The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It would be nice to see how much the Diamond Jubilee is going to bring into the country. I anticipate it would be a nice lumpsum.

Only one other Monarch has reached their Diamond Jubilee - Victoria, and she reigned for 63 in total.

This is a tremendous celebration for most anniversaries, let along reign of the state. I thus imagine that the celebrations will be fantastic, and will attract a lot of income for the economy, from both home and abroad.

I'm not suggesting we spend £80m on a yacht (it's over the top), but we really shouldn't hold back on spending, given the benefits the events will return.
Reply 21
The royal family are so pointless, only there for anglophiles to **** over.
Implying the royal family are not worth their weight in crown jewels. They have done more for the country than any of you ever will. If the Queen had sat around doing nothing, the attitude might be justified, but for her entire reign she has had appointments, meetings, appearances, foreign visits etc. All have hugely promoted the UK. The monarchy are part of the very fabric of this country.

The Queen and her family pay their way, in both monetary and intangible terms.

60million is not that much relative to the nations finances. I don't see why we shouldn't reward a woman who has represented our country admirably for so many years.

If only the Queen exercised her royal prerogative, brought back capital punishment and hung you all for treason. (I'm joking, don't get even madder)
It's a shame she committed high treason by breaking her coronation oath when she signed our country away to the EU. The Lisbon Treaty abolished Britain on 1st January 2009, therefore Elizabeth is no longer queen, just a very rich criminal.

So why we buying her a yacht?
Hah. Brilliant. I love this.

EVIDENCE!!!
Original post by el scampio
It's a shame she committed high treason by breaking her coronation oath when she signed our country away to the EU. The Lisbon Treaty abolished Britain on 1st January 2009, therefore Elizabeth is no longer queen, just a very rich criminal.

So why we buying her a yacht?

Source? Brian Gerrish and his paranoid Euroschizosceptics?
If gove wants to give the monarch a yacht then it should come from his back pocket or tory party funds. I don't particularly hate the monarch, but they shouldn't get a yacht from the tax payer.
Reply 27
Original post by Steevee

Let's see, the last large celebration to do with the Royal Family. Oh, the Royal Wedding. Approval rating? Sky high. Added yet another major tourist attraction to the UK. The Royal Family are an institution, and one we should be happy to throw a bit of cash at. This will undoubtabley be a huge toursit attraction, the Diamond Jubilee will be a boost for the economy and a mark of National Pride.

60 Million, a single expense, and a drop in the Ocean. If these happened every year, then you might have a point, but they do not.

So people go on holiday to see a yacht? idiot seriously you monarchists are completely deluded how many people do you know that would come on holiday to England to see a royal yacht?
Reply 28
Original post by lambert1
So people go on holiday to see a yacht? idiot seriously you monarchists are completely deluded how many people do you know that would come on holiday to England to see a royal yacht?

Funny you should say that. Do you know how many people have gone to see Kate Middleton's wedding dress?

Don't be so silly, I'm not claiming people will come here purely to see the Yacht, but that it will be a tourist attraction, as the day will be. You Republicans are petty and simple minded beings :smile:
Original post by Steevee
Sorry?

Let's see, the last large celebration to do with the Royal Family. Oh, the Royal Wedding. Approval rating? Sky high. Added yet another major tourist attraction to the UK. The Royal Family are an institution, and one we should be happy to throw a bit of cash at. This will undoubtabley be a huge toursit attraction, the Diamond Jubilee will be a boost for the economy and a mark of National Pride.

60 Million, a single expense, and a drop in the Ocean. If these happened every year, then you might have a point, but they do not.

I mean - take their average earnings and instead of costing 60million extra can't they skimp on a few things and pay for it themselves
Reply 30
Original post by Steevee
Funny you should say that. Do you know how many people have gone to see Kate Middleton's wedding dress?

Don't be so silly, I'm not claiming people will come here purely to see the Yacht, but that it will be a tourist attraction, as the day will be. You Republicans are petty and simple minded beings :smile:

A 60m tourist attraction clearly will not benefit us economically. It will probably take 50 years just to pay for itself.
Reply 31
Original post by rockitrosie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/15/queen-royal-yacht-diamond-jubilee-gove?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

So it's all very good saying "oh there's tough times, we can't afford anything anymore, yadadadada" yet they can afford a goddamn boat for the Queen?

I get it's the Diamond Jubilee and all, but if we're all in this together than surely she can accept something a little less...costly, given the difficult times and all?

If we are all going to suffer from Government cuts,there shouldn't be exceptions.......... this is like the MP expenses scandal, unnecessary spending for not much benefit for the people who pay taxes.
Reply 32
We should hold a referendum on this.
Reply 33
Original post by That Bearded Man
I mean - take their average earnings and instead of costing 60million extra can't they skimp on a few things and pay for it themselves

Bearing in mind the amount the Crown Estates contribute, the amount of tax money spent on normal people's enrichment and providing services and so forth, I don't think they should have to.
Reply 34
Original post by lambert1
A 60m tourist attraction clearly will not benefit us economically. It will probably take 50 years just to pay for itself.

Right, I'm sure you have done the careful costing analysis then? :rolleyes:
Original post by Guz2
*come into thread*
*see link to The Guardian*
*leave thread*

You: come into thread
Try to get +rep by mocking source
Fail
Reply 36
Original post by Steevee
Right, I'm sure you have done the careful costing analysis then? :rolleyes:

You only support it because it is a 'royal' yacht if it was just '60m city of London tourist yacht' you would be against it clearly there are much bettre things 60m could be spend on.
Original post by Steevee
Oh please. This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or the benifits bill. The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?

Is that the best reason you can come up with for using taxes to buy someone who can live in a wide variety of palaces a yacht?
Reply 38
Totally obscene. I'm approaching angry.
Can someone honestly give me a ball-park figure of how much a President would cost to maintain?

We've got to have some kind of head of state, and whether we have a President or a Monarch, both would cost an arm and a leg, thus people would always moan.

Latest

Trending

Trending