The Student Room Group

Government and Politics Edexcel Exam Question prediction

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mreyow
This exam was horrific. Especially the Politics Parties questions. I'm not sure whether the 10 mark wanted you to mention Millibands policies, if so then I'm screwed. The 25 mark question was just horrific.

What is functional representation?

I skirted around the Miliband stuff and used pretty general party policies like private-public partnership and stuff like that. I got out of it by say that Miliband's had policy under review since he became leader so it's difficult to say too much about "modern" party policy, in my conclusion.
Reply 181
I'm really against the way this paper could ask you on such recent issues.
Original post by Mreyow
I'm really against the way this paper could ask you on such recent issues.

Why though? It's part of the syllabus to use up to date, recent examples of stuff in your answers so anyone who actually followed the news would find such answers dead easy...
Reply 183
HI guys, this is about Unit 1! really worried and need an answer! I did elections and democracy, but in the elections 25 marker, i stupidly forgot to argue both sides (the way the question was phrased led to me not doing so) but i did not think and argued a little bit on the disadvantages but not much at all, little to nothing really! How much could that affect me, how many marks will the examiner take for not including the disadvantages? my essay was pretty good i think apart from that obvious mistake which i fear could cost me aroun 15 makrs? :frown: Also in the democracy question, i included such stuff as representatives spend lengthy amount of terms in offfice, hard to make them accountable etc, pressure groups is a way they can it is effectively operated and fptp the winners bonus and also political participation in why it wasnt effectively operated but then i also mentioned stuff like HoL unlected and unwritten and uncodified constitution. Just want to see how many marks you guys think i will lose!
i didn't mention the disadvantages for the FPTP question either.....oops. Did we need too?
Reply 185
im near sure we did after asking others after the exam! can anybody confirm? and answer my above question please? very worried. Although boundaries have been very low with the highest raw mark being 52 out of 80, really need an A and am worried
I did democracy and pressure groups, I didn't think it was too bad but could've been better by all means.

I am now starting to doubt whether I even ticked the box for my 2nd question though, I probably did and just can't remember in the midst of it all but yeah... now I'm stressing that it's not going to be marked or something. Have I screwed myself over here if I haven't ticked it? It's pretty clear what questions I've answered by reading the first few lines of my a) alone
Reply 187
Original post by srascal8
You scraped an A and retook? Or 47 UMS in June?

I got 47/80 raw marks in June, which translated to 72 UMS as the boundary for an A or 80 UMS was 52/80 raw marks
Reply 188
Original post by ronaldo870
What was that in UMS. 70/100?

A is 80 UMS
Did anyone do the elections question-part c ? If so, did you argue about the disadvantages of FPTP? It's just a one sided argument , right?
Original post by ronaldo870
Did anyone do the elections question-part c ? If so, did you argue about the disadvantages of FPTP? It's just a one sided argument , right?

I wasn't 100%.

I argued that it should be retained, but I introduced criticisms like disproportionality. Then I criticised the criticisms so my argument was sustained.
It was the one-sided, reasons to retain. That's why part b was about disadvantages. That means there's no need to do both sides (I'm fairly sure, but my doubt is simply me being worried that I completely screwed up!).
Reply 192
well the thing was, is i was pretty sure it was a one sided argument but everyone else said teacher said it had to be 2! i mentioned in intro and conclusion 2 disadvantages but no examples etc and worried ive lost alot of marks, really need an A and if i dont get it because of that question ill be so hacked off
Reply 193
For the 25 marker PG question on 'are pressure groups becoming more or less powerful', do you argue both sides or just one side of the arguement :s-smilie:
Reply 194
Original post by pammii25
For the 25 marker PG question on 'are pressure groups becoming more or less powerful', do you argue both sides or just one side of the arguement :s-smilie:

Both, it says 'more or less' so both...
Reply 195
I did the elections part c question. I'm pretty sure it only said why the fptp system should be retained so I just mentioned the advantages.
People, people, it should be common knowledge that for the essay based questions, part C, you need to evaluate both sides of the argument, failure to do so I;'m pretty sure means you can only get a maximum of 12/13 marks, with a great one sided answer. Even a little evaluation will push you into a max of 15/16.
If it says "outline the arguments for retaining FPTP" that in no way suggests 2 sides of the argument. I had this done before when I was doing a practice essay and I got 10/25 since only half of it was relevant.
Original post by starkrush
If it says "outline the arguments for retaining FPTP" that in no way suggests 2 sides of the argument. I had this done before when I was doing a practice essay and I got 10/25 since only half of it was relevant.

But Part C is for you to demonstrate your ability to argue.

Look on page 16.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June09-ms/8GP01_GCE_%20ASlevel_GovernmentandPolitics_msc_20090717_US02%E2%80%A6.pdf

You clearly need to argue, that FPTP question on page 16 didn't lend itself for argument, why is it included in the mark scheme I wonder...:eek:
Original post by srascal8
But Part C is for you to demonstrate your ability to argue.

Look on page 16.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June09-ms/8GP01_GCE_%20ASlevel_GovernmentandPolitics_msc_20090717_US02%E2%80%A6.pdf

You clearly need to argue, that FPTP question on page 16 didn't lend itself for argument, why is it included in the mark scheme I wonder...:eek:

Unconvinced - it says assess so requires criticisms of the arguments. The one in the exam said outline. We'll see I guess... :s-smilie:

Edit: 2010 June had "make out a case" - http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/june2010-ms/6GP01_01_msc_20100716.pdf . It doesn't say argue there.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending