The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Freshers 2012

Scroll to see replies

I got an accomodation offer from Ashcroft in pritchatts park! Anyone else going to Ashcroft??!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 81
Is anyone getting grants/bursaries/scholarships?
Do i need to apply for any?
Reply 82
Original post by ReTurd
Is anyone getting grants/bursaries/scholarships?
Do i need to apply for any?

Info about the different funding at Birmingham is here. For example, you would have had to apply for the National Scholarship Programme (but the deadline has passed unfortunately) but not for Chamberlain award.
Reply 83
Original post by DellaLouise
I'm exactly the same :yep: What accommodation have you applied for? Because after looking at all the offers on the freshers facebook group, I think they are allocating by hall at the moment as most of the offers are for Mason and Elgar Court :smile: I applied a week after you on the 10th and I still can't believe they are still making us wait for an offer in August!

Ooh, what is the facebook group? I haven't found a 2012 one yet.. :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by SshLaura

http://www.facebook.com/groups/369068353153079/

It's not very active, think the accommodation FB pages are gonna be set up for just after results day.
Reply 85
Original post by uob
Info about the different funding at Birmingham is here. For example, you would have had to apply for the National Scholarship Programme (but the deadline has passed unfortunately) but not for Chamberlain award.

Did you apply for
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by KopCat
Yeah I heard that too and its got way more girls than boys, which was a big factor in me choosing Mason. Haha not really just wanted an en suite and after staying last year it was class and hopefully party central.

There was quite a lot of reasons I wanted to go travelling so I did, got a few awesome jobs, one on T4 and another which paid me bare and is paying like 6k of my tuition fee for first year so I have to pay the old fee only for first year anyway so made a lot of sense. And I was a bit unsure as to which uni to go to so I had the chance to visit my mates at unis that I had applied to and then after visiting Bham I loved it so chose it. Ohh yeah looks sick, yeah definitely buy 1 of them but I'm thinking freshers plus because I intend on hitting every event but could just buy them tickets later when actually at Uni as I'm sure a lot of people might sell theirs. We should definitely have huge block pre drinks for them :smile:

Same here. Mason seems to have the best events for its people, since it has the most money. It's also nice and big and on the Vale; the only thing annoying about it is the lack of decent shops around. Costcutter sucks and the one there's tiny.

Sounds like you got a really good deal from this gap year! People thought I was mad to start again with the new fees, but I hated that university so much that I didn't care about the money.

I'm thinking the same. It'd be nice if they were more specific about the difference between the normal one and the plus one (I suspect that the fresher's plus includes the ball, which I'll go to), but I want to go to as much of it as I can anyway. Just a matter of trying to get the money now, ha... I want my student loan already.
Reply 87
Original post by ReTurd
Did you apply for the NSP? Have you had a reply?
But dont most universities give their students about £1000 ish for free as a grant or something.

Nope. I'm a current student and the system has been different for us.
Depending on household income, you might be eligible for grants from the students loan company, but I certainly doubt you'd find most universities handing out grants to everyone. There will be a range of alternatives out there however.

Original post by Avvy

I'm thinking the same. It'd be nice if they were more specific about the difference between the normal one and the plus one (I suspect that the fresher's plus includes the ball, which I'll go to), but I want to go to as much of it as I can anyway. Just a matter of trying to get the money now, ha... I want my student loan already.

You're right about the Plus package including the ball. The info is all here.
Reply 88
There has been very bad advertising for this so thought I would put it up here as it sorta goes with freshers. It'll be a great opportunity to meet people who are staying at home or living on campus.
the original link is here: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/welcome/...cal/index.aspx
but feel free to go to this link to register your attendance straight away: http://www.amiando.com/NWZVUVK.html#

DETAILS:
Saturday 15th September
10.30am-2.30pm
iLounge, Main Library
Meet other local/commuter students and talk to current students.
Original post by SshLaura

Original post by KopCat
http://www.facebook.com/groups/369068353153079/

It's not very active, think the accommodation FB pages are gonna be set up for just after results day.

Hi All.

The links to these pages are as follows:

Aitken and Chelwood - https://www.facebook.com/groups/430102707031744/
The Beeches - https://www.facebook.com/groups/184812244986086/
Elgar Court - https://www.facebook.com/groups/510531078962886/
Freshers Off Campus Society (FOCSOC) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/focsoc2012.2013/
Hunter Court - https://www.facebook.com/groups/184690191663214/
Jarratt Hall - https://www.facebook.com/groups/376203715783551/
Maple Bank - https://www.facebook.com/groups/329518743807998/
Mason - https://www.facebook.com/groups/masonhall2012/
Pritchatts Park - https://www.facebook.com/groups/432798993426000/
Shackleton - https://www.facebook.com/groups/343656742393957/
Tennis Court - https://www.facebook.com/groups/438568369520871/
Victoria Hall - https://www.facebook.com/groups/496178350410088/

Most of the content is due to be uploaded by Thursday (results day) ready for when the majority will know where you will be studying and where you will be living.

Have a good summer all and take care.

James.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
About the national scholarship programme, the website says they will contact us directly as they have our student finance info (talking about the £3000 bursry by the way) does anyone know when we will hear about if we are eligible??

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 91
Hello everyone!

I'm the Representation Officer for the Home Students Association and I'm here to let you know that not staying in student accommodation is not going to ruin freshers fest for you or your overall university experience. The Home Students Association is a group of people who are all studying at the University of Birmingham and are home students or were home students for their first year at university (you can move into a student house with friends after first year, but more on that later) who run events and socials to help keep you involved in university life.

Now this advice may be coming a bit late, but I am trying to grab the attention of anyone who has our university as a choice and is planning to stay at home. We are here to answer any of your questions and on results day we will try to grab you on Facebook so you can get updates on events.

Hope everyone is having a good summer :smile:
Reply 92
Listen G I go to UOB, hence my tag.

If your a postgrad 100% go to Victoria, as this is located in Selly Oak, and thats pretty much where all the postgrads chill. There are lots of pubs, bars and fast food joints. Also it's like a stone throw from university and people are very nice there. They will respect that you have exams, and keep it down.
If you want a place where you actually work, and is really nice 100% go to Victoria.

You can see the university from your window in Victoria. The social life is great, I mean it's Selly Oak, thats where all (most) the re-freshers live. Viccys have an ensuite. However, viccys is quite expensive, but you will save the travel costs.

But hands down go to viccys. You would love it.

Opal has some students from UOB but others from Aston and BCU, which is not actually that cool.

Trust me and go to viccys, I was there and if you have any questions ask me.

Original post by kk.creare
guys please help to choose between Atiken , Opal One and Victoria Hall.. My preferences are:
1.) Distance
2.) Social Life
3.) Ensuite
4.) Cost
5.) Students of same university ( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)
6.) Post graduate Student community( i am not sure is it a matter to worry)

I am joining psychology dept for Mres course
and also let me tell pros/cons currently i feel for victoria, opal, atiken ..

Victoria Hall:
Pros:
Very Near
Accommodation in ensuite and quite good

Cons:
From this year its only for Under grads allotted by university but i could book privately but don know how many post grads would be there.. i don wanna be odd man out :eek:

Opal One:
Pros:
Ensuite and nice accommodation
Fees also pretty good
On site gym/pool
Students from aston and city uni too (not sure this pros or cons :confused:)

Cons:
Its in between city centre and university ..so neither uni life nor city life .. and need travel for both..
Since mixed with other uni students not sure how well it goes..

Atiken:

Pros:
Its in vale and hence more events
Green environment
Atiken B and Atiken C reserverd for only Post grads (but i also feel would i miss undergrads :tongue:)

Cons:
Accommodation is not so good and no ensuite(any better insight on atiken welcome :smile: )
Distance is quite far compared to victoria hall
If want to use gym/sports facilities then no near by ones

Please help me guys...

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes(pros/cons) living with undergrads and post grads.. i feel its more to fun to be with undergrads :tongue:

And please tell me in general - what difference it makes (pros/cons)living with students of other unis?
Reply 93
Original post by Avvy
Same here. Mason seems to have the best events for its people, since it has the most money. It's also nice and big and on the Vale; the only thing annoying about it is the lack of decent shops around. Costcutter sucks and the one there's tiny.

Sounds like you got a really good deal from this gap year! People thought I was mad to start again with the new fees, but I hated that university so much that I didn't care about the money.

Yeah Mason looks awesome as well, definitely digging all the wood. So true only down side to the Vale but hey looks like Tesco delivery will have to be on the cards.

Ah no respect to you for doing it, there's no point staying at Uni if you hate it just for the sake of a couple of grand and it'd be affect your results anyway if you're not happy etc. and Bham is way better than Greenwich educationally as well so :smile:

Yeah someone dropped a link above, the plus includes the ball and 2 more events so should be deeeecent. Haha yeah true, still need to sort mine out actually, definitely on my to do list. And the Mason FB group has been made can't wait to find our flat/block mates.
Reply 94
Original post by KopCat
Yeah Mason looks awesome as well, definitely digging all the wood. So true only down side to the Vale but hey looks like Tesco delivery will have to be on the cards.

Ah no respect to you for doing it, there's no point staying at Uni if you hate it just for the sake of a couple of grand and it'd be affect your results anyway if you're not happy etc. and Bham is way better than Greenwich educationally as well so :smile:

Yeah someone dropped a link above, the plus includes the ball and 2 more events so should be deeeecent. Haha yeah true, still need to sort mine out actually, definitely on my to do list. And the Mason FB group has been made can't wait to find our flat/block mates.

Problem with Tesco delivery is that they charge for it, so it's not worth it unless you're doing a big shop or several people order together. Luckily, my friends who are going into second year live near to an Aldi in Selly Oak, so I can shop there instead =P

Ah, thanks for that (I'm really unobservant with things like Facebook groups!). I've joined the Fresher's Fest one and the Fresher's general one, and I'll probably join Mason's in a day or two. Should get a lot busier after results. I wonder if they've filled our flats with all unconditional students, or if they just fill up rooms rather than entire flats, to give more of a mix of people.
Reply 95
Original post by Avvy
Problem with Tesco delivery is that they charge for it, so it's not worth it unless you're doing a big shop or several people order together. Luckily, my friends who are going into second year live near to an Aldi in Selly Oak, so I can shop there instead =P

Ah, thanks for that (I'm really unobservant with things like Facebook groups!). I've joined the Fresher's Fest one and the Fresher's general one, and I'll probably join Mason's in a day or two. Should get a lot busier after results. I wonder if they've filled our flats with all unconditional students, or if they just fill up rooms rather than entire flats, to give more of a mix of people.

Ah yeah that's true and oh yeah near all the fast food joints and a tesco express that'll be useful, aldi will save so much $ haha.

Yeah I'll join after results day when everyone else does I think. Same I bet it's just totally random to be fair and like you said to get a mix. Can't wait getting closer now :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by KopCat

Also Mason not having its own laundry sucked bad. Carrying Xkg worth of laundry between Mason and Shackleton kills!
Do most people buy the Freshers Packs before they go? I don't want to buy one and then find that people don't bother going to the events x
Reply 98
Original post by KopCat
Ah yeah that's true and oh yeah near all the fast food joints and a tesco express that'll be useful, aldi will save so much $ haha.

Yeah I'll join after results day when everyone else does I think. Same I bet it's just totally random to be fair and like you said to get a mix. Can't wait getting closer now :smile:

I know, I've been waiting for nine months and now it's so close! Only like four and a half weeks!

Original post by bonjour_ella
Do most people buy the Freshers Packs before they go? I don't want to buy one and then find that people don't bother going to the events x

I've already bought mine, and I remember from my friends last year that most people do go to the events; it's good way to meet people and all. It just depends how much you like to go out as to what tickets you should buy.
Original post by bonjour_ella

FreshersFest will be a sell out.

It has been for the past few years although by the second week, people do tend to sell the individual tickets to each other as they may want a night off or have a lecture in the morning.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending