The Student Room Group

What is Argyl St like?

Hi all,

I'm going to be doing this walk into the Uni everyday, what is Argyle street like? It seems like a busy thorughfare into the Uni complex, so I pressume it should be safe.

What's Kelvin way like after dark? Seeing as Im going to finish around 5 - 6 every day

thanks

HA. why am i getting negged? Ive never lived in Glasgow before. Seemed prudent to ask.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dreadnaut
Hi all,

I'm going to be doing this walk into the Uni everyday, what is Argyle street like? It seems like a busy thorughfare into the Uni complex, so I pressume it should be safe.

What's Kelvin way like after dark? Seeing as Im going to finish around 5 - 6 every day

thanks

The way you've linked to doesn't go over Kelvin way, so there's that. On Kelvin way at 5 or 6 at night you'll have no worries. 11 or 12 it's somewhere I avoid as it's very dark and quiet. Oh yeah, it's also filled with people cruising for gay prostitutes. (couple of people I know have been propositioned there actually)
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
The way you've linked to doesn't go over Kelvin way, so there's that. On Kelvin way at 5 or 6 at night you'll have no worries. 11 or 12 it's somewhere I avoid as it's very dark and quiet. Oh yeah, it's also filled with people cruising for gay prostitutes. (couple of people I know have been propositioned there actually)

did you click the walking button? think the default is via car, which takes the motorway

So the route is generally sound at reasonable hours, that's good to hear.

What are your thoughts on Argyle street, is that generally fine as well?
(edited 12 years ago)
Argyle street is where you get to see most of the Jeremy Kyle candidates go into town and walk around the place. It's harmless during the day, but I wouldn't wander around by myself at night.
Reply 4
Original post by dreadnaut
did you click the walking button?

So the route is generally sound at reasonable hours, that's good to hear.

What are your thoughts on Argyle street, is that generally fine as well?

Jesus I not only have to follow a link I need to CLICK ANOTHER BUTTON? I'm too old for this ****.

But yes, Kelvin Way is fine at that time although personally I'd get the subway/walk the other way when it's later on.

Argyle street is also OK, the whole West End is quite a nice wee bubble. In general there are very few places in the West End that aren't absolutely fine although obviously it feels less safe later on at night. If however you're going up to Maryhill or something, do take a stab vest. They'll still get you but there might be more of you to identify.

Edit: for preference I myself would just walk along Sauchiehall street while it runs parallel to Argyle street and move to Argyle street when they diverge; it's a bit nicer to walk down and has wider pavements.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1
Jesus I not only have to follow a link I need to CLICK ANOTHER BUTTON? I'm too old for this ****.

But yes, Kelvin Way is fine at that time although personally I'd get the subway/walk the other way when it's later on.

Argyle street is also OK, the whole West End is quite a nice wee bubble. In general there are very few places in the West End that aren't absolutely fine although obviously it feels less safe later on at night. If however you're going up to Maryhill or something, do take a stab vest. They'll still get you but there might be more of you to identify.

Edit: for preference I myself would just walk along Sauchiehall street while it runs parallel to Argyle street and move to Argyle street when they diverge; it's a bit nicer to walk down and has wider pavements.

LOL yeah, in spite of the fact they can photo vast areas of the developed world, they can't do a direct link to the different options for the route (it re-optimises for walking, car or public transport)

thanks for the replies :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest