The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Business Studies Unit 1 11th January

Scroll to see replies

was anyone else told that this paper was a replacement cause the original one had been leaked? :s
it was definitely harder than other past papers :frown:
Yes this was a replacement paper. I think they pulled it out of the toilet paper dispenser at AQA HQ
Reply 182
I seemed to get confused on the last question, I correctly identified that he would (based on his figures) achieve a profit of £15K+ however I did look at the opening balance for the 2013 period and did not know if I should deduct the opening balance from the profit made - gladly I changed my mind in the last 5 minutes of the exam to show that he would make his target.

I didn't find the exam hard to an extent however the wording of the exam in terms of hiding the additional variable cost on the other page would have confused many people (It did with me at first, had to go back and change my calculations!)
Last year's exam was hard too, they lowered the boundary to 42 for an A. Maybe they're trying to keep it that way?
well we'll all have to wait till march to find out
Original post by radleybear
Yes this was a replacement paper. I think they pulled it out of the toilet paper dispenser at AQA HQ

sound like they did just that :mad:
Reply 186
Original post by woodhamboyluke
Take away 690? Think I got something like 15,690. Thought that was right. I worked out the 3rd year profit originally D: Had to recalculate it all.

Because it asked for the profit in year 2 only I worked it out for year one and year two so then after that I got the rest of the question wrong because I forgot to take one stupid thing away :l
Messed up total contribution because I couldent find out where to get the figures from, i must be stupid, but I put the formular for it so hopefully I'll get at least one mark/: Profit i got a negative .. i do not know how but i did!!! now ive found out its 690- great. Stupid question on break even output was rediculous, there were too many numbers flying around in the case study i couldent work it out- especially under so much pressure. I ended up with 5 minutes; to do a 15 mark question. Overall its fair to say ive done awful, I was not expecting it to be so hard.
Original post by butterflyy

Original post by butterflyy
sound like they did just that :mad:

I had to do mine at a local school on my own, an invigilator for AQA turn up as well, wish i'd rolled up my exam paper and beat him about the head with it now
did we really have to use the cash flow chart we were given for any of the calculations?
Original post by homousandfalafel

Original post by homousandfalafel
Messed up total contribution because I couldent find out where to get the figures from, i must be stupid, but I put the formular for it so hopefully I'll get at least one mark/: Profit i got a negative .. i do not know how but i did!!! now ive found out its 690- great. Stupid question on break even output was rediculous, there were too many numbers flying around in the case study i couldent work it out- especially under so much pressure. I ended up with 5 minutes; to do a 15 mark question. Overall its fair to say ive done awful, I was not expecting it to be so hard.

i spent far to long just extracting the figures from the paper, they way it was written was awful and pointless, unless your going to be a forensic accountant when would you ever see business figures like that?
Original post by radleybear
I had to do mine at a local school on my own, an invigilator for AQA turn up as well, wish i'd rolled up my exam paper and beat him about the head with it now

should've done that :biggrin: we were all cursing AQA as soon as we left the exam room and our business teacher joined in :cool:
Reply 192
People are really panicking. I don't see how it was so hard? Was pretty simple bar a question or 2.
Reply 193
Original post by Wonderstruck
Omg, totally forgot about that :O

No, it said In 2012, expected profit. First year of trading, stop confusing people.
When will the paper and mark scheme get put on the Internet?
Reply 195
Everyone's worrying over a few 3 markers.

You will get method marks even if you get it wrong, and besides the grade boundaries are always quite low.

For other areas of worries, don't. How can someone over the internet tell you if your 15 mark question is wrong? They can't. I'm sure everyone will be fine! :biggrin:
Hi I am in Year 10 and was picked to do this paper in advance, I must admit this paper was relatively harder than the past ones, mainly because of the questions weren't really what we expected them to be.:s-smilie:

Anyway some answers I remember: (I have checked calculations with others sitting the exam so I am pretty sure they are correct)

1 a) i - Define Market Segment: Completely forgot to remember this one, so I came up with segment means different aspects of target market such as age and sex. Hopefully I could get at least a mark for this one.

1 a) ii- Define Electronic Market: Again I don't think I've seen a proper definition for this one, but it was pretty obvious that all the sales and transaction are done via online and not physically. AQA doesn't want us to take the easy marks for knowledge.:mad:

1 b) How personalizing T-Shirts could add value: USP, differentiates its prodcuts from competitors, attract more customers, more revenue, should be enough to obtain at least 3 marks for that one.

1 c) Contribution: VC was 3.29 + 50p (nearly missed that on the second page), SP was 9.2, 9000 units sold, correct answer is 48690 pounds.

1 d) Profit for 2012: TR was 9000 x 9.2= 82800, FC was 48000 (it already includes rent), VC was 3.79 x 9000= 34110, TC was 82110, correct answer is 690 pounds.

1 e) Primary Market Research: Benefits only, no need to write disadvantages, allows Pierre to realise quality is more important than price, so he decides to buy high-quality clothes instead. research is specific and up to date.

2 a) Overdraft: Have no preparation for this at all: made them up at the last minute, I wrote the money can help the deficit shown in opening balance, business can operate smoothly, overdraft is flexible and easily budgeted.

2 b) Break-even: Put calculated figures can get you application marks, BE for 2012 was 8872 units, so MoS is 128 units, increase in sales by 30% annum can further increase the MoS, if Pierre wants to decrease BE either work at home, but not enough space + stress, or buy medium-quality T-shirts, but decrease quality and might lose customers, he could decrease other variable costs. Forgot what I wrote for evaluation

2 c) Objectives: definition of objective, profit for 2013 was 15297, higher than his target, it is possible to achieve if he manages to stick to his targets, however changes in the market are unpredictable, the close down of the major competitor might lose customers in the market since they might be loyal to the company, his primary market research was based on 15 people, too small sample. Evaluation: needs more market research to create more accurate estimates, and something else but i couldn't remember

Hopefully this helps and I aiming for an A.:smile:

P.S. Opening balance budgets is different from profit, deficits and surplus includes the trade credit time, while profits already included them, so for the last question the budget bit should be ignored.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 197
Btw just to warn everyone, the asnwer was 690 not some 1000 crap, it asked for profit of his first year trading, aka 2012, not second year
Reply 198
Some points on last question if he should stick with his current option

I chose the following;

Based on his market research potential customers would induce repeat orders for high quality items - if he changed options to medium quality produce he'd risk jepadising potential clients
Also his fair selling price in option one with a smaller margin means he's targetting customers needs which cheap prices could be popular within the market - thus potentially expanding his market share

Reasons to swap

Reduced costs on fixed costs ect no rent

Evaluation favoured the current option
Reply 199
Original post by jonathanyyt
Hi I am in Year 10 and was picked to do this paper in advance, I must admit this paper was relatively harder than the past ones, mainly because of the questions weren't really what we expected them to be.:s-smilie:

Anyway some answers I remember: (I have checked calculations with others sitting the exam so I am pretty sure they are correct)

1 a) i - Define Market Segment: Completely forgot to remember this one, so I came up with segment means different aspects of target market such as age and sex. Hopefully I could get at least a mark for this one.

1 a) ii- Define Electronic Market: Again I don't think I've seen a proper definition for this one, but it was pretty obvious that all the sales and transaction are done via online and not physically. AQA doesn't want us to take the easy marks for knowledge.:mad:

1 b) How personalizing T-Shirts could add value: USP, differentiates its prodcuts from competitors, attract more customers, more revenue, should be enough to obtain at least 3 marks for that one.

1 c) Contribution: VC was 3.29 + 50p (nearly missed that on the second page), SP was 9.2, 9000 units sold, correct answer is 48690 pounds.

1 d) Profit for 2012: TR was 9000 x 9.2= 82800, FC was 48000 (it already includes rent), VC was 3.79 x 9000= 34110, TC was 82110, correct answer is 690 pounds.

1 e) Primary Market Research: Benefits only, no need to write disadvantages, allows Pierre to realise quality is more important than price, so he decides to buy high-quality clothes instead. research is specific and up to date.

2 a) Overdraft: Have no preparation for this at all: made them up at the last minute, I wrote the money can help the deficit shown in opening balance, business can operate smoothly, overdraft is flexible and easily budgeted.

2 b) Break-even: Put calculated figures can get you application marks, BE for 2012 was 8872 units, so MoS is 128 units, increase in sales by 30% annum can further increase the MoS, if Pierre wants to decrease BE either work at home, but not enough space + stress, or buy medium-quality T-shirts, but decrease quality and might lose customers, he could decrease other variable costs. Forgot what I wrote for evaluation

2 c) Objectives: definition of objective, profit for 2013 was 15297, higher than his target, it is possible to achieve if he manages to stick to his targets, however changes in the market are unpredictable, the close down of the major competitor might lose customers in the market since they might be loyal to the company, his primary market research was based on 15 people, too small sample. Evaluation: needs more market research to create more accurate estimates, and something else but i couldn't remember

Hopefully this helps and I aiming for an A.:smile:

P.S. Opening balance budgets is different from profit, deficits and surplus includes the trade credit time, while profits already included them, so for the last question the budget bit should be ignored.

Im sure you explained the virtual market not electronic market

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending