightly after my rejection I felt like my life changed for the worse and I was at a really low point; now things have only kept on getting better as I've realised that Oxford and Cambridge only take in people suitable for the traditional, less modern way of teaching (in comparison to the London universities, for example). No doubt I'll take my interviews as an achievement, but I think I will be happier in a place where I can really realise my potential and shine in an encouraging environment.

THIS. Whereabouts did you apply and for which course?

Oxford rejected me 3 days before my Chemistry exam (which I need the A* in). The rejection had the opposite effect of what I was expecting to have, I've never felt more motivated to prove myself :smile: At the end of the day, we'll go where we're meant to go. x
Where you go to Uni is undoubtedly important. But being rejected by OxBridge is not the end of the world, even if it may feel like it at times. Chances are you will be holding offers from several fantastic Unis and will have the opportunity to do fantastically.

What is more important is what you do whilst you are at Uni- go get yourselves a first and get involved in loads of interesting extra-curricular activities and you can be an outstanding candidate for any job you want. I was rejected by Oxford for History, for '09 entry, I went to Lancaster, and am now at law school with several OxBridge grads (with firsts) and yes they are very good, and my friends! But they are not outrageously better than me, I am even beating them in some work and getting work experience placements ahead of them.

It is much more about you, and how good you are, than where you went to uni!
Original post by DiyaM95
Ooooh you've got nothing to worry about! You've only gone and chosen four of the unis that take the longest to get back to applicants :wink: They're all fantastic choices though, and I promise you'll hear from them soon and we'll have a mini celebration on here XD

I applied for Law with Spanish Law at Oxford and UCL, and for plain Law at King's (offer), LSE and Warwick :smile:
xx

haha well hopefully :P and definitely, good luck with the rest of your offers :smile: x
Reply 225
To everyone who's moaning that there is no bright side, well here's mine:

I was rejected from Cambridge for economics, but I was offered a place at LSE. Being an international student from China, I wasn't as familiar with the reputation of LSE, but after speaking to some British people I learned that for straight econ at least, LSE is actually often viewed as even better than Cambridge! London also has the advantage of a large city (let's face it, being in a town with only 1 Chinese restaurant will be hard for someone accustomed to dumplings), which also leads to excellent employment prospects. If I had gotten an offer from Cam I would've had a very difficult decision, and probably would've lived with the "what if...?" feeling for the next 3 years whichever I chose. But now I won't have to make that decision anymore.

Oh, and Cambridge apparently doesn't even evaluate personal statements, which sucks because I poured so much time into mine, and I'm sure that was one of the strongest parts of my application. So thanks LSE for actually reading my work :smile:

Your situation may be different, but do try to search for the bright side. But I WOULD be devastated if I missed my LSE offer!!!

EDIT: why all the negs?! It's sad that there are so many haters in what's meant to be an uplifting thread. You may disagree with what I've said, but there may be applicants who are in a similar situation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cc2468

I was rejected from Cambridge for economics, but I was offered a place at LSE. Being an international student from China, I wasn't as familiar with the reputation of LSE, but after speaking to some British people I learned that for straight econ at least, LSE is actually often viewed as even better than Cambridge! London also has the advantage of a large city (let's face it, being in a town with only 1 Chinese restaurant will be hard for someone accustomed to dumplings), which also leads to excellent employment prospects. If I had gotten an offer from Cam I would've had a very difficult decision, and probably would've lived with the "what if...?" feeling for the next 3 years whichever I chose. But now I won't have to make that decision anymore.

Oh, and Cambridge apparently doesn't even evaluate personal statements, which sucks because I poured so much time into mine, and I'm sure that was one of the strongest parts of my application. So thanks LSE for actually reading my work :smile:

Your situation may be different, but do try to search for the bright side. But I WOULD be devastated if I missed my LSE offer!!!

LSE is definitely considered better than Cambridge for Economics, well done on getting an offer there!
For subjects such as economics Oxbridge are often seen as right wing and a bit closed minded, LSE is an environment that opens up much more options to you.
My housemate did his undergrad in economics at Cambridge and said it was a load of *******s, the course was stupid and not at all applied to the real world. I have heard many glowing reports about LSE on the other hand.
Balliol for History. I know someone from abroad who got in way worse grades which only goes to show Oxford and Cambridge have quotas to fill too.
I'm not a huge fan of tradition so my other choices (bar Durham) are the London unis. I had the same feeling with a Politics paper; it was lovely and I couldn't have asked for anything better! And yourself?

Or perhaps they performed much better at interview?
Reply 228
Oxford rejected me after my interview (for Law). The interview was on 5th December and I did it via Skype, and I already knew I was an utter flop - at that point I only had 2 offers from my safety unis so I was feeling really unhappy...until exactly one week later I got an offer from UCL. And exactly a week after that, LSE gave me an offer too. And then I realised that there wasn't any point moping anymore :smile:
Reply 229
Balliol for History. I know someone from abroad who got in way worse grades which only goes to show Oxford and Cambridge have quotas to fill too.
I'm not a huge fan of tradition so my other choices (bar Durham) are the London unis. I had the same feeling with a Politics paper; it was lovely and I couldn't have asked for anything better! And yourself?

I was John's for Law with Spanish Law. I know that I didn't get in because my first interview was horrific, but the feedback I received basically said that all parts of my application were "very good" or "excellent" - I suppose overall there were applicants who performed better :smile: But it's good that they rejected us if we genuinely wouldn't flourish in the tutorial system. I know that I'm at my best in a class of 10-15 when I can respond to different ideas and I can be exposed to many different points of view, so that's my silver lining :biggrin:

And woooo London! I applied for Law with Hispanic Law at UCL, and just normal Law at King's, LSE and Warwick. Where are you thinking of firming? x
Original post by cc2468

Original post by redferry
LSE is definitely considered better than Cambridge for Economics, well done on getting an offer there!
For subjects such as economics Oxbridge are often seen as right wing and a bit closed minded, LSE is an environment that opens up much more options to you.
My housemate did his undergrad in economics at Cambridge and said it was a load of *******s, the course was stupid and not at all applied to the real world. I have heard many glowing reports about LSE on the other hand.

I'm sorry, I know you're trying to comfort one and other but this is simply not true. The Cambrudge economics tripos is viewed far and wide as the best in this country. People often say that LSE is better than Oxford but definitely not better than Cambridge. The quality of teaching alone is regarded as far superior with reports of LSE levtureers often being foreign post-grads who don't really seem to care and difficult to understand.
Reply 231
Original post by redferry

Thanks!! Each university definitely has its strengths. In hindsight, Cambridge's heavily theoretical base would not have been the best choice for me. Looking through LSE's econ course content, I feel it is a much better fit and the greater emphasis on math in the first year would build a solid base.
Original post by cc2468
Thanks!! Each university definitely has its strengths. In hindsight, Cambridge's heavily theoretical base would not have been the best choice for me. Looking through LSE's econ course content, I feel it is a much better fit and the greater emphasis on math in the first year would build a solid base.

One of the lecturers there taught my Dad at Uni and he said she is absolutely brilliant. From what I have heard LSE links it more into real world sociology type things, Cambridge is more maths and theory.

Good luck and have fun!!
Getting rejected from Oxbridge is not the end of the world, it is just the end of one of your five UCAS choices. There are some very good remarks given by others. I am an Oxford offer holder and commiserate with you all who have the rejections and likewise, I congratulate you all who have the offers. For the top 20% of the applicants, I personally do not consider that the offer holders are any superior than the rejects. Offer holders should feel happy and very lucky about their offers but there is no need to do a song and dance. For wanting to use a better word, I prefer to call the rejects as unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants.
You should move on to one of your other four UCAS choices and enjoy your courses there. There is no need to compare and contrast your chosen university and course against Oxbridge. Doing comparison and contrast will be like needing the self justification to go to that university. All due considerations, to a certain extent, about university and course choices have already been done during the UCAS application stage. If one still feels strongly about Oxbridge, by all means one makes a reapplication but this should be considered very wisely, as others have said, after the results in August and one can then reassess the application status.
Lastly be happy and move on and be successful wherever you may be. This is a first rejection of many other rejections to come. This is life.
Reply 234
Hi, I hope we are all past this by now but I found an amazing video on YouTube on college rejection which all sums it up. It is called Dealing with rejection by American neuroscientist and comedian Ze Frank (zefrank1). Can really recommend it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 235
Original post by Elizandra
Hi, I hope we are all past this by now but I found an amazing video on YouTube on college rejection which all sums it up. It is called Dealing with rejection by American neuroscientist and comedian Ze Frank (zefrank1). Can really recommend it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHHHH THAT'S AWESOME! Thank you! It's a really brilliant video :')
"Maybe your name reminded them of a former lover who left the toilet seat up."

I'm currently wondering whether to reapply or not: as much as I love my other choices, I feel like I came SO CLOSE to getting the Oxford place, and that I chose the wrong college :'( Any advice? xx
Original post by DiyaM95

I'm currently wondering whether to reapply or not: as much as I love my other choices, I feel like I came SO CLOSE to getting the Oxford place, and that I chose the wrong college :'( Any advice? xx

I probably wouldn't bother reapplying unless you felt you really feel you could be better next time - have you had feedback yet? You say you chose the wrong college, but that doesn't really make a difference to your application because if the tutors wanted to make you an offer but didn't have space in one college, you would have been moved to another one or given an open offer.

Do not take your rejection as sign of failure, remember that competition for places are huge, and I'm sure you'll do just as well and have a fantastic time at your other choices. :smile:

PS Rememebr that if you are going to reapply, you will need to make your gap year productive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cpdavis
There is a bright side to this story. I was a Cambridge offer holder and missed my offer (so technically a sort of reject, I'm not sure :dontknow:) But now at Kings, doing really well on my course having a brilliant time and forgotten about going there for maths :yep:

Damn you STEP?
Reply 238
Original post by DiyaM95

I have this nasty internal conflict of desperately wanting to prove that I'm 'good enough' through my results (both at A2 and at uni) vs. having my motivation for exams squished by being told that I wasn't good enough :/

You're welcome :smile:
What is actually the policy for people being enrolled at another uni in a similar course to reapply to Oxbridge for the course you originally wanted (even if you have to start as a fresher again)? I would do this so much if I could.
On the other hand, you have offers from other top unis in London, so there is probably a chance that at least one of them would offer you an unconditional if you applied again alongside with Oxford, taking a gap year.

I'm really torn between asking for feedback and don't doing it. Maybe I'll ask for it but only look into it after the final exams because if it is too negative, it would be somehow devastating.
I got a rejection from Oxford post-interview and yeah, of course I was disappointed but what's the point in dwelling over it?! I think the interview experience actually taught me so much (cliché, I know) and hopefully what I've learnt will help me in my next interview.
We should actually be proud of ourselves for having the guts to apply to Oxford/Cambridge because a lot of people wouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending