The Student Room Group

transferring to UK unis- which IR program to choose?

Hi, everyone.

I wanted to ask for some help in making a decision. I'm applying to UK as a transfer student from Switzerland, and so far I received 2 unconditional offers (Queen Mary-International relations, and UCL-East european studies). I also applied to 2 programs at King's- European studies and International politics, and I'm still waiting to hear from them.

I'm very interested in the European studies program at King's, as it combines French and international politics, and a year abroad. On the other hand, UCL has an outstanding reputation. In case I get accepted to King's, it would be hard to choose between them. Could you share your thoughts concerning King's vs UCL?..

Also, I know that there is a program at UCL which is similar (European social and political studies), which I only discovered afterwards and wasn't able to apply to. Do you think it would be possible for me to make an interdepartmental transfer into that program later on, or probably not?

Thanks a lot! x
I'm not familiar with the particular courses that you are looking at (I am studying politics, but knew that I didn't want to live in London).

However, what I do know is that whilst UCL and KCL are pretty similar in terms of prestige, UCL is seen as having an 'edge' over KCL. As that is the case, I would suggest that you opt for your preferred course, rather than uni.
Hi angelaswiss,

Actually I am pretty much in the same position you seem to be in, I'm also applying for transfer admission from Switzerland! Even for the same kind of courses.

Not to seem like a stalker or anything, but I'm curious to hear how the whole applying thing has been working out for you, where you're going to school at this point and stuff, could you send me a private message? Because I'm dying to hear from someone who's doing the same thing, especially hearing from a swiss transfer studentw would be cool! :smile:

I know I'm not answering your question, but if I will be given the chance - which I'm hoping for, of course... - I would choose ucl, simply because it's still more "prestigious" and a top 10 uni on most rankings, stupid reason, possibly, but just my honest opinion... :smile:
Reply 3
I'd just choose the uni based on the course you prefer as they are very similar in terms of reputation, and of course remember to check which course has the best reputation (grad employment, teaching quality etc)
Reply 4
Thank you very much for you replies, everyone.

I'm still awaiting to hear from King's (not sure why they are taking so long, as all the other universities have already answered me) but I am now more convinced to go to UCL after all.

best of luck to you! x
Reply 5
Original post by hopefulstudent
Hi angelaswiss,

Actually I am pretty much in the same position you seem to be in, I'm also applying for transfer admission from Switzerland! Even for the same kind of courses.

Not to seem like a stalker or anything, but I'm curious to hear how the whole applying thing has been working out for you, where you're going to school at this point and stuff, could you send me a private message? Because I'm dying to hear from someone who's doing the same thing, especially hearing from a swiss transfer studentw would be cool! :smile:

I know I'm not answering your question, but if I will be given the chance - which I'm hoping for, of course... - I would choose ucl, simply because it's still more "prestigious" and a top 10 uni on most rankings, stupid reason, possibly, but just my honest opinion... :smile:

I'm studying IR in Geneva now. It was actually easier than I thought to apply via UCAS, and the offers came pretty fast. Although I applied early, in November.
What about you? Where did you apply for transfer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending