The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA4 18th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Is clinical characteristics a01 only. and is issues surrounding classification & diagnosis a02 only?
Original post by holderbolder
Schizophrenia predictions?

Probably something to do with the therapies, either biological or psychological. They haven't been on since Feb 2010, which was the first paper of this spec I believe.
In January 2012 it was issues with classification and diagnosis, in June 11 it was biological explanations, in Feb 11 it was clinical characteristis and psychological explanations, and in June 10 it was classification and diagnosis again.
Sooo, yeah I'd go with the therapies.
Is it too late to start revision? I'm still revising for my unit 3 retake on Monday 😣

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 983
Original post by Amandeep Khatkar
Is it too late to start revision? I'm still revising for my unit 3 retake on Monday 😣

It all depends how good you are at learning essays and that, and if you're revising for psya3 you'll be in the right 'frame of mind' for learning them at least :smile:
You should be fine as long as you've got your noted condensed already (like what you want to incluse in your answers and what you don't like studies, different theories you might use ect.)
Well that's what took me the longest anyway, and then if you just keep going over your plans of what you'll say for each answer you should be fine :biggrin:
Original post by RachelM94
It all depends how good you are at learning essays and that, and if you're revising for psya3 you'll be in the right 'frame of mind' for learning them at least :smile:
You should be fine as long as you've got your noted condensed already (like what you want to incluse in your answers and what you don't like studies, different theories you might use ect.)
Well that's what took me the longest anyway, and then if you just keep going over your plans of what you'll say for each answer you should be fine :biggrin:

Your words of wisdom have given me hope :smile: thank you SOSOSO much 😊

Reply 985
Original post by Amandeep Khatkar
Your words of wisdom have given me hope :smile: thank you SOSOSO much 😊

Haha :') you're welcome!
Anyone got any good revision for type 1 and type 2 errors?

I know that type 1 error is rejecting null hypothesis when true and type 2 error is accepting null hypothesis when false.

But I don't understand the probability of an experiment and applying it to both types of errors.
Original post by Robinellis32
Anyone got any good revision for type 1 and type 2 errors?

I know that type 1 error is rejecting null hypothesis when true and type 2 error is accepting null hypothesis when false.

But I don't understand the probability of an experiment and applying it to both types of errors.

Think of the significance level they give you as simply the chance that you have made a mistake;

So for example if you ever read the experiment has a 5% significance level - That means theres a 5% chance that the results found (whether its a significance or not) is wrong and 95% chance that the result is right.

If the significance level is 1% - that means theres a 99% chance the result is correct with a 1% chance it is wrong.

Its simple - you may be overcomplicating it in your head perhaps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 988
How are people revising research methods?! Cant seem to get some of the things in my headdd, anyone have any useful websites or info? would be much appreciated :smile: hope revision is going well! x x
Original post by Mephestic
Think of the significance level they give you as simply the chance that you have made a mistake;

So for example if you ever read the experiment has a 5% significance level - That means theres a 5% chance that the results found (whether its a significance or not) is wrong and 95% chance that the result is right.

If the significance level is 1% - that means theres a 99% chance the result is correct with a 1% chance it is wrong.

Its simple - you may be overcomplicating it in your head perhaps :smile:

Thanks for that, which is why experiments challenging well supported theories they choose a level of significance of P<0.01 (99% or + is true) compared to that of P<0.05 (95 or + is true).

Explain whether a type 1 or type 2 error would be more likely if the psychologist had decided to use a 1% significance level.

^^^ ANS is Type 2 error, but I don't get the Q.
I've barely revised for this because I'm so stressed out about PSYA3 on Monday :redface:.

For research methods, can they ever ask you to work something out using a type of inferential statistical test and/or standard deviation? Secondly, what are some good ways to remember which statistical test you'd use in different scenarios? I can't get my head around it :frown:. Finally, I've seen past papers where it'll say 'What is the percentage probability of making a Type 1 error?'...how do you work this out?
Reply 991
Original post by thursdayJ
Hiya, just wondering if people had any predicitons for the topics of Schizophrenia and Media Psychology?

Also, my teacher said that synoptic and IDAs ARE requirted for section B, for example with the 12 mark questions??

Are synoptic points needed or not for section B or not???
Reply 992
Original post by Mr.mAddd
Are synoptic points needed or not for section B or not???

They're not needed to access top marks (if you've got enough evaluation without using them to get full marks you will still get full marks!)

But you may as well stick them in anyway, they come second nature to most people and it means you don't have to remember ridiculous amounts of evaluation points.
It's much easier to say somethings reductionist ect. and explain why than come up with loaaaads different points for each theory/topic :biggrin:
Reply 993
For Schizophrenia we can definitely rule out classification and diagnosis right? I think therapies is the most likely question to come up...
Original post by mohit93
For Schizophrenia we can definitely rule out classification and diagnosis right? I think therapies is the most likely question to come up...

It's unlikely to come up, yes, but they could totally troll you and ask it again so don't ignore it completely :smile: I personally can't stand the topic though... So I'm hoping it won't come up :smile: I think it'll be therapies too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 995
Yeah i was thinking of completely ignoring it but i'll just have a quick read through it just in case lol cheers.
Original post by Robinellis32
Thanks for that, which is why experiments challenging well supported theories they choose a level of significance of P<0.01 (99% or + is true) compared to that of P<0.05 (95 or + is true).

Explain whether a type 1 or type 2 error would be more likely if the psychologist had decided to use a 1% significance level.

^^^ ANS is Type 2 error, but I don't get the Q.

The way I remember is by remembering these two statements: HIGH and LOW

A type 1 error is when researchers incorrectly reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative one. This is more likely to occur when significance levels are too HIGH such as 10%.

A type 2 error is when researchers accept the null hypothesis which is false and reject the alternative hypothesis.
This is more likely to occur when significance levels are set too LOW such as 1%.

It doesnt matter whether you get the basics of it; you just have to remember those two and know that high significance levels means more chances of a type 1 error while LOW significance levels increase type 2 errors.
Reply 997
what is likely to come up for media psychology?
Reply 998
Original post by Mr.mAddd
what is likely to come up for media psychology?

Anti-social behaviour's looking likely, and I reckon there'll be something on what's been altered on the spec, so either Effectiveness of TV in persuasion, +ve effects of video games or Celebrity worship in intense fandom (probably not celebrity stalking cause that came up in jan) :biggrin:
Reply 999
Original post by RachelM94
Anti-social behaviour's looking likely, and I reckon there'll be something on what's been altered on the spec, so either Effectiveness of TV in persuasion, +ve effects of video games or Celebrity worship in intense fandom (probably not celebrity stalking cause that came up in jan) :biggrin:

Has influences on decision making been removed from the spec? Also do you have any notes on the positive effects of video/computer games, I only have notes on the negative effects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending