The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Business Studies Unit 1 11th January

Scroll to see replies

Original post by radleybear
i spent far to long just extracting the figures from the paper, they way it was written was awful and pointless, unless your going to be a forensic accountant when would you ever see business figures like that?

I know, it was written in such an awful way. So did I, i must have spent have the time trying to get the right figures.. ( even though they turned out to be the wrong figures) I just think they needed more varied questions, they never asked about entrepreneurs, franchise, patents etc.... would have helped if they gave us longer time aswell. Exactly, you wouldent. hmm its silly and annoying.
Reply 201
Man **** sake I didnt add the 3 pounds onto my variable cost, I initially skipped the calculations because I couldnt find the unit sold....until i was Q2 .. and ended up rushing through the whole of the calculations
Reply 202
In my exam idiocy i didnt connect the words 'cost of high quality tshirts' to variable costs. So annoyed with myself
Reply 203
Original post by HP348
In my exam idiocy i didnt connect the words 'cost of high quality tshirts' to variable costs. So annoyed with myself

same here i think i need to go to autism classes
Reply 204
No offence to anyone but HOW DID YOU FIND THIS HARD? Was easier of the past papers... Calculations simple. Boundaries will be 38/39 for an A.
Reply 205
Original post by homousandfalafel
i must have spent have the time trying to get the right figures.. ( even though they turned out to be the wrong figures)

I did this too, worked it all out then realised that i'd forgot to increase the sales by 30% each year so had to do them all again...
When I immediately opened the paper I was like baby I am going to own you, I was pretty confident and did question 1a to 2A very well. However when I got to question 2 I messed up, I decided to do 2c first in which I did a lot of working out and wrote about half a page of rubbish although I do believe I have picked up at least 6 marks then I started 2b with 7 minutes to go I rushed the paper and kind of wrote rubbish, if I am lucky I will have picked up 2 marks ... what is worse is that I panicked and went back to 1c and 1d, so I changed the answer and did a lot of crossing out, in the end I found out that I had done both wrong so I am kind of screwed, I might get a few marks for the correct formula and working out though :/ Overall I think I got a D, which is I do not want so I'll have to re-sit... I revised a bit too and most of the stuff didn't come up :/
Reply 207
Positive Rating!

I did this and then realised it was wrong about 3 minutes before the end of the exam. :frown:
Reply 208
Original post by Tishh
I did this too, worked it all out then realised that i'd forgot to increase the sales by 30% each year so had to do them all again...

Well you got it wrong then as my friends dads the business teacher and he just confirmed it's for year one, not year 2, so 2012, so it's 690.
Original post by franzk
Im sure you explained the virtual market not electronic market

Ah well I might still get a mark for that, considering everyone didn't do well at it, it shouldn't affect too much on the grade.
Reply 210
Original post by destruction

Original post by destruction
Thairshan that is right, well worded btw[ in the exam I lost all my english skills :frown: ]
did you define it though?

yh i did i put adding value is when you increasing the worth of product via modification
Reply 211
is this right for calulcations i got

Question 1d

Contribution is the difference between sales revenue and variable costs.

Contribution per unit = selling price variable price

Contribution per unit = 9.20 0.50 = 8.70

Total contribution = 9000*8.70= 78,300 units

Question 1d ii

Profit = sales revenue total costs

Sales revenue = 9.20 *9000 = 82800

Fixed costs = 48,000

Variable costs = 9000*0.50 = 4500

Profit = 82,800- 48,000+4500

Profit = 82800 52500 = 30,300
Reply 212
Adding value is the transformation of primary resources (raw materials) into produce that can be sold for profit. The transformation is normally manufacturing.
Reply 213
Original post by franzk
Im sure you explained the virtual market not electronic market

From the CGP revision guide:

Electronic markets are virtual markets where customers don't physically interact with sellers - instead, buying and selling is done over the internet through website such as eBay or Amazon.co.uk."

So electronic markets ARE virtual markets. I started panicking even more when you said that as I said an electronic market is a virtual market, and then continued my explanation.
Reply 214
Original post by thairshan
is this right for calulcations i got

Question 1d

Contribution is the difference between sales revenue and variable costs.

Contribution per unit = selling price variable price

Contribution per unit = 9.20 0.50 = 8.70

Total contribution = 9000*8.70= 78,300 units

Question 1d ii

Profit = sales revenue total costs

Sales revenue = 9.20 *9000 = 82800

Fixed costs = 48,000

Variable costs = 9000*0.50 = 4500

Profit = 82,800- 48,000+4500

Profit = 82800 52500 = 30,300

Your method is right so you'll get some marks I think but you forgot to minus the 3.29 (variable cost) from the 9.20
Reply 215
Original post by e1usive
Well you got it wrong then as my friends dads the business teacher and he just confirmed it's for year one, not year 2, so 2012, so it's 690.

Oh, woops. Guess that's lost me a good few marks then.
Reply 216
I thought the paper wasnt that bad (only coz my fav part of business is all the finance involved) however i must admit the qustions were harsh ---- not to mention that the last qustion just took the piss -----

for the breakeven qustion i said he could hire temprory part time staff rather then have the part time staff there all the time because of the sales being seasonal , and there only being a high demand during summer and xmas
and he can increase prices as people will still buy the t-shirts as long as they are of good quilty
Reply 217
last question killed me i wrote 3 lines was hard and ran out of time
Original post by e1usive

Original post by e1usive
Adding value is the transformation of primary resources (raw materials) into produce that can be sold for profit. The transformation is normally manufacturing.

adding value is selling your product for more than you paid for the combined inputs of other businesses
Original post by ydotkhan

Original post by ydotkhan
last question killed me i wrote 3 lines was hard and ran out of time

exactly the same, was so angry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending