The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd be quite sad to see Dalglish go. I'm not saying I'm happy with how our league campaign went, but I think he deserves time to try and fix what went wrong this season.

I think it's fairly obvious why we're not playing with the same style we were initially under him, and that's down to personnel. Is that something where the blame lies with Kenny? Of course it is, he brought in those players, that meant he couldn't play the style he wanted.

But, I saw enough during his temporary time in charge to make me think he can turn this around.
Reply 9081
Liverpool FC are refusing to either confirm or deny speculation that Dalglish has resigned as manager. Boston review gets underway soon

https://twitter.com/#!/danroan/statuses/202362238525378560

so its not true just yet...

Obviously means they are considering it, otherwise they would just deny it.
Think its best for him to go. For the last few months he's looked fragile and shattered in press conferences and at times on the sideline. It will be sad seeing him go like this but I can understand it and partly want him to.
Reply 9084
Original post by Zerforax
Obviously means they are considering it, otherwise they would just deny it.

Exactly. That press release is hardly reassuring.

Our Director of Communication should really come out and say something...oh wait.

Our club is in shambles on the admin side. We really need a CEO and quick.
Reply 9085
Original post by Zerforax
It won't be that black and white.

Maybe Ayre didn't think he was the right man, maybe Ayre does dislike Rafa, maybe Ayre didn't want to rock the boat and lose his position in what he saw as a losing battle (Purslow and the cowboys were going to vote for Rafa's removal).

Ian Ayre hates rafa mate.

He's not coming back, as much as I'd like it.
Reply 9086
Original post by kuks

Our club is in shambles on the admin side. We really need a CEO and quick.

We could have no Manager, No CEO, no director of football and no director of communication. And no new stadium.

It's a farce this.

Whos making the day to day footballing decisions?
Reply 9087
Dan Roan got it wrong. He meant that the results are coming out soon... Review already done.
Original post by Mr.Messy
Think its best for him to go. For the last few months he's looked fragile and shattered in press conferences and at times on the sideline. It will be sad seeing him go like this but I can understand it and partly want him to.

I'd like to think he'd still be involved at the club in some capacity. Probably depends on how outraged he feels if he is asked to leave.
Original post by L18
We could have no Manager, No CEO, no director of football and no director of communication. And no new stadium.

It's a farce this.

Whos making the day to day footballing decisions?

Ayre? Seems to be the last man standing.
Boston is 5 hours behind UK time, so unless something was decided last night, I doubt they have had a meeting yet.

It's 8am in Boston at the moment, doubt they've had a long meeting to discuss, probably still in bed.
Breaking news:

Kenny Dalglish has stepped down as Liverpool manager.

Spoiler

Reply 9092
Apparently I'm supposed to post this in the somewhat irrelevant Liverpool thread (this removes the context seen in the original thread and makes it seem like plain baiting or 'trolling' even though it's not about Liverpool fans anyway):

-------------------

Liverpool turning the corner and stopping the rot after winning the Carling Cup:

Played 16, Won 6, Drew 1, Lost 9, Scored 23, Conceded 21, 2 clean sheets, won 4 out of 9 home games.

Losses include: 3-2 away to QPR, 2-1 at home to Wigan, 1-0 at home to West Brom, 1-0 at home to Fulham, 1-0 away to Swansea.

Moral of the story: If you disagree with me, say so in a polite manner and explain why. Because if you're just a dick, insult me, neg rep me, whatever, I'll remember it till the end of the season when I'm proven right. At that point I will then remind you and swing my own dick about in return...

RE Neg Reps: *sigh* Simple people not getting it. Ya should be giving the moderator who told me to post it here rather than the relevant thread your precious neg reps anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
If Villa were harmless, then Liverpool were hapless. They struck the frame of the goal 33 times this season, the most ever recorded by one club in a season since Opta records began (Fulham were second this season with 24). Kenny Dalglish's men also hit more shots off target than any other team, missed more penalties than any other team (five) and misplaced more passes than anyone but Norwich and Bolton. Chelsea (2816) misplaced the fewest. Stewart Downing, meanwhile, was the master of misplaced shots, firing off 72 this season without scoring. Even Liverpool's diving failed to hit the mark, as they were given more cards this season for simulation (four) than any other team.

There is a stat doing the rounds on Twitter that Liverpool allowed opponents to have fewer shots this season than any other team. Not true. Manchester City and Arsenal were the most frugal on that front.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/may/15/season-in-statistics-premier-league

:facepalm:
Ian Ayre might be gone too.

No direct quotes though, although there weren't any when Comolli got sacked and it was still in the papers that he was under scrutiny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9095
Original post by So Instinct

No direct quotes though, although there weren't any when Comolli got sacked and it was still in the papers that he was under scrutiny.

Opens it up for Rafa to come back more easily

*Throws wood onto the theoretical fire* :tongue:
Original post by So Instinct

Daily fail so I'd question it but it does raise some interesting points. With no CEO/MD, Ayre was basically the most senior to run the club.

Wouldn't be surprised if FSG bought in their own entire team, they've managed to make the Red Sox successful and make plenty of money.

If they do fire Ayre, it's basically an entire backroom to sort out.. :eek:
Reply 9097
Original post by L18
No.

Because he alienated himself from the fans about 10 days into his appointment, and then continued to blame the fans.

With Dalglish I can see some improvements. We play much more easy on the eye football then we did previously, and there are no player mutiny to worry about. Under Hodgson, there was no signs of improvements just moral draining defeats to powerhouses such as Blackpool, Wolves and Northamption. He also managed to piss off Reina, Agger and Johnson (3 key players for LFC) with his 1966 tactics that they all wanted to leave.

Yes, there might have been some improvements here and there, but Dalglish is not an improvement. While he is probably good for motivation because of his status as a club legend, he is tactically clueless. £117m has been spent on 7 players, some of which have been flops (so far). Hodgson spent £24m, but actually managed to sell £26m worth of players, meaning he actually had a net profit.

Add that to the fact that Hodgson had to worry about Europe while Dalglish had no European commitments; everyone was against him while Kenny had 100% support; had limited resources compared to Kenny's copious supplies of money. I'm not saying that Hodgson is that much better or anything, but Dalglish is poor, and should be fired. He spent ~£90m more than Hodgson and has only, what, a 3% better winning record.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9098
Interesting times. Looks like a complete clearout of the club. Tbh Ayre should not be involved in any way with the footballing side of things at the club/day to day running, he should simply be a commercial director.

Dalglish is back in England, FSG are probably mulling over what he's said to them/his review.
(edited 11 years ago)
Finally found out why Block 106 at Wembley was cut off the Wembley360 photo:
http://wembley360.wembleystadium.com/demofa/

Bloody linesmen!

Latest