The Student Room Group

What University should I go to?

Hi! I'm currently doing English Literature, History and Philosophy A Levels with EPQ on the side. Recently got my predicted grades, here they are;

English Lit - A
History - A
Philosophy - B

AAB

My EPQ question is on Classical Literature and history. I thought I would do a Classics/History degree but the job prospects are not what I want and I am now looking towards International Relations.

Mainly looking for Russel Group unis, are there any you would recommend?
Original post by StaticVoid!!
Hi! I'm currently doing English Literature, History and Philosophy A Levels with EPQ on the side. Recently got my predicted grades, here they are;

English Lit - A
History - A
Philosophy - B

AAB

My EPQ question is on Classical Literature and history. I thought I would do a Classics/History degree but the job prospects are not what I want and I am now looking towards International Relations.

Would you be interested in doing a politics and Ir course combined ?
Because I applied last year with predicted grades of AAB and an A* in my EPQ and got offers from

Bath
Exeter
Loughborough
Nottingham
Southampton

These are all courses which are pol&ir which I highly recommend
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by StaticVoid!!

English Lit - A
History - A
Philosophy - B

AAB

Might be a long-winded methods but I personally got a list of EVERY uni in the UK and just went through it. You might find a uni you never considered. Or even just get a list of all Russell Groups and try do some research on each to see if they offer the courses you want and compare them.
Reply 3
Go to several University Open Days and sign up for a range of different subject presentations - not just one.
You need to be certain that whatever degree subject you choose is the one you really do want to spend 3 years of your life studying - and remember many subjects are very different at degree level than A level, and different at each Uni.

Do not get hung up on employability. A degree teaches you 'higher thinking skills' and than is what employers value, not the subject itself. You have as much chance of a job with a degree in Politics as with one in Classic or History - or Philosophy. English or whatever.

Have a look at this list of degree subjects from just one Uni - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/- and look at all those that interest you, especially if its not one of your A level subjects. Most social science courses, and many humanities subjects, do not require any specific A level subjects. American Studies? Law? Liberal Arts? Social Work? All would be possible with the A levels you are taking.

Quick Reply

Latest