The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Folks, BMI a load of rubbish. It means nothing, bf% is what matters.
Original post by Muffinz
Interesting.

This is pretty cool - as size 16 is the UK average it makes sense, and she looks great!

Oh god im moving
Original post by thetobbit
Oh god im moving

that average includes all the middle aged and old women who've let themselves go. would be interesting to see an average figure for like under 25's.
Reply 263
Original post by sarahthegemini
Because the woman in the picture is clearly overweight. Size 6's do not always have eating disorders :rolleyes: That's the difference. Size 6's can be healthy, that woman in the picture obviously isn't.

I did not say size 6's have eating disorders. I gave a small size as an example and asked if people would call a small size (six being the example) promoting anorexia.
Reply 264
I don't think normalising obesity (or christ help us, promoting it) is good for anyone.
Reply 265
Am I the only one who doesn't think she looks insanely obese in them photos?! I mean, I know she's been airbrushed to death but come on her belly isn't THAT bit and her legs don't look incredibly huge either - that is not to say she is slim but people here seem to be going to the other extreme. :indiff: The only plausibility of comments saying "this is promoting obesity" would be in the possibility that, after seeing this, girls think it is okay to look like this but then carry on eating or not exercising and get worse.
sorry but this woman needs to lose weight, bearing in mind this has been photoshopped anyway.
Reply 267
Shes a fatty.
I think some of you need to calm down a bit.

The word is "plump". Obese doesn't even come into it. Stop going by the body mass index charts and use your eyes.

Some women are just built this way, and for them, it's a healthy weight. Some women are athletic and for them, being thin is healthy.

Although she's plump, she looks pretty healthy to me. And I just leave it at that. It's not about people's weight, it's about how healthy they look. There are too many different bodytypes to be talking about clothes sizes, body mass indexes and so forth.

There are actually some women of the more endomorphic persuasion who just sit naturally at plump. Nothing obese or unhealthy about it. However, they do flirt with obesity sometimes if they don't watch their weight. I wouldn't class this girl in at that bracket though.
Reply 269
she's overweight. No she doesnt look great.

My Reaction:

Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Technically overweight by BMI, but her body looks good to many people. How does that work?

The majority of people agree that she doesn't look good - overweight isn't attractive to most people.

Original post by mel_1991
I did not say size 6's have eating disorders. I gave a small size as an example and asked if people would call a small size (six being the example) promoting anorexia.

Then you shouldn't have made the two examples (the woman in the OP, and size 6's) comparible. You think asking people who think the model is promoting obesity if they also consider size 6's to be anorexia promoters (sp?) is ridiculous because as said before, size 6's can be perfectly healthy which is why size 6's do not promote anorexia. The woman in the OP is promoting being overweight because she IS overweight!

What is wrong with using healthy sized women instead of going to extremes and using an overweight woman. Just because it's the average size, doesn't mean it's okay.
Reply 271

Then you shouldn't have made the two examples (the woman in the OP, and size 6's) comparible. You think asking people who think the model is promoting obesity if they also consider size 6's to be anorexia promoters (sp?) is ridiculous because as said before, size 6's can be perfectly healthy which is why size 6's do not promote anorexia. The woman in the OP is promoting being overweight because she IS overweight!

What is wrong with using healthy sized women instead of going to extremes and using an overweight woman. Just because it's the average size, doesn't mean it's okay.

I know size sixes can be healthy. However, some size sixteens are also perfectly healthy. I made the point because if people think a bigger but common size is obese do they also think a smaller but common size is anorexic.

There's nothing wrong with healthy sized women but would you say the same to brands using size 0 models?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mel_1991
I know size sixes can be healthy. I made the point because if people think a bigger but common size is obese do they also think a smaller but common size is anorexic. Some size sixteens are also healthy.

There's nothing wrong with healthy sized women but would you say the same to brands using size 0 models?

But we're not all talking about size 16's in general are we, which I think can be healthy sometimes (If you're tall etc.) but the woman in the OP IS overweight! You can't deny that :rolleyes: That's the issue - not that they've used a size 16 woman, but because the woman they've chosen is overweight.

And as for size 0 models, I don't even see the relevance of that question tbh but no I don't think size 0 models should be used either but let's be honest size 0's are only ever used on catwalks anyway.
Reply 273
But we're not all talking about size 16's in general are we, which I think can be healthy sometimes (If you're tall etc.) but the woman in the OP IS overweight! You can't deny that :rolleyes: That's the issue - not that they've used a size 16 woman, but because the woman they've chosen is overweight.

And as for size 0 models, I don't even see the relevance of that question tbh but no I don't think size 0 models should be used either but let's be honest size 0's are only ever used on catwalks anyway.

I only generalise saying size 16's can be healthy because you said size 6's can be. For the sake of the debate, I gave the other side. I couldn't call her obese. However she probably isn't representative of the target market for Ann Summers.

Oh, I asked about size 0 because you said why can't they use a healthy woman instead of an extreme and using an over weight woman, I was just wondering if you felt the same about the other extreme that's all.
Original post by inspiration91

I also think that, as the average weight in Britain rises, larger girls are being made to seem more attractive, rather than helping larger girls lose weight. I don't think it's good for the future health of women (and men of course).

there not saying its ok to be 30 stone... there saying its not ok to make people think that they should be under weight... its no better to have a country full of people who are underweight than it is over weight...

even the slimmest of girls have lumps and bumps somewhere...

i think shes beautiful
x
Reply 275
Brilliant cynical marketing.

Latest